“Very relaxing and just what we needed...”
Review of The Mast Farm Inn

and 1 more site!
The Mast Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Valle Crucis B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We spent 2 nights here prior to our second child being born. We loved the quiet and quaint inn. It felt like we were going back in time... prior to be tethered to a TV, Blackberry, iPhone, etc. We stayed in the farmhouse but the cabins outside looked very cozy. Breakfast was absolutely delicious every morning! My husband loved the gouda grits!!
Everyone we encountered was just so friendly and warm. A place we will definetly visit again!!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My partner and I spent a wonderful weekend in the Loom House. The staff were so welcoming and the accomodations were amazing! The attention to detail was incredible. We had personalized breakfast menus and notes left for us in our cabin. Everyone there goes the extra mile to make sure you have the most memorable experience there. We will definitely stay there again soon! Thank you Danielle and Lorraine!

Wendy and Christine

Room Tip: The Loom House was amazing!
Thank Wendy and Chris... R
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We had tried to get reservations on our last several trips to Valle Crusis but they were always booked every night.finally on a snowy night we were able to get a table. It was definitely worth the wait. The service was excellent and every dish was delicious. I had the chef's selection which was Black Grouper, and my wife had the Sirloin Steak. Be sure and try their grilled Brussels Sprouts as a side dish. The Hummingbird Cake for dessert was to die for! This is a must if you get to Valle Crusis!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Mast Farm Inn provides so much more than lodging. It provides an experience like none other. The employees -- the Innkeeper, the wait staff, the chef, the housekeeper -- all go to great lengths to form a connection with their guests so the experience becomes quite personal and connected. There is a true sense of community that surrounds and supports this Inn and I found myself regretting that my stay came to an end. If you want to truly experience the nature and culture of Valle Crusis, let yourself be their guest. They make it extremely easy to slow down, relax and reset your priorities.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Black Smith Shop. It has a very comfortable bed and a gas fire stove that made the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had the opportunity to have a late Valentines celebration and decided to spend a night at this inn. From the time I requested the reservation for both room and dinner I was treated to a very friendly and knowledgeable staff member. Upon arriving, we were greeted by the Innkeeper with a big smile on her face. She was ready for us! Check in was effortless and in moments we were in our room. The room was tasteful, well appointed and obviously decorated by someone who cared. Small individual notes addressed to each of us; my wife and I, welcomed us to the Inn. It was a nice touch.

Dinner was wonderful. Velva was our waitress and to be honest as good as the food was, and it was, Velva was just as good. Though professional, she was friendly in that special mountain sort of way. Listening to her talk and laugh was a joy. She not only represents this fine establishment well, she also represents the mountains, and their culture well. Ask for her.

The food is excellent, but what was interesting to me was the moonshine menu. As a long time resident of the mountains I am no stranger to moonshine, but since it has become legal it is now out in the open and the MFI has a pretty darn good selection of "white lightning!" If you are a novice try Jr. Johnson's Apple. It is more like a fine apple liquor then what one might think of moonshine.

Upon bringing each of our courses, Velva took the time to explain exactly what was in each dish. We have eaten at many, many fine restaurants but have never had a waitress tell us what was before us! We found ourselves searching for each of the ingredients that she mentioned were in each dish, which made it interesting and frankly made us pay much more attention to the food and thus to appreciate it even more. This is such a simple and worthwhile technique that I wonder why every decent restaurant does not follow suit.

The only downside to the MFI experience was one that may well be limited to the room we were in. Evidently the main water drain was concealed within our walls and each time someone above us used their water, in whatever manner, it sounded like a rushing river. It was noisy and woke us up a few times.

Regardless, the MFI is so nice and the experience so wonderful that rushing water, whatever the source would not keep us from coming back.

Oh BTW breakfast was wonderful! The innkeeper and entire staff that we encountered were great.

I would change the note they leave that says they are NOT asking for tips, but of course they are asking for tips or it would not be there. I think an establishment of this type should charge enough to pay the innkeeper, the maids, the grounds staff, etc (all are mentioned on the tip page) without guests having to do so. Waiters and waitresses obviously should be tipped (particularly Velva!!)

I almost hate I have written the last couple of paragraphs because the experience overall was excellent and we WILL come back.

BTW if you go, take a couple of hours to snoop around Valle Crucis, it is lovely and parts of it feel very much as if you have gone back in time a hundred years. Perfect!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our first visit to the Mast Farm Inn and it won't be our last! My wife and I shared an extraordinary Valentine's Day dinner while staying in the Granary. The food and surroundings exceeded our expectations. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. Yes, indeed, we shall return.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

One of the best vacations of my life!!! I would never have ventured here except my sister got me a gift certificate for Christmas one year. Now I am sure I will be back every Valentines Day!!!

Located high in the mountains just outside Boone - the Inn is very easy to find. So cozy right off the road - the house is huge and there are several cabins and across the street a working barn. (Complete with horse and goat and chickens!!) When you walk in you are enveloped with warmth. Cozy fireplace, comforting smells from the kitchen and probably a huge hug from the Innkeeper Danielle! We couldn't have felt more welcome.

We stayed in the Vining room at the main house. A huge room with a working gas fireplace and sitting area. Private bath (literally the boyfriend was worried we would have to share a bathroom - he is hilarious!!) The room was so cozy we found it hard to leave each day. All of the amenities you could need too - even the lotion smelled divine. Personalized notes left to us each day and personalized menus - every detail was attended to.

The restaurant is beyond belief. Every breakfast and the only dinner we had here was fantastic. This is a chef that loves food and loves their job! It seemed as though everyone that works here loves their job! I would if i worked here too.

There is also a bar and front room to hang out in and play games. Nothing could be better on the snowy afternoons or nights. Can't wait to be back! Thanks guys for an unbelievable time!! :-D

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valle Crucis
Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
Meadowbrook Inn
Meadowbrook Inn
#7 of 16 in Blowing Rock

Been to The Mast Farm Inn? Share your experiences!