“Great place to get your horseback riding fix”
Review of Dutch Creek Trails

Dutch Creek Trails
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I don't get to ride horses very often, but it's one of my favorite things to do. I've had some trail riding experiences that were a real bummer (15 horses nose to butt trudging through uninspiring scenery for an hour), but this wasn't one of them. Keith and Travis couldn't have been any nicer. I went by myself and felt completely comfortable around them. I've had stables turn me away because they "didn't have enough riders for that time slot" but Travis didn't seem fazed in the least about taking one person out for a trail ride. The trail seems to make a winding loop above the property, but it is absolutely beautiful - peaceful and relaxing with mountain views and rolling pastures. The horses were fantastic - sweet, friendly, and calm, with their own little bit of personality. I don't know what the rides are like when they're really busy, but I'll be sure to find a good time to visit Dutch Creek Trails again!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was better than we expected... from begining till the end it was a great experiance. This is country all the way, layed back local folks making a living. Thanks to the great staff & wonderful horses that made this a time we won't forget.
We will be back.

Tim & Mary from Wisconsin

Reviewed January 5, 2012

My children wanted to go horseback riding on a family vacation to Blowing Rock. We weren't sure where to go and found this place on the internet. We were a little worried when we pulled up because it was so far off the main road. It turned out to be great. The kids (ages 12, 10, & 7) had a great time. I was very nervous as I had never riden a horse before and the staff was able to help me feel comfortable. The trails were a lot longer than I thought and we had some great views. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it to families.

1  Thank VacationMom49463
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Keith, the cowboy poet and owner, is a real jewel -- friendly, pure country, and a great poet. Be sure to ask for a poem! The two guides were very nice and friendly but not very professional. They checked our stirrups and cinches once but should have checked again after a few minutes as the horse can expand his stomach when cinching and then when they start moving the stomach contracts and cinch can loosen. There was a family with us who had two little girls and they did a lot to help them feel confidant and comfortable. My husband was a beginner and they helped him a little but could have done more to make him feel more relaxed. The trail went through some pretty country but not many good long views. Compared with other rides I've had it was somewhat boring. The stable area was pretty rough and not very well-kept and horses were very dirty, although seemed in pretty good condition. Too bad it didn't turn out better because Keith is a great asset!

2  Thank raintree46
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I went horseback riding here for my birthday in August of 2011. It was the first time I was back on a horse since my riding accident last year. I will say the horses are wonderful!! There was only one problem with a horse in our group and it was because the young girl was inexperienced and didn't know how to control her horse when it walked off the trail to much on some grass and she got scared. Every trail horse will go for the green no matter how well trained it is. These horses were calm enough to put up with idiots from their city on their back who thought it was a good idea to start smacking them with branches as we descended a steep trail. Like I said, they're great horses who will put up with a lot of crap from inexperienced riders.

The trail itself was pretty nice. We rode for almost 2 hours, with a short break in between (but weren't able to get off). You can bring your own drink and one of the tour guides will carry it their saddle bag for you. Otherwise you're out of luck while you sit there in the sun and watch them drink sodas and smoke.

My biggest complaint was after our break when the two guides in from of my husband and I continued smoking on the trail, letting the smoke filter back into our faces. Maybe i was brought up around horses a lot different than these women, but I don't believe smoking and riding should mix. If you want to light up while we're all standing around in the sun, whatever, that's your choice. But once we get back on the trail, you need to put it out, not let it blow back in the people's faces behind you.

Needless to say, I wil be returning to Boone to go riding again. However, due to the unprofessionalism of Dutch Creek's trail guides, I will not be going through them.

Adult trail rides are $50 pp for about an hour and a half ride.

2  Thank KT0218