“Fun time Horseback Riding”
Review of Dutch Creek Trails

Dutch Creek Trails
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My children wanted to go horseback riding on a family vacation to Blowing Rock. We weren't sure where to go and found this place on the internet. We were a little worried when we pulled up because it was so far off the main road. It turned out to be great. The kids (ages 12, 10, & 7) had a great time. I was very nervous as I had never riden a horse before and the staff was able to help me feel comfortable. The trails were a lot longer than I thought and we had some great views. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it to families.

1  Thank VacationMom49463
in 13 reviews
"beginners"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Keith, the cowboy poet and owner, is a real jewel -- friendly, pure country, and a great poet. Be sure to ask for a poem! The two guides were very nice and friendly but not very professional. They checked our stirrups and cinches once but should have checked again after a few minutes as the horse can expand his stomach when cinching and then when they start moving the stomach contracts and cinch can loosen. There was a family with us who had two little girls and they did a lot to help them feel confidant and comfortable. My husband was a beginner and they helped him a little but could have done more to make him feel more relaxed. The trail went through some pretty country but not many good long views. Compared with other rides I've had it was somewhat boring. The stable area was pretty rough and not very well-kept and horses were very dirty, although seemed in pretty good condition. Too bad it didn't turn out better because Keith is a great asset!

2  Thank raintree46
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I went horseback riding here for my birthday in August of 2011. It was the first time I was back on a horse since my riding accident last year. I will say the horses are wonderful!! There was only one problem with a horse in our group and it was because the young girl was inexperienced and didn't know how to control her horse when it walked off the trail to much on some grass and she got scared. Every trail horse will go for the green no matter how well trained it is. These horses were calm enough to put up with idiots from their city on their back who thought it was a good idea to start smacking them with branches as we descended a steep trail. Like I said, they're great horses who will put up with a lot of crap from inexperienced riders.

The trail itself was pretty nice. We rode for almost 2 hours, with a short break in between (but weren't able to get off). You can bring your own drink and one of the tour guides will carry it their saddle bag for you. Otherwise you're out of luck while you sit there in the sun and watch them drink sodas and smoke.

My biggest complaint was after our break when the two guides in from of my husband and I continued smoking on the trail, letting the smoke filter back into our faces. Maybe i was brought up around horses a lot different than these women, but I don't believe smoking and riding should mix. If you want to light up while we're all standing around in the sun, whatever, that's your choice. But once we get back on the trail, you need to put it out, not let it blow back in the people's faces behind you.

Needless to say, I wil be returning to Boone to go riding again. However, due to the unprofessionalism of Dutch Creek's trail guides, I will not be going through them.

Adult trail rides are $50 pp for about an hour and a half ride.

2  Thank KT0218
Reviewed July 26, 2011

41 years old and never ridden a horse (scared of heights a bit too) - NO PROBLEM AT ALL! My wife had not ridden since she was a child and our 8-yr old daughter had only been led on a horse before. We rode up and down the mountains and felt very safe and comfortable the entire time. Rode on a tractor hay ride trailer to the stables where they had the perfect horse (mule for me) chosen for us. They gave us good instructions and we got the hang of it really quick. Booking was no problem at all and everyone that works there is really friendly. One note - cash or checks only but I was told when I booked so no problem. Can't wait to come back in the fall!

1  Thank Mikemorris65
See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2009

If you're staying in Valle Crucis, Boone, or Blowing Rock and want to do some horseback riding, consider the Dutch Creek Trails in Valle Crucis. You can actually see their barn from the parking lot of Mast General Store. Some very friendly folks, from the lady who takes your reservations over the phone to Keith, the 8th generation local who heads up the place. The guides were knowledgable and kinda quiet, but friendly enough. The horses were all well mannered. The ride goes up and down thru some very pretty land and there were wild blackberries within picking distance as you ride by. Call in advance as they do fill up. Rides go out at 10am, noon and 2 I believe. Rate is per person, no children's rate. I took my girls, 7 and 9, and we had a great time.

2  Thank 3lionsfan