“Exquisite and Serene--"A Sens(e)-ation"”
Review of Taylor House Inn

Taylor House Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Valle Crucis B&B and Inns
Millersburg, Ohio
“Exquisite and Serene--"A Sens(e)-ation"”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just out of Valle Crucis tucked against a mountainside bank beneath magnificent trees you will find this stately home, The Taylor House Inn. I say "home" because as a returning guest of 15 years, my husband and I appreciate the warmth of this high country getaway from the inviting furnishings to the catering staff, and innkeepers, Tessa and Bernard Russo. This is a destination inn for those who want to enjoy winding back country roads, local art, the colors of the seasons, read a book, or immerse yourself in friendly conversation with staffers or guests, and then retreat to one of the spacious rooms under your down comforter for a peaceful night's sleep. The home-like atmosphere continues with afternoon coffee, tea, sometimes wine, and sweet treats like moist lemon pound cake. Mornings begin with abundant, perfectly strong :) coffee, followed by one of Tessa's tasty and abundant breakfasts such as Caribbean French toast, or an egg roulade with fresh fruits in season. Need suggestions for where to explore? Just ask Bernard as he pours your coffee or juice each morning. The Russos and their staff are totally service-orientated attending to ALL reasonable requests and needs; you are in good care! If you need to "unplug" and truly get away from it all, book The Taylor House Inn. Your senses will thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Deborah M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Valle Crucis, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We are locals who recently visited The Taylor House as part of a progressive dinner through Valle Crucis. The dinner was put together as a fundraiser for Valle Crucis Elementary School. Each restaurant or inn who participated donated the food, wine and hospitality. As with every other visit to this lovely inn, we were greeted warmly by the owners, Bernard and Tessa, who clearly love their role as the proprietors and hosts of The Taylor House. Tessa is a fabulous cook and she had prepared a bounty of appetizers for our first course of the progressive dinner. She served the most delicious baked brie we have ever had, and this was served alongside a fresh and spicy hummus, a sumptuous presentation of caviar, fresh crudite` and more. Everything was elegantly presented and absolutely wonderful, and there was far more than we could eat! Best of all, as our group of eight diners sat and socialized, Tessa and Bernard joined us and told some wonderfully entertaining stories. It was a fantastic start to a most enjoyable evening of good food, good wine, and great hospitality with friends. It is noteworthy to mention also that Tessa and Bernard are legendary for their support of our local community, and especially Valle Crucis School - for whom they host a beautiful end-of -year luncheon for all teachers and staff. We haven't yet had the opportunity to spend the night, but look forward to it very much, knowing that we will be treated with the most gracious hospitality!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NCWineTrail
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

When we arrived, the A/C wasn't turned on, the fridge (a mini fridge IN THE BATHROOM FLOOR) was not turned on, there was no indication that anyone knew that we were coming; the owners weren't there. We turned on everything and wanted to relax. One of the things we paid extra for was our room had tv. When we tried to turn it on, the cable box didn't work. We let the front desk know. The owner came up about 2 hours later, looked at it, and said "I will fix it tomorrow" Tomorrow? We are staying only one night! When we informed him, he said "You need it tonight?" Darn right I need it tonight! He did fix it after we challenged his blow off of fixing it the next day. Oh, while fixing it he informed us we had better not go out on the 'private patio' (3 boards nailed together stuck out on top of the roof with wires hanging all around us) because LAST WEEK there had been yellow jackets out there attacking people. So even though the 'private patio' was a joke, if we HAD wanted to step out, we would be doing so at our own bodily risk. Fast forward to the next morning. After a scalding hot shower (water starts off being normal and 5 minutes in to the shower runs SCALDING HOT burning your skin off) We FINALLY meet the wife who must have made 3 omelets, cut them in fourths, and used that to feed all 10 or so guests. We also got a slice of tomato, a slice of cold cut ham like you would get in a package, a table spoon of cottage cheese, ONE strawberry and HALF of a baked apple. This was the three course breakfast advertised. Overall I regret following the Watauga Democrat's Best of the Best recommendation. $240 for one night of being ignored, taking scalding hot showers, avoiding bees and hanging wires, and then being starved is NOT my idea of 'the best of the best'. A Motel 8 could have done better. Being nice only gets you so far. This weekend was our one year wedding anniversary, and we could have done MUCH better for WAY LESS money.

Room Tip: Run while you can, this is a bad deal. Go to McDonalds and find a Motel; you'll be better off
2 Thank Patricia B
taylorhouseinn, Owner at Taylor House Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Patricia B from Winston Salem, NC

I must say that this is new territory writing a response to a negative review especially when your husband said he had a good time and would be coming back. If my husband and I had been made aware of your concerns, we would have tried to correct any of your perceived deficiencies or helped you with things like the regulator in the shower. Telling someone that you enjoyed the visit, and then going home to write such a review seems grossly unfair. I was flabbergasted. I think green so do not start the refrigerator or air conditioning until the guests have arrived. The rooms quickly heat up or cool down, and I have never had anyone who complained about this practice. Refrigerators are usually placed on the floor, and yours was in what I consider an alcove in the bathroom area. Rather than being ignored, you were greeted by McKenna, one of our Taylor House Family. I have every faith in her as she is extremely nice, friendly and efficient. My husband and I take the job of hospitality very seriously, so we felt you were in extremely good hands. A great many inns leave the key in an envelope at the door, and you must find your room and figure out its amenities by trial and error. As to “FINALLY” meeting me, “the wife” the next morning, someone has to do the shopping, prepping, cleaning, cooking so it was not an attempt on my part to “ignore” you.
You booked a suite that contained a television; the higher price reflected the suite rather than a particular item in it. Your suite has what is called a Juliet balcony, a small step out. It is also the emergency exit, as per requirement and not a “private patio”. It was only 20 minutes before “ one of the owners”, my husband, Bernard, was in the room attempting to fix the television. When he started to work on your receiver, he found that wires and connectors had been switched and placed incorrectly. After you made Bernard aware that a television was ESSENTIAL to your visit, he went out of his way to make it happen, by switching out your receiver for one from another room to give you instant access to your television. While the owners of bed and breakfasts are everything from gardeners, handy men, cooks, maids, etc., there are times when something does not work. I have not met many magicians in our business.

The Taylor House is situated in a rural setting giving it the bucolic ambiance our guests are looking for. When you are in the country, you would expect wildlife and bugs. Bernard warned you about the presence of yellow jackets as he did other guests. He had been actively searching for their nests, destroying them when possible but wanted you to be vigilant especially when he found out you were allergic to yellow jackets. In our setting, we must work with what Nature hands us, but we work hard to make sure that the more objectionable critters are not present.
Very often washing in an unfamiliar shower means that one has to figure out the balance with the regulator and everyone is different. In many establishments, the criticism is the absence of hot water. I have gone out of our way to make sure that every room provides any amount of hot water required for a leisurely shower or a lovely, relaxing bath.
I am sorry that you don’t know the difference between an “omelet” and an “egg roulade” which is a dish prepared with equal parts of heavy cream and fresh farm eggs, cumin, salt, pepper. When cooked it is coated with some freshly sautéed green onions, goat cheese, French herbs and fresh basil, then rolled, thus the name “roulade.” It is presented with a pasta rosa sauce (4 cheeses and tomato coulis), tomato slices fresh from the farm with parsley, slices of smoked ham, toast with butter and jelly on the side. That was the second course of the “2-course gourmet breakfast (not 3) that I offer. The first course was an apple baked with apple/orange juice, filled with brown sugar, butter and vanilla extract. I usually present it on a plate decorated with a strawberry, a portion of cottage cheese and fresh mint. You had a choice between three juices, and coffee, tea and hot chocolate are also offered during breakfast. Second servings are available; all you needed to do was ask. If anything, I was told I serve too much.
Since you said nothing about the ambiance and charm of a 102 year old farm house, the spectacular view, the charming interior and the camaraderie of being with the other guests, it seems that all you really wanted out of your stay was a television and lots of food. You are right, you really could have gotten these things at our local Motel 8 and paid much less. I would suggest that next time you ask yourself what is most important and book appropriately. The Taylor House Inn is noted for being the whole package—an experience. The other reviews attest to the fact that we are noted for seeing to every need while being a lovely place to stay.
I noticed that you posted only two reviews—one for our Inn and one for the 1861 Farm House Restaurant. I know Alison and Steve very well; they are dedicated to provide nothing but the best to each customer they serve. So far, the guests who have dined at this fine dining restaurant have been more than pleased with the “QUALITY” of the gourmet food, the wines that have won several awards and the enchanted, historic, restored house. We go often enough to be able to highly recommend it to our guests, and have never been anything other than “fulfilled” by the cuisine and ambiance. I want only the finest for our guests, so I refer them to the unsurpassed restaurants.

If I can make a suggestion, if you are not satisfied with a particular experience, say something to the owners. If they do not try to make your experience all you want, then, of course, you would have every reason to write a less than perfect review. I guarantee that you would appreciate this approach if you were in our shoes. I do hope that any readers of this review will look at our other reviews for other perspectives.
Tryon, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a spur-of-the-moment weekend getaway, and the Taylor House Inn was perfect. Tessa and Bernard were warm and accommodating without being fussy and the food was wonderful. Great location for exploring the High Country, too!

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights for a weekend getaway. The accommodations (we stayed in Aunt Sue Room #1) were very comfortable - a king-size bed, two chairs with a small table, a mini-fridge and a private bath. Breakfast was yummy, with coffee at 8 and breakfast at 9. It was fun to chat with fellow travelers at breakfast. Taylor House is near Grandfather Mountain, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Linville Falls, so lots of great hiking. We are likely to return!

Millersburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Boone and our first Bed and Breakfast experience. I doubt I will ever consider a traditional hotel again! The Inn was wonderful and as described and shown in the pictures. Bernard is a gracious host, Tessa is an amazing chief and the entire staff are simply perfect. Book with extreme confidence and enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: All rooms are great inside the Inn. My only suggestion would be to inquire about the size of bathro...
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2013

All you could ask for in a B&B - warm, friendly, helpful hosts, comfortable, clean rooms with all amenities - mini refrigerator, shampoo- bubble bath, really soft towels, screened windows and AC ,so you have a choice, beautiful bucolic setting, wrap around porch with a swing and rocking chairs on which to enjoy your wine and cheese, the list goes on. An added bonus - contemporary paintings mixed in with the typical country decor - stunning and unusual! A full Breakfast was served in a bright, cheerful room. We wish we coudl have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Boone
Village Inn of Blowing Rock
Village Inn of Blowing Rock
#8 of 15 in Blowing Rock

Been to Taylor House Inn? Share your experiences!