“Outstanding experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tryon
Marilyn's Melrose Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Tryon B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Melrose Inn and had a wonderful time. The food and drinks were great, the porch was a terrific place to spend time and we enjoyed the music on the porch on Tuesday evening. Marilyn and Jim treated us as if we were family and included us in thier activities. The town and surrounding areas were enjoyable, including Pierson Falls and antiquing among other activities. I am sure we will return for more relaxation and next time we hope to take advantage of the supper club.

If you haven't been to the Melrose Inn for a long while, we recomend returning and seeing how much Marilyn has brought it back to its former glory.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My sister and I recently stayed at Marilyn's Melrose Inn. It was such a great experience. When we arrived, Jim came out to greet us and carry our heavy bags to our rooms. Our rooms were large and beautifully decorated. I had the Equestrian and my sister had the Floral Elegance. Both rooms were delightful, and the beds were very comfy. Loved soaking in my deep tub.

We so much enjoyed the gourmet dinner Marilyn cooked for us...on such short notice. The strawberry/feta cheese salad was to-die-for. My sister is a vegetarian, and she was very pleased with her special dinner, and I truly enjoyed my salmon with a lemon and caper sauce. Marilyn is a master chef!

The next morning, we woke up early and enjoyed delicious coffee and conversation with Marilyn on the front porch. Then, she provided a delightful breakfast for us. I think those were the best scrambled eggs I've ever had in my life. In fact, I think that was the best breakfast I've ever had in a very long time.

Marilyn and Jim were friendly and helpful throughout our stay, but never intrusive. I so enjoyed staying at this inn, and I recommend it to everyone. You will love the town of Tryon!

Room Tip: My sister enjoyed the Floral Elegance room, with its many windows.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SaludaView
neptune
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The Melrose Inn, Tryon, N.C. is a gem. We were warmly welcomed by Marilyn, the lovely Innkeeper and Jim, the GM. We were given a choice of rooms, (we chose the exotic Egyptian room), given complimentary beverages, snacks and a sumptuous breakfast each morning. The lush grounds, generous porch, and colorfully decorated themed guest rooms make the stay at the Melrose Inn pretty special. Coffee and tea are set by the bedroom door in the morning, and there is a special care for any of your special needs. We enjoyed our time at the Melrose Inn and will happily return for a family wedding next month. Cheers!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Tryon, a great place for a getaway and Marilyn's is a wonderful place to spend that
getaway. My wife and I stayed for a week and enjoyed it so much we will return again.
The meals were wonderful including a great breakfast and plenty of snacks. Walking
distance to everything in the town including lots of nices areas in which to walk. Very
quiet and peaceful. Rooms clean and comfortable. Jim and Marilyn are great hosts
making sure all your needs are met including airport shuttle for those staying for an
extended period. One neat thing about the Inn is the tasteful museum like atmosphere.
Marilyn has decorated the inn with all kinds of antiques and collectables.
Always something new to see. kate and I can not speak highly enough about this Inn
and the hospitality of Jim, Marilyn and the whole town of tryon. We will return and gladly
reccommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: For those staying for a while ask for a room with chairs as ours came with a different little doubl...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I arrived for a wedding visit from Ct. and were greeted by our host and guests from the front porch. We couldn't have been made to feel more at home from the moment we arrived. Our hosts Marilyn and Jim went out of their way to make sure we had hot coffee and tea at our bedroom door by 7:30 each AM, and our breakfasts were made to order each morning and quite delicious I might add. My only regret was that we did not get to sample one of Marilyn's dinners as the aromas coming from the kitchen were very tempting, but we had a wedding to attend. It was cool when we were there, so it was very pleasant to sit inside by a fire in the evenings and share a bottle of wine and swap stories with other guests. My wife had accidently left some clothes in a dresser. When we called the following morning, Marilyn had already put them in the mail back to us. How can you beat that? All in all our experience at the Marilyn's Melrose Inn was very relaxing and pleasant. I would recommend staying here if you find yourself in the Carolina hills.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Tryon, North Carolina
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Want a comfortable, sumptiously decorated historic B&B Inn? This is the place.
Lookig for a beautiful Inn where there are no customers but only friends the minute you walk in the door?
Want to stay in a place centrally located and an easy stroll into Tryon village?
Have pets? No problem.
Have kids? No problem.
Like coffee/tea service waiting outside your room door even in the wee hours of the morning? This service is routine for the very early risers at Marilyn's Melrose Inn.
The staff bends over backward to fulfill your most demanding requirements including careully prepared breakfasts as early in the AM as you desire.
Demand excellent ,attentive service? This Inn offers WOW! service.
Want to get away from the impersonal accoutrements of motels and hotels? The Melrose goes beyond all expectations. We were spoiled. You will be too.
People have often said they just hate to leave. But they promise to come back as soon as possible.

All of this above reflects my experience when I needed a B&B in Tryon. I am so lucky and blessed to have found Marilyn Doheny's historic Melrose Inn.

DHH
North Carolina

Room Tip: I heard October (2011) rooms are already getting booked up. (August 2011)
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed August 21, 2011

When I walked up the stairs onto the porch, I felt like I was home even though I had never been there before. Marilynn and Jim were so welcoming and accomodated our every need! The Inn, with it's many collections, was visually stunning. We were shone to our room ,which was beautifully decorated in an equestrian style, with a comfy king size bed! The next morning was a treat! Soft music, wonderful coffee and delicious muffins were waiting for us on the porch! Then we had a wonderful full breakfast in the dining room! After breakfast, Marilyn steered me to some great antique and reuse it stores near by. I had a great time looking at all of Marilyn's antiques, collectibles and beautiful quilts as well! Marilyn prepared a wonderful dinner that night for us! Afterwards, we sat on the porch and had a great time with our children playing games and just being together! Marilyn's Melrose Inn is a truly special place and I highly recommend a stay there! Marilyn is a wonderful cook and hostess! Last but certainly not least, our little shih-tzu "Callie" was welcomed and treated with tender care just like we were! We plan to return as soon as we can!

Room Tip: I suggest asking for the Equestrian Room or the Floral Abundance Room. They both are beautiful and h...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Vicky R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tryon
Days Inn Columbus Tryon
Ramada Hendersonville
Ramada Hendersonville
#5 of 11 in Hendersonville
Holiday Inn Express Forest City

Been to Marilyn's Melrose Inn? Share your experiences!