“Disapointing!”

1906 Pine Crest Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Tryon B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I wanted my family to stay at the Inn for Thanksgiving so we could easliy visit our relatives who live close by. I made a reservation on-line and when the confirmation came through there were additional charges I wasn't aware of. Apparently, if you book a cottage that sleeps 5, only 2 are included in the posted rate. Additional $70 was charged for my children! I cancelled the reservation within 12 hours of making it and was told the credit would be applied to my card, less a $25 cancellation fee.

A. The credit hasn't been applied to date.
B. A cancellation fee??? For what?

Not the friendly place I stayed at before, that's for sure.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank dr_phil81

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay during our trip in August 2012 and inquired about a one night reservation at this Inn. After filling out the form I never recieved any confirmation or communication from them and made a reservation elsewhere. They called my cell phone the night I had requested and I told them I never heard from them so made other plans. They had sent the confirmation to an email at mn.com instead of msn.com, an obvious typo and one that would have generated an immediate notice as not being deliverable. (I tried it) Since I never got the email, I never could have known I had a reservation. They charged my Visa, which I contested. I even offered to pay half of the fee since I figured it was an honest misunderstanding for both parties and we did not use any of their service, room, linens or food. They refused. This is not the kind of business I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Mimi B
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have always loved the Pine Crest Inn and have stayed there 3 times over the years, always loved our room and food but not this time.Our "cabin" was outdated and felt dirty-The Treetops. Forget taking a shower, gross.Because there was an art festival going on in town is no excuse for a first class establishment not to serve dinner, especially since we had been told to change our reservation dates if we were intent on being served dinner. We were even charged for a date change, are you kidding me? As close as we got to dinner was having an artist try to sell us his art works. Dinner continued to be a frustrating experience as we were told to try The Purple Onion, where we were told it would be a 2 hour wait time so we then ended up in a terrible pizza place nearby in Tryon where we walked out after not being served after a long wait. The next morning we did enjoy breakfast and our young male server , he was very sweet, good coffee and fruit. If we return I will be very picky about our room and make sure dinner is being served or we will try a new place.

Room Tip: Rooms vary greatly, be careful, we love the Stone Cottage but it was too large for 2 people.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dortch61
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Our room was very comfortable and clean. We loved the fireplace in our room and the grounds of the Inn were beautifully kept.
The breakfast was nice and was served by the fireplace for a lovely atmosphere.
All of the staff that we encountered were super friendly and accommodating. Linda checked us in and showed us to our room. She also gave us some good suggestions on dining and hiking trails.
We enjoyed the small towns of Tryon, Saluda and Landrum and we would definitely stay at the Pine Crest Inn again next time we are in this area.

1  Thank ellieruth
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had high hopes for this B&B but I was underwhelmed. Being that it is a part of the Diamond B&B's, I thought it would be really good. First of all, we got there at night and the instructions on how to get there were sketchy at best. We got lost. Then the Treetops we stayed in was good that it was off by itself, but to access it was 30 uneven steps down. The king size bed was really nice, but no duvet feather comforter, just a sheet and a cotton lightweight coverlet. I was amazed.
Then in the kitchen there were no utensils and fake fruit. How about some real fruit??? It would have been most welcome as we got there so late. Ditto in that we had to leave early on Monday morning, long before breakfast.

There were many inexpensive touches that were just plain and simply missed. It would have been so nice to have cream for the coffee in our room at least. The staff was OK, but I didn't feel anyone was really going much out of their way, or the extra mile to understand our time schedule of late arrival and early leaving.

I probably would not go back to this b&b.

Room Tip: dont choose the Treetops...dont know about the others.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our first visit to this establishment in December 2011 had a few "glitches" regarding the quality of our room. When we brought the glitches to the attention of the management we were pleasantly surprised with an offer of a second complimentary visit to "re-do" the prior experience. Upon our return the rooms had been updated and were much nicer. Because we were more comfortable this time we really enjoyed the entire experience. The breakfast was superior with wonderful staff. Highly recommend this Inn.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've stayed at the PIne Crest Inn once before when I needed a quiet weekend away by myself to read, write and relax. It was perfect - the inn served wonderful food, the staff was kind and helpful and my room was fantastic, with a fireplace, desk and comfortable bed. A few weeks ago, I went again, this time with my entire family. We stayed in the Woodcutter Cottage, a rustic but updated cabin with two bedrooms and a sitting room. With three kids, it's difficult to find a nice place to stay that has character, but doesn't mind a bunch of kids running around. The cottage was just right, we even had room to sit by the fireplace and watch football before bed.

The inn is on 10 acres, and has horseshoes and cornhole on the lawn, a wide, wrap-around porch on two sides with rockers, a library with a fireplace, and several spots inside the inn to sit and relax or play a game. They serve a homemade breakfast each morning, and on our second day, offered our kids pancakes that they had requested the day before. We were the only family with kids (a 7-year old and two 6 year-olds), and we were not quiet - we played tag with glowsticks and explored and ran around - mostly them. We were treated with hospitality and understanding.

The area is great, with several small towns (Tryon, Saluda, Landrum) with cute shops and good restaurants. We went to the equestrian center, took a very short hike to Pearson's Falls, and generally relaxed. A great fall weekend with great accomodations. We will defiinitely return, and maybe we'll bring the kids again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tryon
Days Inn Columbus Tryon
Saluda Mountain Lodge
Orchard Inn
Orchard Inn
#1 of 7 in Saluda

Been to 1906 Pine Crest Inn? Share your experiences!