“Great place to fish, picnic, and swim”

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Troy
Asheboro, North Carolina
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Great place to fish, picnic, and swim”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Looking for a relaxing place to spend Labor Day, we settled on Kings Mountain Point Day Use Area. While getting to Kings Mountain Point requires some good directions, the park is wonderful. On a Peninsula in Badin Lake, the park offers very nice picnic sites with grills. There is a paved, handicap accessible path around the park with four accessible fishing piers. Restrooms are clean and located throughout the park. Our favorite part is the defacto swimming hole/beach. On the north shore of the park is a gravel/sand swimming area. It was well used on Monday, but not too crowded. The water was warm and the kids and dog had fun.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Dmaerz

Eastern NC
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Great Place for Camping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a new camper - have a 17' pull behind trailer, and decided I needed to get some experience with it. My husband had camping trailers a long time ago, and he likes to fish, so we needed to find a place that fit both of our interests. We picked Uwharrie National Forest for this reason, and were not sorry that we did. Uwharrie has several campgrounds, including primitive, horse camps, and sites with electric. We picked Arrowhead Campground for the hookups. Baden Lake Campground has primitive sites for tents, but you can also put a small camper on a site, but has no electric; however, this campground is right on the lakeshore and has wonderful views. There is also a day use area with great picnic spots alongside the lake. The bathrooms and shower facilities are clean and large throughout all the campgrounds. There are no pictures of the sites, and I got one that was on an incline, but was easy to level the trailer on. The campgrounds are paved, but accessed over gravel/dirt Forest Service Roads. There is a boat launch site down the road from Arrowhead Campground that give access to Baden Lake, and if you have a kayak or small boat you can carry, you can put in at the day use area. There is also a floating dock at the day use area that is great for bass and perch fishing. There are many hiking trails through Uwharrie, as well as horse and ATV trails. The horse camps are located on paved roads and have corrals for the horses. Arrowhead Campground was extremely quiet when we were there, in the hardwood forest and all sites are shaded. There are picnic tables and fire rings at each site, trash dumpsters throughout the campground, drinking water spigots, and a dump site for RVers. All in all, my husband and I had a very good time, and would return. If you have an inter-agency park pass for National Parks, it will give you half off the campsite price, but you have to pay a bit extra for the electric service which is not discounted. There is no fee to traverse and use Uwharrie National Forest boat launch and day use areas, only for camping.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank AuntieM64
St. Neots, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Multiple Jeep and Camping Trips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband is in a Jeep Club (a few Jeep Clubs) and we have gone to Uwharrie NF on many occasions to drive the trails and make a weekend of it camping by Badin Lake. We have also gone with family members (ages ranging from 7-60) as well for a weekend. This is a great place to go spend the weekend. We bring our kayaks and fishing poles as well and paddle around the lake. We also would go shooting at the range (but a heard on this last trip that the range has been closed). It feels away from it all but it isn't that far away.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lisa C
Biscoe, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“My favorite place in the world.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

So many wonderful places to see here. There are trails for every difficulty level. This is my favorite place in the world. I come out every chance I get. I have so many memories and pictures of how wonderful this place is. In fact, I am so fond of this place that this is where my fiance proposed to me because he knows there is no other place as special to me.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Sara M
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wish there was more 4x4”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Went out there to do some 4x4 and got run off by rangers and POPO. Apparently you have to know the spots. The old trails we used to run are closed. Otherwise I would say it is excellent!

Visited February 2013