“Not your five star...but the view is.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Topsail Beach
Jolly Roger Inn & Pier
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Topsail Beach
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I came across this place simply by accident. And from our first night we loved it. Wr slept with the door open. Over looking the beautiful beach and listening to the waves crash. It was very tranquil. The owners were so friendly. Treated us like family. We love it here so much. We came here in January and February. Now our summer vacation will be here.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank scottnjojo

Reviewed November 20, 2012

....that's about it. Good enough for a "boys" fishing trip. Plenty of shells on the beach, found a dead pelican, saw a couple of dolphins.....was really happy to get the key for the beach house we were supposed to be staying in the next day!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Jolly roger for one night when our condo was double-booked for the night of our arrival. We found the Jolly Roger because it was open. The front desk staff was very polite and appeared to genuinely feel bad for us.
the room was what we expected. It would have been nice if the heat had worked, but we were so tired that we bundled up and went to sleep.
In its defense, this isn't a place where you'd go for luxury. If you want to fish and have access to the pier, stay here. Otherwise, you can do better

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here Oct. 7th 2012 and paid $101 for a suite. I think it supposedly slept 6, but 2 of those would've been on an extremely uncomfortable and dirty-looking pull-out couch, and another 2 would've been on a rock hard and ancient double bed. There is a separate room with a king sized bed that was horrendously uncomfortable. I think these buildings were built in the 1960's and they haven't been renovated since. Dingy and dank pretty much describes it. The only reason they're still in business is because the awesome beach is only a few steps away and because they have a very popular fishing pier.

No microwave, no phone, no shampoo, no hairdryer, and no comfort, but we were only there one night. I don't expect the Taj Mahal so I'm still giving them three stars for the beach and the pier.

I guess this place pretty much just caters to fishermen. The store carries everything fishermen need and the coffee shop is hardcore no frills very basic food. The place was occupied by older gents having a scruffy weekend away from the wife and not bothering to shave or comb their hair. It's a real fisherman's dream. My husband loved it and loved watching the guys catch fish out on the pier. Someone hooked a stingray while we were there. The pier is pretty rough but they have lots of built-in benches which I was grateful for since I'm partially handicapped right now.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for a couple of days, and it was ok for for what we needed, which was basically a place to crash at night and somewhere to shower. I'd rate it on the low side of average- not the worst place I've ever stayed, but definitely not anywhere close to the nicest. Also, I thought the rate a bit high for what was offered. We didn't encounter any bugs as some previous folks have mentioned, but the place is certainly dated (60's?). On the upside, the location couldn't be more perfect. We literally took 10 steps out the front door and were on the beach. The problem with this area is that, surprisingly enough, there just aren't any really nice places to stay on the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Needed a place to take my 85 year old Dad, "pier fishing". My sister accompanied us. In my search I needed ocean front with few stairs, near the pier. I was given an apartment in the old bunker building. There were only 4 steps and it was ocean front.The room was 1960ish plain.Two double size beds and a sleeper sofa. A tiny kitchen was in the front room. Although it would never make the cover of any design magazine, it was clean and met our needs. Dad was able to walk to and from the pier at night and my sister could sit on the front porch and see the ocean. I could walk the beach and keep an eye on both of them. The night before we left the neighboring apartment was rented by some out of state gentlemen who seranaded us with their makeshift band and song. We had a great stay in this relaxed, non pretentious setting.

Room Tip: If you stay in the newer section, ask for a second or third floor room. Ocean views are prohibited w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Barbara F
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wanted to take my two kids to the beach for one night (last-minute trip) during the summer of 2012. Three days prior, over the phone, Jolly Roger staff informed me they only had one room left that would sleep all three of us. They put us in the "new building". They claim that all rooms are non-smoking.

Upon entering the room, the smell of smoke and mold was very strong. The room was dirty, dingy and just worn out. The place was likely built in the 80's and has never been remodeled by the looks of the walls, floors, ceilings, windows and bathroom. The wall by the back door was deteiorating (likely from water damage.)

I did not say anything to my kids as I wanted to make this trip special for them. However, as we were leaving, my five year old said, "daddy, that room was ok but it smelled really bad".

No point in complaining knowing that I got "the last room". I wrote a letter once I got home and, after three weeks, they have not bothered to respond. So, they'll get this honest review of their filthy hotel. If you like dirty, $200 per night, smelly, moldy hotels rooms, this place is for you!

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay someplace else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry
Seaview Pier Motel
Seaview Pier Motel
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry

Been to Jolly Roger Inn & Pier? Share your experiences!