“I keep thinking it is going to get better...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Southern Sisters - CLOSED

Southern Sisters
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“I keep thinking it is going to get better...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been here about 10 times for lunch, dinner and a private event since they opened and I keep thinking things will get better. Unfortunately, I can report that although the food is good, the service just seems to be staying at the same level. We were seated promptly by a hostess but the waiter took 10 - 15 minutes to get to us. While we were sitting, the owner came by and said "I am here a little too early to check on you, so I will be back to check on you once there is something to check on." He was pleasant enought, but he didn't offer to get us drinks or anything and we continued to sit. I appreciate a manager walking around checking on things, but a manager is supposed to notice when customers are sitting with nothing in front of them for a long time. Finally our waiter took our drink order. He brought our bottle of wine, which had been uncorked at the bar, and poured the wine into the glass while picking up the glass and pouring into it. I am not a snooty wine snob, but this service is unacceptable when I am buying a nice bottle of wine (or the nicest they have on their menu.) I have commented to the owner that the wine service needs to be improved about 4 months ago and I see that comment was not ever acted upon. I agree with a previous review that what the owners need to do is hire someone with some experience and get the staff trained on proper and prompt service. If they fix this problem, I will want to come back. Right now, my husband is pretty fed up as dinner service the last 4 times has been horrible. (Lunch tends to be a little better, or maybe I have just had better servers.) I continue to try this restaurant as I am a big proponent of supporting our local businesses, but quite honestly, I get better service at Ruby Tuesdays (hey, I am comparing only what I have access to in Thomasville!) and really don't want to support a business that doesn't read their reviews or take constructive criticism and act accordingly. Please get someone who knows how to run a restaurant and can improve this service. If you do that, with the food quality and price points and decor, you can be successful for a long time.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Asolare95

High Point, North Carolina
“Nice Saturday evening out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family and I dined at Southern Sisters last Saturday night. After reading some of the reviews I was a little leary. We went kind of early and got the last available both near the front. Other than being a little chilly since it was near the front door it was fine. Love the building and the decor.

Our service was great and so was the food. I had the Jezebel chicken, which was wonderful. My husband had the chicken pot pie, which he said was more like soup, but still tasted good. My brother had the salmon and said it was the best he had ever had, my son had a burger and also said it was the best he ever had.

Would have loved to tried the desserts, they looked devine, but no room.

Looking forward to my next visit!

NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Breath of fresh air”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was just looking up Southern Sisters website so I could call in a to-go order, and when seeing a 2.5 score on TripAdvisor I had to chime in.

I will start with one point I agree with. The four to five times we've been there, the hostess was barely there. It's a shame to have this as a first impression, as the wait staff and owner are very pleasant.

That said, the wait staff has been very patient and helpful. Being a new restaurant, patrons tend to want to take their time looking at the menu and asking questions. Even at busy times (which it often is at key times) our waiter or waitress never seemed impatient and on the contrary was rather friendly.

Between my wife and I, we've had the filet, the ribeye, a burger, French toast, casserole, black & bleu salad, chicken pot pie, pimento chicken, jezebel chicken, shrimp and grits, various appetizers, desserts, sides, and drinks. Man I'm getting hungry as I write this. The only item that could have been better was the ribeye in that it was a bit too marbled for my preference, but still had a great flavor.

Price-wise it's right where it needs to be with the level restaurant that it is, and in some cases cheaper.

And the decor is outstanding. We appreciate good interior design, from the various textiles, to the artwork on the walls, to the lighting, and the general layout. It's a place you want to be.

I promised I wouldn't address some of the negative reviews herein, but I will just say that no matter what you research, from refrigerators to auto mechanics to dog kennels to restaurants, some folks will a subject give rave reviews and others rip it apart.

When it comes down to it, there are those places where the only opinion that matters comes from your own experience. That said, give this place a whirl...I imagine 95% of you will return again and again.

1 Thank BrWNc
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I went to southern sisters for lunch today. When we walked in the hostess was on the phone for five minutes and wouldn't even make eye contact with us. After she hangs up she doesn't apologize or even say hello. She simply grabs 2 menus and says this way. After being seated our waitress takes our drink order and again no friendly conversation. We got our food within a timely manner but were never asked if we were doing ok or if we needed anything. We sat without drinks for 15 minutes. The owner was there and just simply doesn't get the Front of The House details that are crucial for the survival of a Restaurant!!!!!! Especially in Thomasville. I work in the food service industry and see this all the time. You can have great food but if the service isn't there you will soon end up with an empty restaurant. It looks like the owner has a lot of Money invested in this place and hopefully she will wake up before its too late. Get a FOH manager who 'Gets it'!!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Aimeb105
High Point, North Carolina, United States
“Great service but the prices are high and food inconsistent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have eaten there several times as our neighbor is one of the cooks. The prices are high for what you get and depending on the cook depends on the amount of food you get. I love our server and try to get the same one each time!

• Visited December 2012