“Great food, local atmosphere, & exceptional service”

Icehouse Waterfront Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 36 Restaurants in Swansboro
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Description: Historic Downtown Swansboro. Focus is on local seafood, All Natural raised American Beef and Chicken, local and organic produce. Pasta dishes, vegetarian, vegan, nightly chef specials.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We live locally in Emerald Isle NC and decided to visit the Icehouse for dinner on Tuesday, 7/15/2014 running the risk of typical summer crowds...the Icehouse is very popular because of the food and Swansboro waterfront views.. It had been a while since we had been there but really enjoyed the visit. Although crowed, our wait time (there were 6 of us) was minimal.

Once seated our server, Jackie, arrived to take drink orders, explain specials and dinner favorites. I had heard the fish taco's were filling and tasted great. They are filled with grouper (fried, broiled or blackened) with a variety of shredded cheeses on top. Various sauces available too! I thought about a side salad or other items but Jackie assured me the tacos would be sufficient. The others ordered various entree's and I was more than content with the fish taco's. I received three large & loaded taco's and the price of $10 made it one of the best deals around the area!

Generally, we had a great experience and Jackie was superb blending a pleasant personality, extensive knowledge of the menu and attentiveness that didn't make us feel pressured to eat and get out to make room for other guests. We'll be back!

Danny & Cherie Shell
Emerald Isle NC 28594

1  Thank Danny S

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We have eaten at the Icehouse Waterfront Restaurant several times before and the highlight for several of the women has always been the king crab legs.

We went back during the week of July 4th and to make sure they would have crab legs, my wife called and asked if they took reservations (they don't) and if they had crab legs that night. "Yes, we have crab legs" was the response. We arrived around 6 PM and had to wait about 35 minutes for our table, which was expected. Once we were seated, our server Amanda, greeted us and took our drink orders. When we were ready to order and the first request for crab legs was made, Amanda told us "I'm sorry we're out of crab legs". My wife told we had called ahead and were told they had crab legs and Amanda told us "we ran out yesterday and won't have any until next week".

My wife ordered the salmon, which she said was "good but nothing special" and two other women had the market platter; a variety of seafood. I had the Grouper Marsala which was "interesting". I love food served in a Marsala sauce; however, grouper turned out to be a poor choice. Shame on me ! All in all, the food was "OK" but nothing to get excited about and we would probably go somewhere else next time.

The overall service was "acceptable to slow" and I had to ask several times for water refills. Amanda was busy but not overworked and the overall experience was not as good as it has been in the past. In my view, the overall service level and quality has slipped.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Fabulous frontrow views of the waterways around Swansboro while waiting on the patio. And wait you will, so get here early early and oh did I say early for dinner. Do NOT bring an appetite as yours will build as you wait. However, that being said, the food, the service, the atmosphere were well worth it. We arrived on our fishing boat all wind blown and smelly. And hungry. There was a fabulous 70's type band playing. We went inside >GO INSIDE< and gave our names for a 45 minute wait. I don't think so. We headed to the bar, ordered awesome great cold draft beer and slid into three empty seats. Whew! No wait. Do not make the mistake of waiting for a server outside. Won't happen. If there's a wait, go order a drink, maybe an appetizer and sit outside enjoying the fresh salty air.
I would highly recommend this place for all things ocean-related. We ordered crab dip, blackened salmon, scallops romano and fish tacos. Exquisite!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

No return trips here based on this weeks service! Been here before liked it - this year not so much! Food was good but nothing special. Our service was adequate but not proactive. Served food and we had to ask for refills!! My minimum requirement for good wait staff is to keep drinks filled-not so hard! No line when we left at 7:00pm-tells you a lot!!!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

A couple of my friends and I had lunch at the Icehouse Restaurant a couple weeks ago. I also had my one year old son with me. It was a pleasant experience for all of us. I live in Jacksonville and was excited to try it out. I had a soft shelled crab sandwich which was really good! The restaurant has a nice view of the sound as well.