“Way better than before.”
Review of Capt Charlie's - CLOSED

Capt Charlie's
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Haven't been there in years because the food had become so bad. After the change we gave it another chance and loved it. Once people figure out fresh is better, I'm sure Charlies will become an area favorite.

PS: Who ever installed the windows did a wonderful job.

Lacarr84, Manager at Capt Charlie's, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thanks so much for the review! The windows came out great and we are very happy with them (as are the customers!) Intercoastal Constructiom did a great job! Looking forward to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I had one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had a Captain Charlies about a year and a half ago and vowed never again. This all changed when I heard the owners of Nicky's now own Captain Charlie's. My husband and I had dinner last night and were pleasantly surprised! First we were seated immediately. Not had we just sat down but bread and hush puppies were immediately brought to the table. A smiling waitress greeted us and gave us the most attentive service I have had in many a day. I had the eggplant parmesan. The serving was so big I brought half of it home. My husband had the seafood lasagna and he said "it was one of the best meals he can remember having anywhere." Everything was great! The menu is smaller but I think this gives a restaurant the opportunity to get everything right and that's what our experience was. In closing our bill was $24. We do only drink water but the whole bill...two dinners nicely done for less than $25... I highly recommend that you give Captain Charlie's a try. You will be pleasantly surprised!

1  Thank Diane D
Lacarr84, Manager at Capt Charlie's, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you Diane! We have been getting that a lot about people having a terrible experience before we took it over! I'm glad you gave us a chance and enjoyed it so much! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Visit: Monday, 13 Aug. 1st visit in over 15 years and we have lived in the area for 20 years. New management and Chef led us to give it a try. Decor changed with windows now in each room so there are some views. Menu choices have been upgraded with outstanding Fresh Seafood and improved pasta dishes.. There were 6 of us; we opted for the bar area; Quiet Monday night, although about 17 diners while we were there as well as others in the main dining area. 4 of us had the Southern Stuffed Oysters as appetizer--just delicious! I had the 12oz Prime rib-perfectly cooked(medium rare); There were 4 fish dishes and one other of our party had prime rib. All readily enjoyed their meals, no issues with food preparation, flavor, or presentation. Good variety of wines and other beverages. We plan to revisit soon with some of our neighbors. When visitors to this area now ask us where they can go to get good, fresh seafood, we finally have an answer: Capt Charlies in Swansboro.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lacarr84, Manager at Capt Charlie's, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

What a lovely review, thank you! We are glad you enjoyed the food AND the wine and beverage lists. We will be doing wine and beer tastings in the bar room eventually, keep an eye out for announcements on our facebook page! Thanks again!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Ive lied in the area for three years and only went there once under old ownership because of substandard service. Wow, what a change, personalities, chef's and time to get hot food to table, and everytime we have been back three since July 2012, Nicky has been present ensuring patrons were happy.Less choices equals better service and better food. Next year you will see this place closer to the top. Get rid of the sixties carpet and put wood or laminate flooring in to brighten up the place. We will be back regularly. Broiled or fried scallop and shrimp platter best choice.

Thank you so much! Believe me, we feel the same way about the carpet and flooring and are working towards getting that changed. We look forward to seeing you guys again!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

One of the absolutely worst dining experiences I have ever had. There has recently been a change. The old owner retired and there is a new owner, who also owns Nicky's. Less of a menu than before. I had a penne pasta dish that was supposed to come with "beef and sausage." Could only find a few small pieces of sausage. Nothing in the description indicated that the plate would be a massive amount of shredded beef good enough for four or five shredded beef sandwiches in the midst of a few pieces of sausage and a sparse amount of pasta compared to the Mount Everest of shredded beef. The description of the meal was poor. Captain Charlie's always used to be a stop of ours in Swansboro, but until it vastly improves, we will not be going back.

1  Thank richmondrp
Lacarr84, Manager at Capt Charlie's, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your Penne Bolognese. It is described as Beef and Sausage cooked for hours in our Homemade Marinara. We are sorry you didn't like that much meat in your meat sauce. It is true that we have changed the menu and gotten rid of the old frozen seafood dishes and added fresh seafood and homecooked dishes, so it may seem like there is less on the menu than before. We are improving Capt Charlie's every day so we hope to see you again next time you are in town!