“What was it they sold as Grouper?”
Review of Nicky's of Swansboro - CLOSED

Nicky's of Swansboro
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a family owned restaurant that specializes in homemade cooking and fresh seafood.We are now located in Historic Downtown SwansboroOpen 7 Days a week with a late night kitchen!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“What was it they sold as Grouper?”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went there while on a business trip to the area, no wait for our party of 3 and we were seated immediately. Specials included potato encrusted grouper and two of us ordered that. What came out was some pinkish, soft fleshed fish not resembling any grouper I’ve ever had. Without a DNA kit it is the restaurants word against yours that it in fact was grouper. The other person in our party had a fried flounder sandwich that he did enjoy so it wasn’t a complete bust. The staff was friendly although a bit slow, the non-grouper put me off enough to not return again.

• Visited June 2013
Lacarr84, Manager at Nicky's of Swansboro, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are sorry you didn't enjoy your meal but please be assured that the fish was indeed grouper. Atlantic grouper is a pinkish color. We are proud of the fact that we serve fresh fish and routinely show our fish to our guests, upon request, prior to cooking. We are one of the few restaurants in the area that actually serve fresh fish.

Seven Springs, NC
“Bland food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited here on vacation and found the food to be very bland. No flavor even out of 10 different dishes. Tuna was overcooked. Rather depressing considering how much they charged. Won't return or recommend to others.

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Meh”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went there our last night of vacation, hoping for some good food. I ordered the chicken parm and my husband ordered seafood. The food was extremely bland for the price. I was so disappointed. I had a few bites of the chicken and couldn't take it anymore. I boxed it up and my garbage disposer husband ate it a few hours later. His seafood was also very bland. The only fun we had was we happened to go on their very first night of Trivia at the bar. We at least made the most of a night filled with bland food at high prices by coming in last place for trivia, hahaha. More heads are better than two. I also couldn't figure out if they were trying to be a classy restaurant, a bar, or a mix of both. The carpet was so dirty it was black and you could tell it used to be nice green/gold. The waitress was very nice however, but she told us she was leaving soon. Too bad.

1 Thank Katie T
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Don't bother. Really, Don't Bother.”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I do not understand the glowing reviews of this restaurant. I have lived in this area for over 10 years. I now live here part time. I have really wanted to like Nikky's over the years. However, each and every time we have eaten here, or *tried* to eat here, we have had miserable experiences.

Most recently, we stood at the hostess' desk for 15 minutes, while multiple staff waltzed right by, not even acknowledging us. We left. In the past, we have left after being seated because we sat for 20 minutes before someone took a drink order. Once or twice we actually did eat here, but the experience was unmemorable. I just remember the rude waitresses.

The only reason we go back periodically is because we think we have to be missing something. Maybe the kitchen was overtaxed? Short staffed? A new manager? A new location? Yet consistently, we have had less than stellar experiences and swear that we are never going back. Honestly, it's ridiculous. I don't understand how this restaurant stays in business.

There are plenty of other restaurants, in this area, that appreciate your patronage. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank jetprincess01
Cary, North Carolina
“Simple and good”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place is one of the first ones you see when arriving to Swansboro.
From the outside it does not look too apealing especially because it is not located right at the water.
But once you go inside you will feel that this is a typical family restaurant.
The food is well prepared from scratch (try their home baked bread just to start).
The service was very good and attentive to our needs.
All the seafood we tried was apparently very fresh.
The only comment I have was that some of our food was bland, requiring a little more seasoning to become just great.

• Visited May 2013