“An Oasis Away” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asheville East KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swannanoa
Asheville East KOA
Ormond Beach, Florida
“An Oasis Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is always a favorite family spot and close to everything around the Blue Ridge mountains. We spend six days here, never bored with the accompanying scenery. On 276 a short drive away, you can spend a day going down and find swimming holes, Looking Glass Falls, and a special tubing park that ends near 280.

We book early to arrive on the lake and kids can fish from the trailer. Excellent view with ducks that will come right up to your RV expecting food of some sort. There is one duck I've named Fred that seems to be tormented from his foes. It is a sad spectacle to watch as Fred is continually chased by his mates up into the driveways and around the campground. I could not observe first hand at any point as to why Fred was being bullied constantly. I do know I felt like quarantining the lot several times to offer him some reprieve. And gave him extra food while shooing away his clan.

Bridge was becoming inundated with flooding from local rain lately. We had to use the back way to get around to the front on several occasions. That can get a bit cumbersome.

You are close to the train here and can hear whistling.

You can store your RV there for only $15 a week. This is a great bargain if you need to travel elsewhere and detest dragging everything with you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bourbour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

For 42 dollars a night the premium spot on the river is great. The traffic noise isn't an issue, really, if you're listening to the sounds if the river.
I found the staff in general to be lacking in manners. The young lady who checked me in for my first night was wonderful. The lady who checked us in today rather thought she was doing me a favor by doing so.
There are ducks along the river and it's nice to watch them.
The sites are level. Good internet, not slow at all. Fair water pressure, consistent voltage for power.
If you want super quiet go to Mama Gertie's.

• Stayed July 2013
Middleburg, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have stayed at this camo ground a few times in the past 2 years. the most recent was July 7th- 9th 2013. This trip we stayed in the lodge (cabin) It was really nice, plenty of room. Full kitchen with fridge stove and microwave. bunk beds for the kids, and me and my hubbie had our own room. There was a futon in the living room if you wanted for an extra person, though it was uncomfortable, but the bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, and had plenty of storage space for clothes etc. Restroom with shower. It was a pretty cabin, and had a swing on the front porch.

Last time we stayed in the smaller cabin which has no restrooms, so this was well worth the extra money to stay in the lodge, with cable TV in both the living room and the bedroom, so the kids could watch what they wanted as well. It was nice not to have to carry our clothes and stuff to use the other showers/ restrooms located in the main building.

The pool was nice and clean, and there is a playground located near the tent sites on the property, but it's a good walk from the cabins. They have a game room, but it's pretty much old outdated board games, alot of the pieces are missing, and not much fun for the kids. they also have a TV in the game room, and some old books, where you could leave a book and then take one.. kind of like a book exchange. I personally think they need to update the game room, and have something more entertaining for the kids. i know most people do not take care of things, so maybe they could have people to check out certain games, or video games etc. with their ID so if anything is damaged, they would be responsible to pay for it, then people would take care of stuff... Also I did not find any pizza or restaurants to deliver there... it's actually located in Candler, so not too much out there. The campground was clean and pretty quiet. Just wish there were better mountain views, or by a waterway, overall though I would stay there again, and would def. pay the extra for the lodge( cabin rental)!!

Room Tip: Oh they also have a large BBQ area outside of smaller cabins, and that is nice, but you must share w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We tent-camped here for three weekdays in June. It was not very busy and we were able to choose from a variety of spots without a reservation. Staff made recommendations for spots, fishing, and area attractions.

Extremely convenient to Asheville, we were delighted to find stores as well as Asheville attractions to be a quick and easy drive.

The bathrooms and showers were immaculate. The tent sites are very very narrow but clearly marked so as to prevent any issues or confusion. The campground itself is very clean with regular trash pickups.

* We would like to suggest that, when making reservations, selecting one of the longer sites to compensate for how narrow and close together they are. We would imagine that, during busy summer weekends, things can get a bit tight.

As far as the noise, there is a road that you can hear as well as a train that runs by two to three times overnight. We were fine with this but bring it up as a consideration for other travelers.

There are many amenities geared toward kids and families. For that reason, I feel this is a more appropriate location for families. Although no one was inappropriate, we found ourselves bothered by the noise and presence of the children and families. We will probably look for a quieter campground more suited toward couples or small groups next time.

• Stayed June 2013
Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was our first time using our fifth wheel. The staff was great with helping me get set up and making sure our family was having a great time. We purchased firewood from the store located on site. We loved walking around the lakes and river. My little boy loved climbing on the rocks by the river. If you are new to camping I would say try KOA. I feel you will not lose. The sites are kept up and the staff love what they do.

Room Tip: We went when the outdoor pool was closed so I cannot really comment on it but they had one.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank unccdad
Sandhills, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Mkay...I always start with the positives so here goes:
Bath houses and showers were immaculate and are the best I've seen...period. All sites are extremely well maintained and the grounds are well kept. The camp store is fairly well stocked, so far as camp stores go, and the prices were really pretty good. The lakes & stream are beautiful and make for a really nice foreground to the mountains. Quick retail shopping (ie, Wal-Mart, grocery) is not far away at all and very easy to find. Very quiet for a large campground.
Now...to be fair to all campers, I have to tell you the negatives as well:
The "putt-putt" course doesn't really exist. I mean, it's there, but over grown with weeds and trash. The recovery center located at the entrance to the KOA is less than appealing with all the...um...'recovery' folks all standing around the front door glaring at you while you drive by. The trailer park with the six foot bobbed wire fence as your back door neighbor. The annoying train that comes through EVERY night from 11pm until breakfast.
All in all I have to say that Asheville East KOA is a very nice campground. We have stayed at some dives and this one is no where close to that. Very nice experience and the staff was friendly and helpful.
TIPS:
Bring sleeping ear plugs for the train. Don't stay near the trailer park. Bring some bread or chips to feed the ducks and geese. They were very tame and I fed them by hand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in a 2 room cabin on the water. We had water on both sides of us, it was great. So pretty! The cabin was very clean. Had a firepit and grill. There were also bikes and 2 wheel go cart things to rent, which my kids loved. It was only about 10 minutes to downtown Asheville.

On the negitive side, we had planes, trains, automobiles, and GEESE all night long. The trains blew their whistles all night. We could hear the traffic very well, and the geese were really loud. If you can tune these things out, then you will be just fine.

By the way, watch your speed. It's a 4 lane highway in front of the KOA, but the speed limit is only 45, and sometimes 35 or 25. I got a speeding ticket as a souvenir.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SandOz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swannanoa
Holiday Inn Asheville - Biltmore East
Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East
Days Inn Biltmore East
Days Inn Biltmore East
#34 of 63 in Asheville
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 4 in Black Mountain
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Haywood Park Hotel
Haywood Park Hotel
#2 of 63 in Asheville

Been to Asheville East KOA? Share your experiences!