“Diamond in the rough”

Native Kitchen & Social Pub
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Swannanoa
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Description: Native was started by two North Carolina couples who recognized the need for sustainable food practices, and a responsibility that we all share when it comes to our soil, water and air. We believe strongly in supporting farming techniques, which are sustainable, organic, and regenerative. These local farms restore the fabric of rural communities, decrease water and air pollution, preserve and build topsoil and produce wonderful crops. The foods they deliver to our tables are high in nutritive value and are without chemical residue. Our support to these dedicated farmers yields healthier ingredients that strengthens our sense of local community, builds our local community and, most importantly, it is a vital step toward protecting these resources for future generations. It is important to us that we not only provide local food, but that we strive to support our local breweries, artists, musicians and community. Native is a gathering place to celebrate our local culture, and we hope that you enjoy your visit with us!
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just made the long distance move of 6 miles from East Asheville to Swannanoa. After my first night of unpacking, I figgured a beer wouldn't be too bad of a descision and jumped on Urban Spoon to see what was nearby. .7 miles from my house lies Native Kitchen. Talk about a restutant that doesn't fit the surroundings...in a GOOD way. Awesome bar. Decorated with wine bottles and reclaimed wood. 12 taps, mainly North Carolina beer (although they did have PBR pints for 2 dollars). I opted for a Hi-Wire (asheville) and Foothills (winston-salem) to pair with my Catfish Tacos. Perfect serving size, tender, juicy and priced right. Service was on point, although the barkeep had lost her voice. 2 days later, and I'm going back. Great atmosphere. Worth the drive from Black Mountain or Asheville.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

My wide and I dropped our dish hater off for a Halloween party at nearby Warren Wilson College, and decided to get dinner in Swannanoa. We found Native Kitchen on TripAdviser and decided to give it a try. What a wonderful find! The place is modern and tastefully decorated, more like an urban bistro than a small mountain restaurant. We took a leap of faith and ordered the apple, fig, and arugula pizza and were totally delighted. Delicious! Worth the drive from Asheville.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Last week was our first visit and second visit to the Native Kitchen. Although we live nearby and had heard good things about the place, we just had never stopped in. Last week we had visitors from Colorado and so we took them out to eat at the Native Kitchen. We were very pleasantly surprised at the establishment. Everyone in our party enjoyed the food and the atmosphere.

Then 3 days later my sister and her husband were visiting from Lexington, KY so we took them to the Native Kitchen. We all had great meals (the meat loaf was great...I hope the staff remembers our lively discussion about that). They had a new chef, new fall menu, and all was even better. We had fun laughing with the staff. Everyone in both our groups who drink beer thought the beer selection was super (I don't drink beer so I couldn't rate that).

We hope the Native Kitchen keeps up the good work and hangs around for a very long time!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were on our way to Asheville and decided to we were too hungry to wait. I had heard about Native Kitchen from a local and decided we stop in. That was a great idea. We each got local brews including from Hi-Wire that were really good. Although it took a little while to get our sandwiches that was okay because they were great. My husband got a catfish reuben, my nephew a burger and I got the buttermilk chicken sandwich. I hope Swannanoa locals realize what a gem they have in their own town and there's no need to drive into Asheville.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Great food, beer and atmosphere. Something good in Swannanoa at last. Hope it is here for many years to come. :-)