“Excellent!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swannanoa
Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground
Sonora, California
“Excellent!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Best RV place ever! Beautiful clean pleasant. Such gorgeous area and the spaces are level clean and lovely. Laundry and showers are immaculate. Only problem is that people come back and you have to make reservations way ahead.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had planned to stay at Mama Gertie's for the last 3 days of our vacation, but the federal government caused a change of plans by closing Lake Powhatan camping area. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise since Roxanne at Mama Gertie's was nice enough to find a site for us early. After having to spend 2 nights at another Asheville campground that was more like an RV parking lot, we were graciously welcomed to this beautiful spot just east of Asheville. NO OTHER RV PARK that we have ever visited can compare! Service was impeccable and the entire park & facilities were spotless. Hosts Jan & Jerry seemed genuinely pleased to welcome everyone & explain the future site plans-- even providing a golf cart tour. Next trip, we will not waste time searching for other parks. Mama Gertie's will be our one & only stop in the Asheville area. Thank you all for the warmth & hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We enjoyed camping at Mama Gertie's campground. The landscape between the campers was well planned. The facilities was clean, organized and the lighting was great. The campground provided all that you would need. It was good to stop in an area with seniors in mine. The place is hilly but that just makes more of a challenge to get around. We appreciated how quickly the staff handled our complaint about a barking dog.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, NC
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is one I wish I could keep to myself. All the good things reviewers have said here are true. The place is spotlessly clean, the service is perfect, the mountain atmosphere is gorgeous... and it is about to get better. I was given a golf-cart tour of the new sites on top of the mountain. We were actually above the clouds when I saw the four new spots opening October, 2013, with many more under construction. The views from those sites are better than the overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't recommend this campground strongly enough. We were between the summer season and the fall color season so it was not hard to get a spot. But I know the demand will be enormous during peak times, plan ahead! Like others have said, this is a place of quiet and beauty, not a KOA with swimming pools, putting greens and video parlors, so if you want that, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Site map is confusing, remember the whole campground is on a mountainside, so as you go from site to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonora, California
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We planned to stop at Mama Gerties, but forgot it was Labor Day weekend - so had to stay a few nights at another park (not bad, just ordinary) but on Monday we were able to move to Mama Gertoe's. What a wonderful experience - so beautiful, quiet, excellent shower and laundry, with an exchange library and computer hookups. I believe this is the most wonderful RV park we have ever stayed in. It's one of those places you are not sure you want to brag about too much, because there might not be any open space next time you want to stay there. They are booked years ahead for some seasons. Do not miss this if you are in the Asheville area. Everything others have said applies too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Belmont, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Lovely! This is a hidden gem campground that I will frequent often in the future. I needed to book a campground that had beautiful, natural surroundings, yet close enough to civilization that my newbie camper guests would be amazed by. They commented on the lovely environment, then checked the bathrooms and showers next. They were pleased, and I was happy they were happy! We had a tent site that was close to the stream. It poured down with rain our one night we were there, but it was so serene with the stream flowing in the background, that it did not matter that we were not able to build a campfire. It was one of the most restful nights I've had in a long time! Not to mention the blow up air mattress my boyfriend unexpectedly brought along but hey... no complaints!

Room Tip: Tent site #6 is close enough to the stream that you can hear it flow peacefully throughout your visi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oakdale, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The campground is built on the side of a fairly steep mountain, nestled into the woods. All the sites are carved out to form good size sites all level, clean and well-maintained. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Not a lot to do especially for kids but for just my wife and I with no kids... this worked well for us. A great getaway and only a couple of miles to I-40 and 10 miles from Asheville.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DMiner54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swannanoa
Holiday Inn Asheville - Biltmore East
Days Inn Asheville/Tunnel Road & I-40
Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East
Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Asheville Westgate, NC
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)

Been to Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground? Share your experiences!