“Very nice campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swannanoa
Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The bathrooms and showers were not only clean, but also quite nice. The laundry facility, which is in the same building as the bathrooms and showers was about the nicest facility I have seen in any hotel or campground. There are not that many tent camp sites (there are more RV sites), but the ones they have are nice and surrounded by wild rhododendron. I bet the rhododendron are amazing in the spring time. If I camp in the Asheville area again, this is where I am headed. An added bonus is that the campground is just one exit away from the Western North Carolina Nature Center (WNC) and not far from a Cheddar's restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in a cabin and loved it. We left the windows open and could hear the water running from the creek all night. We were very pleased with the campground - everything was so clean and I always felt safe, I highly recommend Mama Gertie's!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank NatalieinNC
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Nice place, I plan on using them again. Management was friendly, facilities were great. The tent sites were screened off from the RVs by trees so I didn't feel crowded in by them or their sounds. The area was lovely and there's an ACE Hardware and CVS not far for anything you might need. It was convenient to Asheville where I was visiting.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank shelleyf930
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Jerry and Jan kept telling us they were not the owners, but they treated us and the campground like it was their own. The bathrooms were spotless and I haven't felt as comfortable about taking a shower since I went to New Zealand (where all of the showers are stainless steel). The cabins were clean (not even spider webs outside) and accommodating. There was even a land line that was invaluable for helping us resolve a car repair issue. I will be coming to Mama Gertie's the next time I go to Swannanoa.

Room Tip: Ask for the cabins that are on the creek!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric H
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in the cabins and it was absolutely spectacular! The cabin and grounds were clean and very well maintained. The setting is so peaceful with a small stream right outside the cabin. Every time we went to the camp store, someone came up and asked if they could help us with anything, whether the store was supposed to be open or not. The bathrooms and showers were the cleanest I have ever encountered. My 86 year old father was able to stay comfortably with us for 3 days. It wasn't hard to find and we felt very welcomed the entire trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

What a great find. So peaceful with lots of gorgeous trees swaying in the breeze. Small creek can b lightly heard with the several types of bird chirping & wild turkeys now & then. Camp Hosts Jan & Jerry were just delightful. So bubbly and what a big help they both were.Thankyou for sharing yr knowledge. Eric was in the office when we arrived & led us straight to our site & made sure we were happy & off he went in his gulf cart only to b seen working & wotking some more. What a vision his uncle had when he saw this land. No expense was spared for the surroundings & the bathrooms & laundry r emmaculate! We wil certainly b back & blab to all our camping freinds to come here to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Veronica H
Reviewed April 12, 2012

It would have been perfect and we would have wanted to stay longer had it not been for a loud, inconsiderate family with two toddlers 10 ft away. The manager was apologetic, but unable to change the situation. They are also expanding, so there was quite a bit of machinery/construction noise. This, however, is not the fault of location. It's just that we look for peace, quiet, and relaxation (what a concept?) when we camp. It is difficult to enjoy sitting by the fire with screaming kids in the background. Other than this.... the shower was spectacular, the grounds superbly maintained, and Asheville is an incredible place to visit with outdoor activities, plenty of culture, good food, and art. I would come back again, but under some different conditions. I am new at this and my expectations were/are just a bit different than reality. You just can't please all the people all the time.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from children if you not want what comes with them.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rdgl57

Been to Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground? Share your experiences!