“Not a bad place”
Review of Island Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surf City
Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surf City
chesterfield, mo
“Not a bad place”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The rooms are a bit dark and in need of remodel but the location is Gretchen- walk right to the beach, near restaurants, etc. and the place is pretty redo ably price. If your neighbors are noisy though, you'll hear them all night.

Room Tip: Upper deck- not around the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank saratogasue
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
If neighbors were noisy I do wish you would have told us. We do not want anyone disturbed. Rooms around the pool have been remodeled. They use to have vinyl and carpet on floor, dark paneling on walls, bath door straight in fromt of you when you walked in, no tub, just a 32" flimsy fiberglass shower, and no where to sit but on the beds. Everything inside and out we have done except actually building the buildings.
We do want to add glass block windows to back walls to let more light in though.
Rooms on top deck all have 1 queen bed except for one room that has 2.
Do hope you will stay with us again :) Thank you for the input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The staff was really friendly. Loved the location, we plan on staying here again in the future. In the room they have a book of menus to the restaurants in the area along with directions to them. This was really helpful in deciding where we should go. We enjoyed our stay :)

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Nicolekallam
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place was close to the beach which is exactly what we were looking for. Another plus was it was walking distance to food and retail. Customer service was good, we had a concern that was addressed immediately.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank chubee01
Holly Ridge, North Carolina
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This summer was our first time visiting Surf City, and I am quite glad we chose the Island Inn for our stay. The price was excellent, the location was great (perfect would have been overlooking the beach, but this was more than acceptable), the rooms were clean and the staff and owner treated us well. I felt as though I was in a family owned establishment that took pride in what they did, how they ran their business and how their customers were treated. We will definitely be returning this summer even though its almost twice as far as our regular OBX stomping grounds.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nick F
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much!! We are a family owned and ran business. We do try to treat our guests like we want to be treated, with respect, courtesy and kindness. Always glad to answer a question or point you in the right direction!
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at the Island Inn on two weekends in the fall. Small but very clean, the Inn was right across the street from the beach and within walking distance of retail. The off season rates were attractive, and we would return when they reopen in the spring.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank geo08
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Think you must have hit the NO on the last question by accident??? You will return to stay, but checked NO on recommend to a friend. If this is correct, please tell us why so we can correct any deficiency.
Thank you so much for staying and will see you in the spring!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I arrived at the motel after 3:30p.m. I went inside to check us in while my husband waited outside.The owner charged my card and verified my information. I was a little surprised when she said after taking my payment that she would have to see if the room was ready. She called via walkie talkie to her employees who were still cleaning rooms. After a getting a response from them she informed me that it would be about 15-20 minutes before our room was ready, though the website said check in was at 3p.m.So I went outside to let my husband know the room was not ready.We sat in the car outside, me sitting there wondering if this was a usual occurrence.
After two minutes I decided to go back in and question the reason for the delay in our room. I went into the office and rang the bell to get her attention, and asked her why our room was not ready since it was after 3:30p.m when I checked in. I told her I didn't understand why our room was not ready, and it was unacceptable that we had to wait. Instead of apologizing she seemed surprised that I questioned her at all and she offered no apology or any type of compensation.Instead she got offended and gave me excuses for the delay. If she had seemed at all contrite or would have made any attempt at making good, I would have overlooked having to sit out in the parking lot waiting for our room to be ready.I went outside again and waited with my husband. After about 15min, I asked him to go in and see if our room was ready. He went in and asked her, she informed him that she already told me it was ready. Only she had not, she in fact told me the opposite. That was my experience with the hotel owner. The room was nice, and the best part about it was that it was right across the street from the beach. The customer service not so great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank angie m
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I do apologize and did when I checked you in. We were very short handed and had quite a few to clean. We strive for all to be done by 3pm check-in time, but do not always have control over what can cause delays.
Credit card was charged at 3:37pm. You returned at 3:48pm and I said it was ready but evidently you did not hear me. And yes, when you said "room not being ready by 3 was unacceptable", I did tell you why it was not ready.
Businesses do not operate in a vacuum formed by a perfect world with perfect conditions. I wish we did!
Tennessee
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have never heard of Surf City before a few days ago. I was traveling down the North Carolina coast and looked up hotels on Tripadvisor for the area. The Island Inn is a good value located just across the street from beach access. The room was clean, tidy and quiet. The bathroom was a little small but functional.The window AC worked very well.The staff was very friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JayTennessee
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you so much! Please come back for a visit and it was a pleasure serving you. So glad you were pleased!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surf City
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry
Seaview Pier Motel
Seaview Pier Motel
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!