“Nice location, bad customer service”
Review of Island Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surf City
Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surf City
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I arrived at the motel after 3:30p.m. I went inside to check us in while my husband waited outside.The owner charged my card and verified my information. I was a little surprised when she said after taking my payment that she would have to see if the room was ready. She called via walkie talkie to her employees who were still cleaning rooms. After a getting a response from them she informed me that it would be about 15-20 minutes before our room was ready, though the website said check in was at 3p.m.So I went outside to let my husband know the room was not ready.We sat in the car outside, me sitting there wondering if this was a usual occurrence.
After two minutes I decided to go back in and question the reason for the delay in our room. I went into the office and rang the bell to get her attention, and asked her why our room was not ready since it was after 3:30p.m when I checked in. I told her I didn't understand why our room was not ready, and it was unacceptable that we had to wait. Instead of apologizing she seemed surprised that I questioned her at all and she offered no apology or any type of compensation.Instead she got offended and gave me excuses for the delay. If she had seemed at all contrite or would have made any attempt at making good, I would have overlooked having to sit out in the parking lot waiting for our room to be ready.I went outside again and waited with my husband. After about 15min, I asked him to go in and see if our room was ready. He went in and asked her, she informed him that she already told me it was ready. Only she had not, she in fact told me the opposite. That was my experience with the hotel owner. The room was nice, and the best part about it was that it was right across the street from the beach. The customer service not so great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank angie m
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

I do apologize and did when I checked you in. We were very short handed and had quite a few to clean. We strive for all to be done by 3pm check-in time, but do not always have control over what can cause delays.
Credit card was charged at 3:37pm. You returned at 3:48pm and I said it was ready but evidently you did not hear me. And yes, when you said "room not being ready by 3 was unacceptable", I did tell you why it was not ready.
Businesses do not operate in a vacuum formed by a perfect world with perfect conditions. I wish we did!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have never heard of Surf City before a few days ago. I was traveling down the North Carolina coast and looked up hotels on Tripadvisor for the area. The Island Inn is a good value located just across the street from beach access. The room was clean, tidy and quiet. The bathroom was a little small but functional.The window AC worked very well.The staff was very friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JayTennessee
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you so much! Please come back for a visit and it was a pleasure serving you. So glad you were pleased!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend.Great location, one block from the beach! You can walk to most shops, restaurants. Beds are very comfortable. Inn offered free wifi but was inconsitant during our stay . will definitely come back again

Room Tip: Excellent location you can hear the ocean from the deck
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tyheiser
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our motel!
Unfortunately while you were here Charter was running a new line for phones and internet. Several disconnecting and reconnecting of cable did occur. However, it has been much improved with new lines!!
We appreciate all of our guests and do our best to keep comfortable beds, as well as other amenities upgraded.
Glad our being directly across the street from the beach worked for you!!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were visiting our son at Camp Lejuene in Jacksonville and added a couple extra days for a
mini-vacation for our anniversary. Our son was able to stay with us one night before he had to
leave. Fortunately when we made our reservation, they did not have a single bed room left so
they split the cost of the double with us which we had not known we would need.
The room was very well thought out, comfortable and clean. The cleaners forgot to empty the trash each day though. There was a trash can close to our room so we could take care of that ourselves. The "private" picnic area outside our room came in very handy during some unexpected rain. It turned out to be a wetter and cooler week than we had hoped for but
Island Inn was still an unexpected pleasure. We could walk easily to the many good eateries and shops in the downtown area and the beach was just across one small street. Excellent location!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you so much!! We do try hard to make every stay for every guest a good one! I don't understand why housekeeping did not empty trash if needed, but have spoken to them about this. Guests reports help us to make it better for the next guests and for repeat stay.
Always striving to make things better!!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Location was great. Rooms were small but clean. I really liked the outdoor space provided to each guest (picnic tables, hooks for drying beach gear, and rocking chairs). However after I left I was charged with a “lost” room key charge of 10 dollars. The owner texted me to ask where I placed the key. I informed her that I left it on the front counter while she was on the phone. Apparently she did not believe me and thought I lost the key and charged me. A day later the key appeared proving I was not the one who lost it, THEY were. They did credit my account but my account should have never been deducted for a key that was returned to them, told it was returned to them, double checked by me after the text; as it could have and turned out to be their mistake.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Bridgette S
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

There have been many, many times guests told me they left key on counter or in the room and it turned out to be in a suitcase or pocket when they got home.
If I was dishonest, I would not have told you about finding the key nor refund your key charge.
I try to be fair. It adds to a large expense for us every year with all the lost keys and that is why I had to charging for them. Electronic readers with key cards would not hold up in this salt air environment.
Thank you for staying with us!!
O

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Cleanest hotel we have ever stayed at. They even wash the comforters after each guests stay. A++++ Very convenient location in Surf City, very short walk to beach. Super cute rooms and a swimming pool.

8  Thank Dezso10

Thank you so much!!!
Even though I own the motel, I cannot do it all myself. My husband, son and housekeeping staff all appreciate hearing that our hard work is appreciated!!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had a wonderful stay in Surf City at the Island Inn and would recommend it for anyone looking for an affordable beach hotel in the area. The room was very clean and you could tell they took great care to keep it that way. The devil is in the details with hotels, so here are some quick hit observations (We stayed in Room 9): The remote control was the kind that is easily wiped down and easy to use. The TV was great quality and mounted on the wall for easy viewing from both beds. The beds were perfect - nice and firm! Our room had a little cubby area for dining as well as nice little corner shelves. The windows were brand new. We were easily able to fit our toddlers travel bed in the room. Outlets were readily available for plugging in all of our iphones/ipads, etc. The free wifi is pretty unreliable unfortunately. In fact, I would expect to not have a connection for most of the time you are there. The bathroom was very clean but had pretty wimpy water flow. I'm partial to being pelted when coming back from the beach. The AC was a window unit and I was a bit worried it wouldn't be large enough to maintain a nice temperature, but it handled it well. The maid cleans the room daily, but does not change the sheets (You can probably ask them to do that - we didn't). The room has a convenient mini-fridge. The outside of the hotel is well maintained and even with a full hotel we were always able to park late at night. The beach is right across the street - you cross on a very minor road. Food and a surf shop are within a block, including the New York Deli - one of the best places to get breakfast/sandwich on the island. (See my other review on it) All in all, we were very happy with the Island Inn and would recommend it. Just makes sure you have cellular access for your iPad! :P

1  Thank cpirrotta
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you so much!
Shelves will be put in back area of this room come winter. We just can't do everything we want over the winter.
The wifi is as reliable as Charter Communications. They keep telling me and other business owners it is because there are more people using it in the summer. Why they don't fix it I have no idea.
Sounds like we need to change the shower head. Wish you would've said something about water flow. We would have changed it while you were here. Even the self-cleaning heads (like we have) evidently do get clogged.
Sheets changed, floors mopped, bathroom cleaned were scheduled for your room on Tues the 7th and Fri the 10th. In between, rooms are serviced and sheets changed more often upon request. If this did not happen, please let me know!
relax@topsailislandinn.com

#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry
Shell Island Resort
Shell Island Resort
#3 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!