“Good time”
Review of Island Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surf City
Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surf City
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have never heard of Surf City before a few days ago. I was traveling down the North Carolina coast and looked up hotels on Tripadvisor for the area. The Island Inn is a good value located just across the street from beach access. The room was clean, tidy and quiet. The bathroom was a little small but functional.The window AC worked very well.The staff was very friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JayTennessee
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you so much! Please come back for a visit and it was a pleasure serving you. So glad you were pleased!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend.Great location, one block from the beach! You can walk to most shops, restaurants. Beds are very comfortable. Inn offered free wifi but was inconsitant during our stay . will definitely come back again

Room Tip: Excellent location you can hear the ocean from the deck
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tyheiser
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our motel!
Unfortunately while you were here Charter was running a new line for phones and internet. Several disconnecting and reconnecting of cable did occur. However, it has been much improved with new lines!!
We appreciate all of our guests and do our best to keep comfortable beds, as well as other amenities upgraded.
Glad our being directly across the street from the beach worked for you!!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were visiting our son at Camp Lejuene in Jacksonville and added a couple extra days for a
mini-vacation for our anniversary. Our son was able to stay with us one night before he had to
leave. Fortunately when we made our reservation, they did not have a single bed room left so
they split the cost of the double with us which we had not known we would need.
The room was very well thought out, comfortable and clean. The cleaners forgot to empty the trash each day though. There was a trash can close to our room so we could take care of that ourselves. The "private" picnic area outside our room came in very handy during some unexpected rain. It turned out to be a wetter and cooler week than we had hoped for but
Island Inn was still an unexpected pleasure. We could walk easily to the many good eateries and shops in the downtown area and the beach was just across one small street. Excellent location!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you so much!! We do try hard to make every stay for every guest a good one! I don't understand why housekeeping did not empty trash if needed, but have spoken to them about this. Guests reports help us to make it better for the next guests and for repeat stay.
Always striving to make things better!!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Location was great. Rooms were small but clean. I really liked the outdoor space provided to each guest (picnic tables, hooks for drying beach gear, and rocking chairs). However after I left I was charged with a “lost” room key charge of 10 dollars. The owner texted me to ask where I placed the key. I informed her that I left it on the front counter while she was on the phone. Apparently she did not believe me and thought I lost the key and charged me. A day later the key appeared proving I was not the one who lost it, THEY were. They did credit my account but my account should have never been deducted for a key that was returned to them, told it was returned to them, double checked by me after the text; as it could have and turned out to be their mistake.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Bridgette S
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

There have been many, many times guests told me they left key on counter or in the room and it turned out to be in a suitcase or pocket when they got home.
If I was dishonest, I would not have told you about finding the key nor refund your key charge.
I try to be fair. It adds to a large expense for us every year with all the lost keys and that is why I had to charging for them. Electronic readers with key cards would not hold up in this salt air environment.
Thank you for staying with us!!
O

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Cleanest hotel we have ever stayed at. They even wash the comforters after each guests stay. A++++ Very convenient location in Surf City, very short walk to beach. Super cute rooms and a swimming pool.

8  Thank Dezso10

Thank you so much!!!
Even though I own the motel, I cannot do it all myself. My husband, son and housekeeping staff all appreciate hearing that our hard work is appreciated!!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had a wonderful stay in Surf City at the Island Inn and would recommend it for anyone looking for an affordable beach hotel in the area. The room was very clean and you could tell they took great care to keep it that way. The devil is in the details with hotels, so here are some quick hit observations (We stayed in Room 9): The remote control was the kind that is easily wiped down and easy to use. The TV was great quality and mounted on the wall for easy viewing from both beds. The beds were perfect - nice and firm! Our room had a little cubby area for dining as well as nice little corner shelves. The windows were brand new. We were easily able to fit our toddlers travel bed in the room. Outlets were readily available for plugging in all of our iphones/ipads, etc. The free wifi is pretty unreliable unfortunately. In fact, I would expect to not have a connection for most of the time you are there. The bathroom was very clean but had pretty wimpy water flow. I'm partial to being pelted when coming back from the beach. The AC was a window unit and I was a bit worried it wouldn't be large enough to maintain a nice temperature, but it handled it well. The maid cleans the room daily, but does not change the sheets (You can probably ask them to do that - we didn't). The room has a convenient mini-fridge. The outside of the hotel is well maintained and even with a full hotel we were always able to park late at night. The beach is right across the street - you cross on a very minor road. Food and a surf shop are within a block, including the New York Deli - one of the best places to get breakfast/sandwich on the island. (See my other review on it) All in all, we were very happy with the Island Inn and would recommend it. Just makes sure you have cellular access for your iPad! :P

1  Thank cpirrotta
topsailislandinn, Owner at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you so much!
Shelves will be put in back area of this room come winter. We just can't do everything we want over the winter.
The wifi is as reliable as Charter Communications. They keep telling me and other business owners it is because there are more people using it in the summer. Why they don't fix it I have no idea.
Sounds like we need to change the shower head. Wish you would've said something about water flow. We would have changed it while you were here. Even the self-cleaning heads (like we have) evidently do get clogged.
Sheets changed, floors mopped, bathroom cleaned were scheduled for your room on Tues the 7th and Fri the 10th. In between, rooms are serviced and sheets changed more often upon request. If this did not happen, please let me know!
relax@topsailislandinn.com
Barbara, Owner

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here as part of an impromptu vacation planned earlier in the month. We did not want to pay for a whole week's worth of beach house, so we browsed reviews of budget hotels in the area and found the island inn. If you are looking for a cheap and clean place to stay located right next to the beach, you won't be dissapointed. Don't expect luxurious accommodations--you aren't paying for them! The island inn was perfect for a quick and affordable beach vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry
Shell Island Resort
Shell Island Resort
#3 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!