“Okay for the price”
Review of Loggerhead Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Surf City
Loggerhead Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Surf City B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Okay for the price”
Reviewed May 2, 2009

I stayed during the last weekend of April. From the outside the place looks clean and orderly. The manager is a decent sort , quite friendly and was very attentive to the problems I encountered. The area is quiet with a very short walk to the closest public beach access. The Surf City Pier is a bit too far to walk, however parking wasn't a problem. I had a room facing the inner courtyard. I realized on my last day that the sheets had not been changed once. The bed was comfortable yet the pillows were thin. The drawer of the nightstand next to the bed contained leftovers from previous occupants. I had to dispose of rolling papers, broken parts from sunglasses and earrings. Please note that when you check in you will be paying for your entire stay - no refunds. That's not a complaint but if you have to leave early you will lose whatever days you paid for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Michigan
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We decided to spend Labor Day weekend with our son who is stationed at Camp Lejeune. His only request was that we not stay at the Hospitality Lodge on base. Let me tell you, finding available rentals at reasonable prices during the holiday weekend is not easy. I found this property after numerous searches and decided to give them a call as some of the reviews I had seen elsewhere were good ones. The price seemed reasonable at $90 per weeknight and $110 for weekend nights.

The room was clean though small. You call tell it is an older establishment and it could use a little work. But all in all, a nice place.

No telephones/internet in the room, not a problem for us. Since we all carry our own cell phone this was a NON ISSUE.

Would have been nice to have a channel guide in the room for the cable channels.

Each morning we got a knock on the door asking if there was anything we needed for the room (usually we just needed towels) but they always offered to empty the trash and tidy up if we needed it. We usually take care of that ourselves when we travel so it wasn't a big deal.

We weren't looking for a place to spend our days, we just wanted a decent place to relax in the evening and sleep at night. We got just that.

The location is GREAT!!! A short walk to the beach, which was the main reason we chose this location - for it being Labor Day weekend we basically had the beach to ourselves during the day.
The pool is really nice, not huge but clean and a nice place to relax before bed. (Opens at 11am and closes at dark)

Would I stay there again? Probably, though I think that $110 is a bit expensive for the size of the room. Off Season it is lower per night.

Would I recommend it to another traveler? As long as you aren't looking for a five-star resort, yes I would.

Things that could have been better - - - -

The lower bathroom window was bubblewrap taped in with white duct tape. Needless to say nothing of value was EVER left in the room.

The air conditioning unit was, in my opinion, too small for the room but after several hours of running it on HIGH the room finally cooled to a comfortable temp. BUT, In the North Carolina humidity I'm really not all that surprised.

Like I said, you can tell it is an older establishment. All in all, a good experience.

• Liked — Closeness to beach access
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Arizona
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed at this Hotel in June, what a disaster. We came for a wedding and planned on staying with the bride but her place was just too small and Loggerhead was within walking distance so we decided to walk over to check out if they had rooms. They had plenty so we decided we'd like a lower room so we could park in front of our door. We checked into one room and then had to move to another because the air conditioner wasn't working along with other electrical malfunctioning appliances. The next room worked when it came to air conditioning and TV channels. I called home, (on my cell phone because the rooms had no phone service), to tell my husband we had made it there ok. I was informed that I need to try to come home earlier than planned because his father was ill and we need to get to Indiana sooner than planned. ASAP my daughter went to the Hotel office and told them of the emergency and that we'd only be able to stay one night and would have to leave the next day right after the wedding to drive back to Charolette to try to get an earlier fight out back to AZ. We were then told of no refund. They have a 72 hr. cancellation policy? We had no reservations, how can you have a cancellation policy for walk-ins, we were told as soon as we took the keys that was it, no money back ? Real family oriented, NOT. Most Hotels will work with you if there's a problem and when it comes to a family emergency, not them. So we checked out the following morning, went to the wedding and headed back to Charlotte. And yes, I was still charged for the night we weren't there.

This place is way over priced, I paid over $300 for two nights! one night we were really there. I have done extensive traveling and have paid as little as $49 a night (week-end rates) for cleaner and better built rooms.

This place was so unclean and falling apart. I don't care if we were in the original ground floor Hotel rooms, they should have been in better shape and CLEAN. These rooms were disgusting, the first hour there we killed two cockroaches! So needless to say our suitcases went up on the beds and stayed there until we checked out. We actually slept in our clothes that night too. The bathroom was nasty. There was three used bars of soap stuck in and around the shower area, the sink was held up by two large dow sticks, the floors were dirty and stained, and the washcloths and towels, they were so thin and dry rotted I wouldn't use them as rags, I would have tossed them out a long time a go. If we didn't have a wedding to go to we probably wouldn't have used the shower. It took me fifteen minutes to just wash my hair in the dribbling shower. I jokingly came in the bathroom when my daughter was in the shower and asked her if she had gotten her hair wet yet after fifteen minutes because she has long thick hair. As I was talking to her the showerhead blew off the pipe! Hitting her in the head and water spraying out of the pipe. What a surprise and mess.
I have pictures of all I'm talking about, I'm not making this up. The ceiling paint was chipping and hanging down. The overhead light had exposed wires and the smoke alarm was hanging off the wall. The microwave was dirty and rusty. The door was splitting from the inside as though someone had kicked in the door at on time. The doorknob was held in by a piece of sheet metal, and the door chain and hinges were rusted out. The rug had seams that weren't butted up together which was full of dirt and bugs.

I think you know by now this is not a clean place to stay. We had friends that came in for the wedding who stayed at a hotel just down the street from this one and paid a third of what I paid and they said the rooms were great down there. I would not recommend this place to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

• Liked — NA
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008
7 Thank SwtnLoAZ

Travelers are raving about these Surf City hotels

Tucson
Reviewed June 12, 2008

Went to Surf City for a wedding and walked to the Loggerhead. We were told they had plenty of rooms. So my Mom and I checked into #3. Two hours later we were switched rooms because the AC, fridge and TV didn't work.
We were moved to #2, the TV, AC and fridge worked but that was about the only good thing!
There were dead bugs in the corners of the room, paint peeling off the walls, the door knob was falling off the door like it had been previously kicked in because the door was split! The shower head only trickled water for my Mom's shower, when I got half way through my shower the head of the shower busted off and hit me in the head. (Not to mention that there was OLD soap in the shower from previous people.) The window was being held together by some sort of foil tape, the lock on the door was a rusty chain, the smoke alarm was hanging off the wall, the ceiling light had exposed wires, the light above one of the beds was so bright that it felt like a heat lamp.

We were told the rooms were nice, by the new guy that worked there. He NEVER said anything about no refunds. We had to check out a day early due to a family emergency, but Jerry, the manager said no refunds. If we had the key for only 5 minutes there are no refunds. He said there was a 72 hr cancellation policy, but we did not have reservations we were walk-ins. He also stated that they sell out by Friday Night, but Saturday Morning there were still a lot of rooms available.

We took 43 Pictures of the room!!! DO NOT STAY HERE! SAVE YOUR MONEY!
I would have rather slept in a car or a tent with a port-o-potty than stayed at the Loggerhead. It was by far the sleaziest hotel ever. It's not woth $20 per night and they charged us $100 per night!!!!
I will add photos to this review soon!!!

• Liked — Leaving it!!!!
  • Disliked — Being There.... everything was BAD
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank CharidyLW
TCB24-7, General Manager at Loggerhead Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2008
The Guest was fully aware of the accomodations before entering into the rental contract. she was afforded an opportunity to look at the room before signing and offered a different room at no additional charge after she became inconsolable. The guest chose to stay where she was at. Additioanally, the signed contract clearly states in large print "NO REFUNDS" on the top of the contract. The guest stayed an additional night after she had stated there was a family emergency. The guest was again offered a different room and refused. At checkout the guest threw the shower head at the management and stormed out the door. The showerhead was snapped off at the threaded end by force, and had to be replaced at a cost of $85.00 to the Inn. The same room has been rented 19 times since the guests visit and no complaints have been recorded.

Tony O'Connor
GM Loggerhead Inc.
Raleigh
Reviewed January 31, 2008

the Loggerhead is my favorite place! My daughters and I have been going there at least 3 times a year for the last 5 or 6 years and have the greatest time. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't like it, its close to the beach, simple, and there are no phones to annoy you. Perfect getaway! Staff is always very nice to us. I cannot wait to go back next month!

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank anjiliane
NY
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Absolutely the WORST!! We stayed on the 2nd floor; we had to CLEAN the bathroom when we got there. There were pubic hairs all over the sink, bathtub and toilet. We had to 'play' with the shower to work, the toilet didn't hardly flush (which the owner said was one of the best working commodes in the place!) Service was HORRIBLE; owners didn't care that it was dirty and would NOT do any kind of prorated refund.

• Liked — Nothing about this place was even ok.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank CoastinNy
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Our family went to the beach for our annual vacation trip. We live in Garner so of course could not go check the rooms out ourselves. BIG MISTAKE!!!! When we got there to check in, first we could not find any body to help us and when we finally did they were extremely rude and acted as if we were being a hassle. The first clue for us should have been the NO REFUNDS signs posted in the office about 10 different ones. When we finally got the keys, (we had 3 rooms which were supposed to be handicapp accessible and were not) we went to look at the rooms and opened the door to one it smelled of urine, the showers were the worst I have ever saw, and there were roach bugs crawling around in the room and ants in the fridge. There were no phones, the carpets were disgusting, the window was broke and duct taped closed and the air did not work. The cleaning staff were extremely rude and cursed in front of our children. We wanted to leave but there were no vacancies anywhere else and we could not get a refund. It was by far the worst place we have ever stayed. We definitely would not reccommend for anyone else to stay there and we will never stay there again. The only good thing about it is that it was a very short walk to the beach. Vacationers, BEWARE!!!!

• Liked — the close proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Seaview Pier Motel
Seaview Pier Motel
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville ...
#2 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Loggerhead Inn? Share your experiences!