“Shrimp Scampi so bad I had to spit it out! Place deserves a minus 10!!!”

Englese's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
East Aurora, New York
“Shrimp Scampi so bad I had to spit it out! Place deserves a minus 10!!!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

TRUST me ---- don't even think about going there for anything to eat! Should have know we picked the WRONG place for dinner when I noticed we were the only ones there! Hubby was in the mood for something other than seafood after having it for 3 nights in a row. Like an idiot, I forgot to check the place on tripadvisor. First thing that should have told me the cook --- certainly not a CHEF --- could not cook was the extremely bitter balsamic salad dressing I ordered the shrimp scampi. When it was served I was amazed and quite dismayed to see cooked lemon slices in the pasta and shrimp obviously either broiled or baked with the tails on. Silly me .. I decided to be a sport and give it a try. It was HORRIBLE!!!! When I told the waitress it was horrible she removed the offensive "dish". My husband had ordered the lasagna and was happily eating away. He said it wasn't bad. Suddenly a man dressed in a black chef's shirt appeared and challenged me on how shrimp scampi should be cooked. He informed me it was made with olive oil, garlic, lemon and a white wine sauce. He could not tell me specifically what kind of white wine. He obviously had no clue! The menu described the dish as "Shrimp Scampi ... Sauteed with garlic, white wine and butter, served over pasta." There could not have been even a pat of butter in it -- as the cook stated! The dish was heavy on basil as well. He told me that the next time I ordered something I should read the description on the menu for what I was ordering. Description for shrimp scampi? Surely he was joking!!! Scampi is scampi! We are from western NY State (and everyone knows NY State KNOWS Italian food) and in all the many years I have dined out I have never been so rudely treated. My hubby is a very mild mannered guy. He actually lost it and told the people what he thought of the way his wife had been treated by their so called chef. They had the audacity to try to charge him for the "scamp"i when he graciously (gracious because I would not have even thought of paying them a nickle because he managed to get about 3 bites of his lasagna before this happened).asked for the check .... I would have just walked out after that rude, verbally agressive behavior from the so-called chef. The place is a sham as far serving dinner. I cannot speak to the quality of their pizza as another employee was doing them.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Paula G

Bentonville
“Mostly great food. Average service”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and I ate here and my wife and daughter ordered pizza's. They were both fantastic. I had an order of Bruchetta and it was just ok. My sister-in-law had the Eggplant Rotini and it looked great, she said it was good. The service was a little slow.

• Visited August 2013
Northern Virginia
“Wish 0 stars were an option”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Topsail Beach and Surf City restaurants are notoriously packed on Friday night so we decided to try this place. We should have joined the wait at Max's or Long Island Pizza. Or we should have gone to the grocery and gotten Chef Boyardee. It was LOUSY!!! Bottom of the pizza burnt, overcooked pasta with awful sauce, doughy garlic knots, crappy bread on the subs etc. The service was polite but inconsistent. I asked for ketchup and got and almost empty, sticky bottle that was some off brand and seemed watered down. Anyway, avoid this place like the plague and pick one of the many good places around the area instead. Beach Grill, Sears Landing, the above mentioned Max's and Long Island Pizza, even weird little Batt's Grill!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Danegirl100
“Ever seen "Kitchen Nightmares"?”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Mussel appetizer was bland. I've never seen a pasta dish where I had to dig through the sauce with my fingers in order to get the clams and mussels out, since they were still in the shells. Even the hollowed-out lobster tail was buried in sauce. Then, the sauce was so spicy I couldn't taste any of it. My friend's steak was over-cooked (though the waitress argued with us) and unseasoned. Even the obviously-frozen lobster tail he had was flavorless and burnt. Not worth the $60. Left the food on the table and went to a fast-food place to get something edible.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank DBonnell
Washington, North Carolina, United States
“Great Italian Place!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a pizza and it was delicious! True Italian food! Service was really good. The inside was small but it was not very busy since we did not go until around 8pm. I would love to go back and try a meal. I saw some that others had ordered and for the price they were really large portions!

Visited July 2013