“Over Cooked and Over Priced”
Review of The Bistro at Just Baked - MOVED

The Bistro at Just Baked
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: High Point Dr.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Ambiance of the Bistro was awesome! Made you feel like you were walking into a high end restaurant. The hostes, and waitress were very profesional, polite and extremely helpful. We ordered the Crab Dip for starters, and it was too die for! Amazing! That is where it all fell apart! It took 45 minutes for our meal to come, Drinks started at $9.50ea. The meals were $25 - $35 not bad if they were as good as presented, but they were everything but! Our Dinner were so over cooked, and spiced that the shirmp tatsed like rubber, the Mahi-Mahi was so over cooked as was the Chicken on my wifes plate we could not finish eating it! We were hoping for so much more from the Bistro as it has a very good rating prior to this year, and we were told they changed their whole menu. Im thinking they should maybe consider going back to their old menu. Also while leaving I took a long good look into their kitchen and only observed what appeared to be high school students doing all the cooking, We did not see an older adult of Chef of any kind, just saying!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Bistro at Just Baked is the best restaurant on Topsail Island. Fresh and simple ingredients is what makes for fabulous food and they know how to deliver. Also, they have fantastic cocktails. The T.I. Tea is extraordinary as they make their own sour mix. You can tell it is not out of a bottle! If you want deep fried seafood then this isn't the place for you. If you want fresh seafood, grass fed beef, homemade everything, organic veg they grow themselves then you have found the place!!! We will be dining there again tomorrow night. Our third time this week!

2  Thank Lee G
Reviewed May 27, 2014

the prices at this place is way over rated food is ok, but the prices are way out of range food not that good either.

1  Thank atlanticboy70
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We try to eat at this restaurant every trip we make to Surf City, NC. The food is seasonal and fresh and I have never had a bad meal there. The risotto, calamari and tuna are my favorites.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I was a little concerned we might be underdressed when we first got seated because this is a very nicely decorated place you would find in a city, but once some other patrons trickled in I was put at ease. Not that any of the staff made us feel anything but welcome and were all very warm and friendly.
For those reviewers who complain about it being "pricey" probably don't eat at this type of restaurant. It has many interesting and unique aspects and quite frankly, you get what you pay for and the great quality and interesting combinations that they offer are on-par with their pricing (this isn't Bob Evans, guys).
If you are any kind of whiskey or bourbon connoisseur (I am not) they have a plethora of fancy ones to try. If that's not your thing though, they have plenty of craft beers and good wines, as well as some really interesting cocktails to choose from. I had something called the Monk's Dream that had a couple of French liqueurs I had never heard of so I had a great time researching their fascinating history while waiting for our food to come out.
And last but not least, both my and my husband's entrées were delicious. I had the pan seared sea scallops and they melted in my mouth like butter. Hubs had the grilled Mahi and shrimp and it was equally as good.
This is an ideal place for a special occasion or just a really nice dinner for a couple or small group.