“Good food with fresh local ingredients”
Review of The Bistro at Just Baked - MOVED

The Bistro at Just Baked
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: High Point Dr.
Topsail Island, NC
“Good food with fresh local ingredients”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I appreciate the fact that The Bistro makes an effort to use local ingredients for their dishes. Listed on the back of the menu is a long list of places where they get their products, including Davis Seafood in Sneads Ferry, the Farmers Market at Poplar Grove, several area farms and seafood places in eastern NC. The menu states, "...we want to serve freshly made, seasonal, and family-farmed foods, organic produce, chemical free meats and fresh local, sustainable seafood."

The food is delicious. When we recently went I had the pan seared scallops over a bed of collard greens, served with crispy grit cakes all with a light sauce/seasoning. The scallops were done just right, perfect in fact. I was very happy with my meal.

Others in my party had cornmeal crusted oysters, 14 spice crusted ribeye and salads with seafood. Everyone enjoyed their entrees; however, the soup and appetizer did not get rave reviews.

One person ordered the pan roasted mussels and clams as an appetizer and offered everyone else some. It's supposed to come in a tomato and white wine broth with andouille sausage toasted flat bread. There wasn't any sausage at all, we all agreed that the sauce tasted just like Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce with a few hot spices added and the bread that came with it was just toasted slices of loaf bread, not flat bread.

The two people who got salads with seafood also got a crock of the soup of the day, which was similar to New England clam chowder. When it came out it was barely room temperature and had to be sent back to be warmed up.

I had a cocktail that was very tasty. It was sweet wine with soda water, muddled cherries and mint. It was $9 and was basically a wine spritzer but was in a large glass.

In the past I've had Bistro Shrimp and Grits, which was also fantastic.

I recommend this restaurant, the food is delicious, but keep in mind that it is very expensive. The entrees range in price from $20-$32 (burgers and sandwiches are $14) but are ala cart. I would expect for the price to at least get a basket of bread or hushpuppies or homemade chips or something for the table or perhaps a side salad with the meal but you don't get anything extra at all.

We didn't get any desserts this time but we did the last time we were there and they were out of this world.

The service is outstanding. The wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful.

Make reservations if you plan on eating here (you can do it online), the bar area is very small and if you have to wait for a table you will be extremely crowded.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank conniecat

Wilmington NC
“Great dinner”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

as a local I have eaten at this place on a number of occasions both in and out of season. The reason I wanted to submit a review is because of the fantastic dinner I had last night. It would rival the dinner I've had in many good restaurants in much larger citiesthe only downside I would say is that you were going to pay a little extra for food here but in my opinion good food is worth the extra pay and this is certainly no exception to that rule I had the fresh hot Kavya which was from the local fisherman well my girlfriend has shrimp risotto both are excellent. this in my opinion is the best restaurant on the island although I'm not sure why it is listed as number 8 as I have eaten at the others on multiple occasions and they do not surpass the Bistro. although I take my children here on the off season I do not during the end season because I feel this is an adult restaurant as people are dressed up a little more than usual it is not a bathing suit at T shirt kind of place.

• Visited June 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Loved my steak”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Loved it . Was the best meal I have had in NC. I will return. The 14 oz rib eye was great . The burger would be my next meal there .

Charleston, South Carolina
“Large Appetizer Portions”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We returned to the Bistro having not been there for over a year, and despite being told to go to the bar when we arrived at our reservation time when tables appeared available, we enjoyed our dinner.Three of our party of four ordered a variety of appetizers which came in large portions, and the cearar salad with fried oysters was excellent. However, two orders of soup were served lukewarm.

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Best on the beach”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I love fried seafood and there is lots of it in Surf City. Bistro is not that place. Nicely decorated, professional staff and great food. I had the Cinco de Mayo special, a trio of beef, tuna and shrimp. It was very good. SO had oysters. I also had a trio of tequila shots that erased the bad taste I always remembered with cheap tequila. This was very good. All in all a great experience. The only thing I would recommend is that the homemade chips be crisped before serving. Seems that they are precooked and limp.