“Amazing place”
Review of Villa Capriani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Surf City
Villa Capriani
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Amazing place”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place has amazing pools, they are clean and have a great waterfall pool for kids. The beach is clean and I wuld go there again. I recommend this place.my family had a great time. My kids had fun at the beach

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lauren G

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family stayed at VC for at least several years in a row for our extended family vacation. The last time was maybe 20 years ago, Originally there were suppose to be more structures built just like the one in place today. This was intended to be a luxury resort. I was told it went into bankruptcy and auction. I remember talking to a couple people there who were owners. According to them, less wealthy people got in through the auction process and subsequent sales. I got this from one of the self-identified "less wealthy" who owned two units. Even back then it was apparent that the structures needed work or even renovation. The individual units differed greatly in condition depending on who owned them. It was a crap shoot on what you would get when you showed up. The grounds and pool were still well maintained and probably the best on the island. Some of the pool area closest to the ocean has been washed away. There was a kiddie pool and more where the beach is now according to the photos. Many of the rooms have balconies that look down on the pool area. Granny always liked being able to sit there and look down on her little kids so she could see they "were safe". Within about a mile, I guess, there was a little private air strip on the island, North Topsail Beach Airport. Some of our kids remember their first flight with "Airplane Gene" (Gene Gunter) who operated a tourist flight service from there. He would take you on a flight up and down the island in his Cessna 172 and provide a commentary on what you were seeing. Gene gave new flyers a certificate after the flight. The kids loved it.

It sounds like VC has come down because of the many absentee owners. As others have said, your individual unit is going to make all the difference in your vacation experience.

Room Tip: visit first to inspect and select a room(s).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank FM3bird
Goochland, Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Villa Capriani, Unit 316B, and we were extremely disappointed. The location and beach were great, but the unit itself was terrible. Where do I begin? The main problems were the smell, which was horribly musty and old, and this was in the whole unit and in the furniture too. Windows were not able to be opened and they seemed to be permanently stuck. There was no screen for the balcony door, which had a broken lock. Half of the electrical sockets didn't work, and bedding was very old, soiled and tattered throughout. We did bring our own linens, but the spreads were gross. The whole place gave us that 'icky' feeling. One of the bathrooms was not cleaned very well, had mold on the curtain liner, and still had a used towel and some hair in the tub. We complained to Treasure Realty and they couldn't have cared less and were very short with us on the phone. After reading other negative reviews about them and the resort, we definitely agree. So renter beware! If owners don't take care of their units, this could happen to you. Please do your research before booking your unit. This unit has definitlely seen better days and needs a lot of work. We will not stay here again..

Room Tip: Research the unit. Read reviews from other travelers.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank smrtmony

Travelers are raving about these Surf City hotels

Michigan
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here in 2010 and made the 16 hour drive to VC again in 2012. We researched our condo well, asking if all photos were current and if we could expect exactly what we saw in the photos. We got what we saw and the condo was clean and modern. The view on the 3rd floor was magnificent - looked over the resort and pools as well as the ocean and tons of beach.

The pools were again very clean, as were the grounds and beach - really pretty to look at. I know not a lot can be done about cockroaches but they freak me out - we are not used to them - and are filled with diseases. Our condo had roaches in the kitchen, on the walls and by the front door. We saw at least four huge black cockroaches. Once they sprayed, we stopped seeing them but we knew they were there. Flying cockroaches was agressive by the pool and even more flying cockroaches around our balcony which made sitting out there difficult because we could never truly relax. I don't know what they can do about this but I saw other 2012 reviews with the same issue about cockroaches. I just don't know if we would stay here again due to the roaches. We stayed again for two weeks but a after 10 days we were ready to come home, something that we didn't feel at all in 2010.

Again, people need to check the condos they rent, not just blindly pick one. Some owners care about their condos, some just rent them all year and couldn't care less what they look like. The grounds and pools themselves are fabulous.

Service at the front desk is medicore, always has been.

We stayed in Unit 312A -- clean (aside from bugs), great views and modern.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Loveran
New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at this place before, and rented through Treasure Realty before, but never again. We rented the above mentioned apartment this past weekend (3 BR, 3 BA, oceanfront) and it was a DUMP. It had not been cleaned - dead bugs were found on the carpet and in the tub. The hot water heater did not work in bathroom, although they did fix that after we called. The screens on every window were ripped if not shredded. The rugs were matted down and clearly have not been cleaned in years. The kitchen was really roughed up, the stove back looking like it had been beat with a wire hanger and a kitchen cabinet missing a handle. Overall and in my opinion it was a dump, dump, dump. We have stayed at other units at Villa Capriani that were much, much, much nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank kkwlaw66
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We have not been in the Topsail area before so our only education was the internet. Villa Capriani had everything we wanted - lovely beach, good pool, fishing and no crowds.
The pool was large and clean. There were many places to sit in or out of the sun. There's your typical loungechair/table savers, but we still had some to pick from. The beach was clean and the girls had fun in the waves. My husband enjoyed the Seaview Pier for fishing - lots of friendly people.

This was a very low-key vacation which was fine with us, but if you like crowds or shopping, maybe not for you. There are small shops in Topsail and Surf City. And some other stores off the island. Maybe drive to Wilmington if you want the larger city. It was very easy to get off/on the island and two separate ways. It was perfect for us - no crowds, but there are people.

The condo: I could tell from the pictures that it was a basic condo, but my family liked the ocean view. Very basic, needed a cleaning and it would be so simple and inexpensive to upgrade a little -- a new microwave, anchor the new dishwasher, chairs on the ocean view balcony... Just look at pictures and talk to the agent or owner. We did get a special and I think that's the only way they can rent this condo.

Next time I think we'll splurge on another condo. Will return to Topsail and Villa Capriani.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank dawn p
clarksville, md
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had such high hopes for my multi-family vacation. The rental site boasted: "brings to the Carolinas a level of luxury one expects at the worlds most exclusive communities." God help the Carolinas if that's their definition of luxury. There were two upsides: the pool and the beach. There too many downsides to mention them all here, but, in short: it's a dump. My unit (110A) -- was better than my sister's unit (117A - which smelled like cigarettes and furniture polish), but the entire property was dirty and dumpy. My unit was tidy, but definitely not clean. Mold on the shower head; mold on the comforters! It seemed like someone tried to redecorate recently, but it was like putting lipstick on a pig...no matter how much you try to dress it up, it's a dump. The entire property needed a giant bleach bath - rust everywhere around the pool. The pool bar was filthy. The hall doors were disgusting. The "gameroom" (which featured three games) was repellent (not sure anyone had been in there to clean in this decade). And the pool area bathroom was worse than a Waffle House bathroom on a Saturday night. The location and potential of this place is amazing, but it truly seems like no one cares. If someone invested time and money (heck, even a good cleaning and a few coats of paint), it could be a nice little vacation spot. As it is, I'd rank it at the level of a Super 8. Luxury? Not even close. Villa Capriani is about a hundred light years from luxury. What a missed opportunity.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Camp Lejeune
Topsail Shores Inn
Topsail Shores Inn
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry

Been to Villa Capriani? Share your experiences!