“No Frills Souther Cooking”
Review of Gravy

Gravy
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Sunset Beach
Cuisines: American
Description: Phone - 910-579-4733
Description: Phone - 910-579-4733
Abingdon, Virginia
“No Frills Souther Cooking”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Stopped in for dinner one evening during a busy time of year. Looks like a barn from the outside and the inside decor is simple, yet effective. The restaurant is on the small side so it may be difficult to be seated with large groups, but we had no wait with a table of 2.

The menu offers a typical southern dinner type affair with some extra seafood choices (being at the beach and all.) I had the small fried shrimp plate and my girlfriend had the country fried steak. The small shrimp was large enough for even the hungriest person. It came with hushpuppies, fries, slaw, and iced tea was included in the reasonable price. The dinner plates came with a choice of 2 sides ranging from baked beans to creamed spinach. Everything was cooked well and tasted great.

The service was very good and my glass of tea never ran empty. The place is open M-F and then only from 4-8 on Saturdays and closed on Sundays.

Overall I felt like we had good food at good prices. There was nothing outstanding about it but I would definitely return.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank ecpux

Charlotte, N.C.
“Great food, price and service.”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Look elsewhere for your "fine dining" experience. Gravy is about good food, done simply and at a reasonable price. We had the country style steak that was really like it should be fixed at home. We also had the "Beach Burger" that wasn't on the menu but was the best burger I've had in ages. The fries were crispy and hot. Be ready for a sugar high with the sweet tea because it's the real thing; switched to unsweet for the refills. Saw some seafood platters at tables nearby that looked more generous than at the noted seafood places nearby. Sanitation grade was 102...not sure how you get extra credit to go over 100. Just don't go looking for fancy or for low cal...just enjoy.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank rookietraveler2
Calabash, North Carolina
“HUGE BURGER - Great food, really low prices”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

This place is great. It used to be called "The Beach Drive Diner" (for years and years) but they recently changed the name of it. Why? I don't know, ask them.

I went there on a quest for the best cheeseburger in my area and I found it here. I'd heard rumors of this burger ("big as a hubcap") but hadn't tried it. Anyway, I go in there and review the menu but the big burger isn't on there. The only burger they had was 1/4 pound patty. Also, on the menu it said "hamburgers come well done only."

So I ask the waitress when she comes. "I've heard of this huge burger but I don't see it on the menu."

She says "Oh, you're thinking of the Beach Burger ... it's not on the menu but we still make it." So I ordered it and I told her I wouldn't be too upset if it wasn't "well done."

My buddy ordered a hamburger steak (12-oz patty.) When the food came out, it appeared that his hamburger steak and my hamburger were about the same size. They were both well done - but not burned. I got the "small" order of fries and there were PLENTY of fries.

It was $4.50 for the burger, $1.25 for the fries, and 99-cents for the iced tea. Total $6.50.

Another buddy of mine had liver and onions with a couple of different veggies -- I think his bill was $9