“Better place for value and comfort”

Brookwood Inn Statesville
Brookwood Inn Statesville
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Statesville
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed here on the way and it was nice, close to the highway and to most of the restaurants.
The stay was comfortable, the place is cleaner than my hotels I stayed. The bed is comfortable and sheets are nice. Breakfast is ok (no fruits though) with cereals, breads and bagels. It was nice to have a fresh waffle, very tasty. Water was cold in the swimming pool. I would recommend definitely for the value you get the dollars spent. Also, there is a movie theater very close by to enjoy, and we liked it.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Non-smoking room, Very comfy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin R

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Please please take time to explore your options and the remaining Statesville Exits on this stretch of highway. I am not sure where to start.... for to say this family owned property where the family members live on site have a "policy" that if you are in the room past 15 minutes from them running your credit card and find the conditions of the room deplorable you can't expect to have an apology or a refund credit. Deplorable by my standards and I think anyone with a family or alone would agree that we all expect cleanliness, and average amenities. Like soap, towels and working heating and cooling unit. My nightmare began when we returned to the room for the first time after check and dinner to find filthy carpet, and drapes fill of stains, and 2 inch thick dust along with blood stained sheets !! The final straw were the 3 bits I got on my legs immediately after I sat down on the chair..in the room. My husband immediately contacted the front desk person and took pictiures of my bites and the sheets. We stated this was unexceptable and asked for the manager and a refund since we had been there a total of 15 minsutes or so... we were told to call after 7 pm the following and that we could not be refunded!! Guess what a week later no call back and unreturned calls to them we contacted the Health Department and read the dirty laundry list of complaints...

Room Tip: Head to Charolette it is only another 43 miles and far better options for all types of accomodations...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Helen B
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stopped by here to save some money. Staff was very friendly, breakfast in the morning was nice (coffee was the main thing I was looking for), and the room was good for the price. Definitely ask for a non-smoking room, which are much nicer than the smoking rooms. And if you are a smoker (like me), you can always step outside and smoke. A nicer room makes the stay much more enjoyable. All in all, for the price, it was a pretty good stay. There are better places, but for the price, you can't beat this place.

Room Tip: Outside rooms are much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great place to stay and swim. Nice environment, and close to highway. Nice restaurants near by. The staff was very nice and helpful compared to other motels in the nearby vicinity. It is worth staying here for the price we paid. Starbucks is right out there in the same parking lot, and we enjoyed the great coffee and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Sheets had not been changed from previous occupants. Pillow cases still had previous occupant's make-up on them, however, instead of changing them the pillow cases were just turned inside out and put back on the pillows. There were (seriously) 3 inch roaches inside our room. I went to the front office to request more towels & the manager refused to give me any more towels. We had 2 towels so thin you could literally see through them. We paid for 2 nights. Before 8am we went to get a refund for night #2 & the owner would only return half of the money. No matter how tired or desperate you may feel while travelling, PASS this place by or you will live to regret your decision. Young couples living in this hotel. It's like crack jungle.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank lindylou2you
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We checked in and went to bed; sheets were very flimsy and looked dirty; 20 minutes later I was covered in hives and my face was swollen from lying on the pillow. My husband immediately went to the front desk and asked where the nearest ER was. He told them we would not be returning. I spent 4 hours being treated for a severe allergic reaction and it cost us $200 for the ER fee; the manager refused to refund even part of our money and then hung up on me....I travel all the time and I have never had a reaction to sheets; they claim they use Eco friendly products; do not stay here.....it is very old and the floors were filthy...the room also had a horrible odor.

Room Tip: Please don't stay here; my throat was closing up and I could have died; when I called to explain...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MARTHA S
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The management here, however kind, have bought themselves a block full of issues.The first indication of a hotel with issues in when (staff) family members are hanging out in the lobby watching T.V. I stayed here out of sheer desperation for a nights rest. What I got was a lesson in how some things are acceptable to low or no income hotel guests. There are actually people living here! The permanent residents appear scattered as not to promote gatherings or "sections". Interesting how many "disabled" and "unable to work" folks get free hotel rooms at taxpayer expense. The "lesson learned" (at this hotel anyhow), is that many of these guests collect a check, but are energetic enough to drink, smoke, party, BBQ, swim, and chase after kids but choose not to work.
I was smart enough to "view" a room prior to purchasing one for the night, but I was obviously bait and switched. The room I had here was borderline filthy (i never took my shoes off). Cigarette burns in the old carpet, a smelly portable closet with broken hangers, a toilet with the internal chain rusted off, 100 thread count sheets that didn't fit (but appeared somewhat clean) on old beds, and a gross shower with a Hampton Inn style bowed shower curtain rod (but it was bowed downward). The ice machine is inside the lobby, presumably to keep the riff-raff from raiding it.
If you are traveling with kids that are accustomed to 3 and 4 star accommodations but continue to seem unsatisfied, take them here for a night. They will be sure to hate you for the evening, but may appreciate you for years to come.
Brookwood Inn offers a breakfast, but frankly, I was afraid to attempt it. God knows what could possibly have been in that in room coffee pot the night before!
If it comes down to spending the night in your car or staying at Brookwood Inn, the hotel room may be slightly more comfortable and has a television set. But, a good nights rest may be challenging. Overall, some lessons in life are expensive. This lesson is well worth the $29.95, but not a penny more (unless of course the American taxpayer is footing the bill). Then it's such a bargain, you will have plenty of government money for cigarettes, beer, and steaks for the outside grill's here. Embrace the culture!

Room Tip: As if the room comes with Lysol, shower shoes and bug spray. Request a room in the upscale side of t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo