“Nice Little Restaurant”

Tokyo Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 42 Restaurants in Spruce Pine
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The lunch I had at the Tokyo was very enjoyable, it was buffet, and everything on it was fresh and hot, We were greeted as we entered, and served quickly. It's not a large restaurant, but cosy and very friendly. It's right in the heart of lovely Spruce Pine, N.C., a beautiful Mountain Town, and after eating, we had the pleasure of shopping up one side of the street and then down the other, our hunger well satisfied by such a nice restaurant.

1  Thank binjammin
There are newer reviews for Tokyo Restaurant

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This place is the best Chinese or oriental food you're going to get in the area without traveling to Boone or Asheville. This is a very remote rural area with few options available to you. That said, I rate the buffet 3 stars, and would rate it higher if the food were more original and the seating more comfortable. I rate the "order off the menu" entrees a little higher; 3.5 to 4 stars, and they will customize if you ask-- but you pay a little more for less food. On the buffet, the food is OK, and you can definitely fill up happily on things that taste good, but it's very standard "Chinese buffet" fare and is pretty much greasy/fried stuff. The service varies depending on when you hit them and who you get as a server. I admit the seating and atmosphere can be very uncomfortable, especially when it's cold outside and the building hasn't heated up, or if you have an ample behind to balance on their small, rickety chairs, but I like to do carry-out. The bathroom facilities are tiny and old, but I rarely need them. I've eaten here many times, and despite some other reviews mentioning the sanitation, though the building is dingy and old, I've never seen a problem with dirtiness around the food, and never gotten sick after eating here, as I have at other fancier places with better ratings. Another big point in their favor: they don't complain/whine to you about you getting too many of the expensive choices on the buffet like the proprietor of the other Chinese restaurant in Spruce Pine sometimes does; also, they are quite polite about getting more of something from the kitchen if a dish has run out and you ask, and the food is usually very consistent in quality unless you go near end of the buffet time on a slow day. I eat there frequently, both alone and with friends or family. I recommend that if you're frustrated with the service, do speak up, but be patient and don't yell at the staff if they have trouble understanding you; being loud doesn't help them understand more English. Try speaking slowly and/or pointing at the menu instead, or ask for someone who speaks more English.

2  Thank Cara_G_Chapel
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Theres great food, at a low cost, I eat there often. There's a buffet that I crave all the time. They even have a website you can order off of. So if you don't like to talk, then go on their web page and order. See the menu/ pics and everything. The waitress's are really nice too.

1  Thank Josh C
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

I eat here all the time and the food is so wonderful, its always hot and fresh. I love the Teryaki Steak and Chicken the vegitable rolls are just yummi and oh the coconut soup with either chicken or shrimp is to die for.
I don't know why people complain unless they're just looking for a free meal!
The staff is lovely and always happy, food arrives hot to the table or even hotter to go!
Never listen to a bad review check Tokyo out for yourself!

4  Thank bmyangel_19
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This Asian fusion restaurant has been given a prestigious award by CRN (Chinese Restaurant News) and it definitely shows! I never do buffets but their fresh cooked food here is simply divine! The General Tso's Chicken, Sesame Chicken, and Shrimp with Onions are the best things there. This place stands out from most other Japanese/Chinese restaurants. I love it!

2  Thank Shaney777