“Hopefully This Was An Off Day”
Review of Gem Mountain

Gem Mountain
Ranked #4 of 16 things to do in Spruce Pine
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer gem mining at it's best! You can mine the buckets here at the flume line or you can take the 4 hour trip out to the mine to dig your own. The mine trips do require a reservation. You can do the mining at the flume rain or shine. We also have a General Store/Gift Shop, Jewelry Shop, a free fluorescent mine display, a picnic area to go along with the gem mining. We also have gold panning. We are located one mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway so there are lots of places to do hiking if you like. Come and enjoy a fun filled day with us!
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were a party of 3 and inside the enclosed flume area. We purchased the $85 bucket (which really costs $91 and change with tax). This is the first place we had additional charges for tax on the bucket instead of it being included. You are pretty much on your own in the flume area. The buckets are cleaner, as there is not much dirt. Found some decent minerals and stones.
Went inside and 2 of us had the older man and our 3rd person had the lady. Should have just waited and let the woman review our finds. She was kind, informative and helpful. The man was disinterested, rushed, rude, and basically treated us like we were bothering him. Not sure why he does this for a living.
We have been to numerous mines in NC (Boone and Franklin areas) and this one was no comparison. We will not be back.

6  Thank debkoval

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We come here everytime we are in the area. Love this place! Same friendly family members there each time. Never seen the man that owns the place but I see his wife everytime we go. I love her! She is beautiful, sweet, so helpful and full of knowledge. Feel like I am visiting old friends when I go. Always find great things. We have made amazing memories here as a family!

1  Thank chargertraveler
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Went to Gem Mountain about a month ago and had a blast! Also found many great examples in my rough gem stone bucket! Had 2 of them cut and they arrived today...1 5.75 ct. Garnet and one 6.09 ct. Amethyist! I brought home about 25 rough gem stones which are worth having cut, so will either send a couple back to them for cutting or make a return trip and have more fun! My trip takes about 6 hours, but the end result makes me feel like a kid at Christmas! Anyone who goes and says they just looked through rocks, should have been asking more questions, for I cannot belive they only got a bucket of plain rocks! They are very helpful just for the asking!

I have yet to be cut, some Emeralds, Sapphires, Amazonite, more Garnat and more Amethyist, so I really don't need to go back, but just want to! Would I recommend? What do you think?

For the smaller stones which were not worth cutting, I purchased a Tumbler and now am having a ball processing them! Tumbler and processing grit only cost me $103.00! The only thing I regret is not getting into this hobby sooner, but this 73 year old man is having a ball now! Enough said! Go and enjoy for yourself! There is no Fee for looking around or going into the store and a fair price for the buckets of Gem Stones you can purchase!

2  Thank Densuke
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went back in June 2012 after first trip in 2011. Had a good time both trips. Folks are friendly and hill country honest. Did a bucket on the flume line and got some good stones - a lot of them from Brazil and other Carolina locations. But good variety and decent quality - very happy with our faceted stones.
Both years we went to the Brushy Creek Mine. We found lots of garnets, aquamarine, tourmaline (mostly black but some green...) and some really nice golden beryl (like an emerald only yellow). I had heard some people talked about "salting" the mine, yet I spent an hour chipping beryl out of a huge boulder that clearly was not salted. In helped that it rained the day before to help wash dirt away to possibly making it easier to locate the good stuff. Had several faceted there - reasonable price for what you get. Had them re-appraised when we got home and it was extremely close to Gem Mountains appraisal. So go relaxed and have a good time. Be ready to get dirty and high humidity can be taxing but it is mining after all.....

3  Thank JimScubaDude
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were hoping to have some fun and maybe find a small treasure. Instead, we had to pay a lot of money and spend 2 hours sifting through a bucket of regular rocks. What a waste of our precious time on vacation.

3  Thank 927susan927