“Go for the adventure”

Ranked #2 of 42 Restaurants in Spruce Pine
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Seasonal, farm-driven, local food prepared in creative and loving ways. Reservations are not required but highly recommended. For parties of 6 or more, we require a credit card on file. In the event of a cancellation within 24 hours of the reservation, a $100 cancellation fee is charged. if you have an allergy or dietary restriction, please call ahead. this is the only way to ensure that we will be able to accommodate your specific needs.
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Local foods (western North Carolina mountains) prepared in interesting and unusual ways. Do not eat here if you want the mundane, the tried and true. Last night I had a pork chop on black beans topped by a spicey Korean-style slaw, preceded by sauted turnips (four varieties), onions and kettle corn. A sweet chocolate desert. With a nice Italian wine, my wife's chicken dish and a squash soup the bill came to around $87. Service? Equivalent to the best restaurants in the cities. Again, do not try this place if you do not like to take chances. I cannot wait to get back.

1  Thank Roycal

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Restaurant.

Casual, friendly, great food. We did have to ask the chef to make a salad as there was not a green salad on the menu which was a bit odd. What he did make was fabulous. My child is pretty easy to please but found a lot of food to fussy, too much of a mix of sweet and savory at brunch.

Perfect for a relaxed lunch after a visit to Linville Gorge.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We need more wonderful little restaurants like this in the mountains of western North Carolina! This lovely, "shabby chic" establishment is in old downtown Spruce Pine next to the tracks. (You can on occasion look out the window and see a train rumble by across the street.) The menu is always a little different, eclectic--and always filled with the freshest veggies and fruits of the season. Many of the foods are local, and especially fresh and flavorful. We enjoyed excellent service, and owners Wendy and Nate are friendly and attentive. We will go back!

2  Thank Teresa453
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I took a drive today on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to see the fall color (in mid-October very good in places, past its peak in the Craggie Gardens and Mt. Mitchell area) and had dinner at the Knife and Fork in Spruce Pine.

It was a very pleasant and enjoyable dinner. I'm not sure I'd make a special trip from Asheville to eat here, since there are so many wonderful restaurants in Asheville, and it's a two-hour trip by the Parkway and a bit over an hour via US 19 and I-26/19-23, but if you're in Spruce Pine the Knife and Fork is doubtless the best restaurant in the area and well worth a stop.

On a Friday night the 30-seat restaurant was pretty much full from 6 pm onward.

The chef, Nate Allen, puts together some interesting taste combinations, such as the parsnips and kettle popcorn small plate we had for an appetizer (just $5). However, like some other young chefs perhaps -- in my opinion -- he goes a little too far at times. For example, my hanger steak with crispy potatoes and arugula ($22) was excellent -- the beef was tender and the potatoes were indeed crispy and very good -- but perhaps I would have more enjoyed an honest, tried-and-true steak frites entree. My wife's trout ($18) also was good, but heavy on the flavorings and sauces -- after all, what can top a plain seared or pan sauteed trout without flourishes? LIkewise the pumpkin pie was excellent, but the toasted homemade marshmallow fluff topping was, well, a bit over the top. The pie was so good it didn't need the topping.

I do like the rigorous farm-to-table philosophy here. The service was prompt and friendly, and the atmosphere of this little bistro on the lower level of town was more than one would have the right to expect in Spruce Pine.

I don't mean to damn with faint praise. You have to admire the owners and what they're trying to do. The menu changes frequently, so I'm sure if you ate here regularly you'd fine some very exciting fare.

Dinner for two with two appetizers, two entrees, a bottle of Spanish wine, one shared dessert and one coffee (although it was brewed in a French press the coffee, from a local coffee shop -- I think fD.T.'s Blue Ridge Java -- frankly wasn't very good) came to $87 before my usual generous tip. Expensive for Spruce Pine but not a bad value at all for the quality of food and service.

Knife and Fork serves wine and beer only. It's open daily except Mondays.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The trout gravlax was fantastic, and the fried chicken sandwich was the best I've ever had! We appreciated their farm to table approach to food and we'll definitely go back the next time we're in the area.