“a surprise find”

Ranked #17 of 82 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For current menu and wine list information, please visit our website
Annapolis, Maryland
“a surprise find”
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I read some reviews online and we decided to check out Live Oak Cafe. We'd never seen it before, as we arrive by boat and it's a ways up the road from the water. (Coming from the water, it's on the main road on the right.)
What I enjoyed most were the quaint little separate rooms; it felt like we were dining in someone's home and not a restaurant. Our server was very knowledgable about the specials and how each dish was prepared. The filet was tender and juicy - just perfect! My wife had the grouper special and said it tasted fresh and flavorful. They have a decent wine list (maybe a bit pricey) and we were familiar with the red and the white glasses we selected. Overall, just a nice dining experience between the service and the food. Also, my wife remarked that the women's room was "adorable" and she wished I could see it! We will definitely be back on our next visit to Southport.

1 Thank TomMetcalf

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Food is pretty good but...”
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Food is pretty good but WAY overpriced for the area

3 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Christiansburg, VA
“Feel of a small town, food quality of the biggest of cities!”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I decided to try Live Oak while on vacation last week and was very impressed with the whole experience. We didn't have reservations but they did allow us to walk in and dine on the outdoor covered patio. The ambiance is great, the dining rooms are small and quiet unlike most restaurants today. The service was superb with the waitstaff trying their hardest to take care of the customer. The menu was very innovative and unique with entrees such as their own version of a cheese steak (London broil and brie). I had one of the specials of the night which was a gorgonzola crusted beef tenderloin with garlic mashed potatos. The steak was cooked just right, served hot, and very flavorful. The other special was a swordfish fillet over a black bean sauce, which was also of the highest quality. I look forward to coming back next time I'm in town and will make reservations to make sure I get in.

2 Thank ahokie03
NC
“Not typical for NC beaches”
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Coming from the Raleigh/Durham area, where the choice of fine dining establishments is fairly extensive, we were pleased by what we found in Southport at the Live Oak Cafe. The menu, as of early June 2007, included my choice, Jumbo Sea Scallops and Colossal Shrimp, $20, with artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, crumbled feta, and blood orange-poppy seed vinaigrette; An abrieviated description to be sure. The combination works well and nothing was overpowering, though there did seem to be a tad much feta. My spouse had Basil pesto encrusted Salmon, $20, and was equally pleased. During our visit the menu consisted mainly of seafood dishes, though there was a pasta primavera, and a couple of Steak entrees. If you ever visit, the "Live Oak famous blue crab dip" certainly lives up to it's name, and the Pecan Pie with Kahlua ice cream, adds an interesting twist to a southern favorite. Being reasonably priced, and allowing casual dress, the other diners, during our visit, included families with children and teenagers in a group. I would certainly reccommend this restaurant to anyone who wants more than the basic seafoof fare usually offered at the beach.

7 Thank Enki12
Southern US
“Best fine dining in Southport”
Reviewed January 16, 2007

This fine dining establishment is housed in a charming bungalow on the main street going toward downtown Southport. The chef has a seasonal menu of fresh American fare - I have had seafood both times I was there (the wahoo special was fabulous), but the beef/pork/chicken items always look good too. Prices are in line with fine dining establishments and the service was not hurried and professional. It is not a large place, so reservations are a must.

5 Thank SuziQ22