“great meal, superior service”
Review of Live Oak Cafe

Live Oak Cafe
Ranked #20 of 86 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For current menu and wine list information, please visit our website
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had a very nice meal at Live Oak Cafe in Southport NC. Charming , quiet atmosphere,, very satisfying meal. Very fresh and very nice from the breads ,to the soup and salad , and the main courses. We both had "half plate" entrees that were portioned very generously. I did not know what wine to order from their extensive list, and our host / server [Chris Joyce] asked what entree i was having and recommended a glass of Shiraz that was the smoothest that i ever had. I rarely make a big stink about choosing wine [I'm a regular guy from Philadelphia !] and wonder why some restaurant-goers make such a fuss about it, but Chris really steered me right.and took care of it. His service was excellent and he made us feel very much at home in this very comfortable place. We plan to come back the next time we are in town.

1  Thank stelladoggie

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I feel a little out of step with the other reviewers. Loved the place, service was great, but the food was not all that I've read in the other reviews. I'd like to give it 3.5 rating, but can't, because it wasn't bad. It just wasn't terrific. (This being said, I'd go back again.)

Live Oak Cafe is a restaurant in Southport, located on the main drag. It is a charming place, inside and out, both comfortable and upscale in feel.

The three dining rooms are small but are capable of accommodating larger parties. Book ahead for that, though. There is also a screened-in porch area for dining, as well as a small wine garden.

The menu is large, with choices for every type of eater. Seafood is, of course, featured prominently.

We started with the Cesar salad, very tasty, and a basket of warm rolls, also very good.
My friend and I each had the Mediterranean Bake, a dish consisting of seafood, capers, tomatoes, olives, artichokes, and other things. It is MASSIVE, and came with a huge scoop of rice on top. This dish should have been awesome, but it wasn't. It was good, not great. Fish was overcooked. Flavors were odd. We agreed that while it was certainly more than edible, we wouldn't order it again.

We passed on dessert. Bill for 2 glasses of wine, salad, and entree was a reasonable $44 before tip.

As the place is small-ish, it is appropriate for well behaved children.

Wine, beer, and full bar selections, but no actual bar.

Non-metered on street parking, as well as a small parking lot available.

Closed on Monday.

1  Thank lclarknj1
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I was recently out to eat with my girl friend, parents and about 14 of there friends, the service was GREAT! Our server Brandy was wonderfull, everything was prompt and on point. All of our food was on time at the same time! And cooked perfectly, the jumbo sea scallops were amazing I added 3 of them with my Large Ribeye cooked to a perfect medium. Thank you Brandy and a big thank you to Live Oak Cafe and the chef that made my food. If you ever make it to myrtle beach be sure to check out my restaurant "Love & Gratitude Cafe" (L&G Cafe).

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We came to Southport to celebrate our anniversary and my birthday and the owner of our B&B recommended Live Oak. We loved the way it looked from the outside and the menu was awesome too! We spent the evening at your restaurant and had a great meal and an even better experience! Very cute place!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went here last night for dinner. First time we were ever here and we loved it! Food was excellent and great atmosphere. We ate out on the little deck and enjoyed every minute of it. The service was great. Our waitress (we didn't get hr name) was the sweetest, most cheerful person. Worth coming back just for her. We will definitely be back next year. This will be on our list for restaurants to visit while staying here.