“Gourmet comfort food”

Frying Pan
Ranked #6 of 86 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the historic Old Yacht Basin, the Frying Pan features fresh, local favorites from grilled and pan-seared seafood to perfectly fried specialties. Combined with savory homemade sweet potato biscuits and desserts by our own Ms. Dot, the Frying Pan offers unique combinations to suit any palateand fill the soul. Come by and get a taste of the low country served with a side of southern hospitality.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We ate just past sunset. After first enjoying the amazing views we got to the menu. I had the shrimp and grits, which had an amazing sauce. My wife had a salad with shrimp, we she said was delicious. We found the wait staff friendly and helpful. The architecture of the building is great. Soring ceilings, exposed trusses and windows that offer a panoramic view of the ICWW and Cape Fear River. We highly recommend!!

1  Thank Sc0tt101

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is how Seafood and Fried Seafood should be cooked and served.
This is how it use to be done in Calabash, southern style cooking.
These people care about the food they are preparing.
It is not just hurry up and fix the food, deliver to the table, NEXT!
The view looking over the water to Bald Head Island does not suck either.
They are now closed for the winter so you will have to wait for Spring.

It is worth the drive from Wilmington so go check it out when it Re-Opens in the spring,
you will not be dis-satisfied !

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I was very excited to hear that there was a new restaurant in town and decided to go check it out! The view from the restaurant was amazing and it had an overall great atmosphere. Our server was a sweetheart and consistently was making sure we were okay. As far as the good was concerned I was not impressed. Everything was served in plastic as far as our plates, and forks. The menu is very small with not a lot of options so I got the special which was a grouper salad with fruit. It sounded great but when I got it, the salad was very small and the grouper was so salty that I could barely eat it. also, there was barely any salad along with it. I was not impressed at all and when I got the check I was even more discouraged because it cost $26. I hope that others can get something better but I will definitely not be going back nor would I recommend to any friends to go.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This restaurant is built up on stilts at the water’s edge at the mouth of Cape Fear River so you have a gorgeous view of the water with Bald Head Island on the horizon. The entrance is either up a flight of stairs or by elevator. Inside, the restaurant is a large and bright open space with lots of wood accents and a large open kitchen in the back. You are greeted by friendly, helpful staff. While deciding to order our lunch we were given hush puppies. They were delicious, cooked to perfection, not oily, not overly sweet and served piping hot. We were not interested in the wraps thinking that the seafood would be best. We ordered fried shrimp and oyster baskets with a glass of wine. Not a lot of wine to choose from but that is not why you would come to this place! Our shrimp and oyster baskets arrived with a pile of fries, a lovely, flakey sweet potato biscuit, and a small serving of cole slaw. Again everything was freshly prepared, piping hot and delicious. Service was excellent, friendly and prompt. Clearly, everyone is invested here in providing a great experience in a beautiful and charming location.

1  Thank Flyingpig666
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had two nieces visit recently both who have been working in the Restaurant business from the time they could reach the table to bus them. I figured we would take them to the Frying Pan more for the atmosphere than anything (so I thought) as it was my first visit there and did not know what to expect from the food side of things. Wow...what a great experience. The views were everything I knew they would be and the food was very good. The tall tale sign would be the feedback from my nieces. Comments made included, "this is so good but I can't take another bite" and "you know I’m somewhat critical but I swear this is by far some of the best service I've ever had". The wait staff was amazing. At one point I looked around just to take in the construction, layout etc. before I knew it a wait staff member was on me asking if there was anything I needed and she wasn't even working our table. That service was present throughout our entire dinner. It was like the whole staff was on a mission to make sure you had everything you needed. I felt like if I dropped my napkin staff would have caught it before it hit the floor. I would definitely recommend a visit here I'm sure you'll be glad you did!

1  Thank Hank T