“Dinner Experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frying Pan

Frying Pan
Ranked #10 of 81 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oak Island, North Carolina
“Dinner Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a group of 6 go for dinner and I gave them 3 stars because the menu is very limited and quite pricey for the quality food you receive. I had the fried soft shell crab ($17.99) and they were not cleaned properly so when you bit into the body they tasted like dirty salt water. They did not clean the fingers out of it. My husband had the large Cajun style shrimp ($17.99) and the batter was very salty and thick you couldn't taste the shrimp. There were enough fries in one basket for everyone at the table and not a lot of seafood. The crab cake was wonderful. The building, view (Southport, oak island, bald head, and more), and the staff were amazing. It was right after they opened so we will give them some time to work the kinks out and give it another try...

• Visited August 2012

LOS ANGELES, CA
“Spoiler alert: Let them spoil you, like they spoiled us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'd guess you would say we, the Cast and Crew of the film "Safe Haven," are extended visitors here in Southport. We certainly have been here awhile and have enjoyed everything the town has to offer. Last night, we had a wonderful party at the Frying Pan to celebrate the end of our project, and to thank our crew for all their hard work. The owners, Craig, Maria, and Paul put together the best party for us with very short notice. Their staff was amazingly attentive, and every single one of them did a stellar job. The spread and variety of the buffet was extremely impressive, and every item - from the best fried shrimp I have ever had, to crab cakes, to soft shell crab, plus special items made specifically for our Vegan/Vegetarians, never ran low. Each and every table had baskets of fresh hush puppies and sweet potato biscuits. (and I swear the tables were cleaned up by little magician's because I never saw any table that needed attention). I also must commend the owners and their staff for their professionalism and for respecting our privacy, both by not mentioning the event to anyone before hand, and also for how they treated both cast and crew during the party. Finally, let me just say how special the restaurant itself is, sitting high up on stilts looking over the intracoastal waterway, with high beamed ceilings, the Frying Pan structure is extraordinary. The Frying Pan: Special People, Special Cuisine, Special Restaurant

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank AKAJOJO
Wilmington, NC
“The View is Priceless”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

On your first visit to Frying Pan, you will be astounded by the view...really. This new restaurant (opened July 31st, 2012) is built on pilings and offers a wonderful waterfront ambience. Seating is 100% screened-in porch and is chiefly Calabash-style fried fish for the present. The owners have had Provisions next door for years and this is a step-up with regard to surroundings. However, like Provisions, prices are steep. $19.95 bought me a mixed seafood basket of three shrimp, three oysters, a small crabcake (tasty but over-cooked with too much breading) and a fried fish filet. This was served with a delicious sweet potato biscuit but some of the worst french fries EVER : greasy, soggy and tasteless.
Hushpuppies are stingy. Our party of nine was brought two baskets with seven hushpuppies each. C'mon. 1.5 hushpuppies apiece? We asked twice for more but they never arrived. The wait staff was extremely disorganized but I went on the second night, so I am willing to overlook that as they are still learning the ropes. I will go again in order to give a new endeavor some support, but let's do fresh potatoes, folks and put some hushpuppies in those baskets!

• 2 of 5 bubbles