“Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ports of Call

Ports of Call
Ranked #7 of 81 Restaurants in Southport
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Downtown at 116 N Howe St. Southport, NC 28461 Two blocks from the water.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

It was our first visit to the Southport area and we wanted a really nice dinner, and we found it. Ports of Call was fabulous. I think half of our group of 8 had the scallops and they were delicious. Also had a great wine list. I highly recommend the "Educated Guess" wine. Everything from the salads to the desserts were fresh. And speaking of dessert, save room for the Key Lime Pie! The best I've ever had. Ports of Call is an upscale restaurant, in a casual environment.

Holden Beach, North Carolina
“Absolutely the best lunch!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Wasn't quite sure about this bistro but gosh what a great surprise!!!! Excellent service and food. We would definitely eat here again! We recommend the Cuban sandwich, oysters, their daily special corn chowder with peach tomato bruschetta and even the cheeseburger were great.

Wilmington, NC
“A Real Disappointment Last Night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

What used to be one of my favorite places to eat in Southport let me down last night - primarily due to the service. Our waiter did not introduce himself, which is something most diners have come to expect. After all, the person serving you is an integral part of your dining experience. To begin with, I asked for the house white wines. The waiter asked what grape I liked. I replied a Savignon Blanc. He proceeded to describe a sauvignon blanc with notes of grapefruit blah blah blah. I agreed to that and what arrived tasted awfully close to a Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc that I enjoy but certainly not worth the $9.50 I was charged for the glass. Obviously not a house wine, which is what I requested. My dining companion had decided on the Mahi special and I told our server I was going to have tapas and would like to start with the mussels followed by the beef tenderloin. The server asked if I wanted a salad. I thanked him, but declined a salad and said I was just going to have tapas. I told him that I would decide as I went along whether I wanted two or three tapas which he understood. My dining companion's salad arrived, as should have my mussels, but instead I was made to wait and watch the salad being consumed without a bowl of mussels anywhere in sight. Ridiculous. When someone is going to have tapas, the first tapa should arrive with the first dishes on the table. That is what tapas are. Instead, when the salad was finally finished and my dining companion's Mahi arrived, my mussels were served. Obviously, no time for any other tapas since our server never returned to ask if I was ready to order the beef tenderloin we had discussed. I left hungry and there is absolutely no reason for that when I was very clear about wanting several tapas for dinner. When our checks arrived, we were both paying cash and my dining companion asked for change back from her forty dollars. What the server brought, from $26.00 was a ten dollar bill and four singles, obviously suggesting a ten dollar tip for a $26.00 dinner. Really? This is Southport, Nameless - not Manhattan, and your service was very lacking. We waited and waited for him to return so the ten could be broken and we never saw him. He spent 30 minutes charming other tables. Finally, we left leaving the four singles for him. That was more than enough for your lack of attention and the three dollars you got from me for the glass of non-house wine and a single bowl of mussels and leaving hungry was too much for your total lack of attention. Sorry, Jake and Ray (owners and managers). I know you care about a good dinner service, but it will be a long time before I return to Ports of Call. You need to replace Charm Boy with a server who is interested in your diners.

4 Thank CatalanYankeeGirl
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious International Cuisine (for when you're tired of Southern Food)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

The food was really delicious. An eclectic mix of ingredients and tastes from all over the world. They have an adorable little market as well with things you'd only find overseas and/or in specialty shops! There are so many great things on the menu, I highly recommend ordering a bunch of items and sharing!

Visited August 2013
“Vacation / family / good food ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We have now been here twice and the food is fabulous. Bar has a great wine selection - ask for Ben, he knows his stuff. Skip the long lines for mediocre food on the water and come here. Great food, great atmosphere. You will not be disappointed.