“Bad experience on first time visit.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ports of Call

Ports of Call
Ranked #7 of 81 Restaurants in Southport
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Downtown at 116 N Howe St. Southport, NC 28461 Two blocks from the water.
Nc
“Bad experience on first time visit.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Had reservations for 12 and hostess lied to us that we could not put another table together with the other one(s), so some of had to sit separately from the group. Food was delicious but portion size was small.

Visited October 2011
Raymund A, Owner at Ports of Call, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
As per you review, you noted that you visited us back in Oct 2011. I apologize if we were not able to seat your party all together. As you will note at that time, our dining room was composed of 2 round tables that seat 6, 6 tables that seat 2, and 4 tables that seat 4. You did not note on your review if you had a reservation or not. If you did have a reservation, we would have moved the tables together, provided that these tables were not already reserved for that seating. If your group was a walk in on a busy seating, we may not have enough tables close enough together to be joined. Our house policy is we try and accomodate everyone as long as we do not intrude on our customers' dining experience. Again, we apologize for this incident and we hope to see you again in the future.

Southport, North Carolina
“Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

This restaurant has brought new and different cuisine to Southport. The owners have introduced us to some really good different tastes. Always delicious. The only place that I've had couscous that was really good. An upscale but homey local restaurant. Helpful and friendly atmosphere.

Visited March 2012
Raymund A, Owner at Ports of Call, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
You might want to check our new Fall menu. We hope to see you again soon!
Abingdon VA
“Great place for a rainy (or not) night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Pouring rain and it was worth every drippy step! Leslie dried me off and made it all better. Great ambiance, service and food..including the raspberry Bellini martini. Very romantic but, thanks to the friendly attentive staff, I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable being solo.

Raymund A, Owner at Ports of Call, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for braving a Southern thunderstorm to visit us. We are glad you enjoyed your meal and cocktail as well. Also, we want to thank Leslie for taking good care of you. Hope you can visit us again soon.
Wilmington, NC
“A Jewel in Southport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Whether it's lunch, dinner or Sunday brunch, Ports of Call never disappoints. The owners Jake and Ray are genuinely glad you are there, the chefs care about your selected items and the wait staff do their best to make your meal truly enjoyable. Nothing is too much trouble.
Ports of Call has a varied tapas menu, if you feel like something less than dinner. That was last night for me, and I started off with a very nice Pinot Noir and selected two tapas for my meal : a wonderful Avocado-Ginger hummus served with warm pita triangles and the Ashe County Cheese Plate - a delicious assortment of several types of cheese, caper berries and fig jam. My dining companion really enjoyed her baby back ribs in Blueberry BBQ sauce which were served over garlic mashed potatoes with a corn accompaniment. A tempting dessert assortment was brought around on a tray, but we were both beyond satisfied and opted, instead, for black coffee which was fresh, full-bodied and delicious and served piping hot. Ports of Call near the waterfront in Southport - absolutely first class for any meal of your day.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Raymund A, Owner at Ports of Call, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your meal and visit to POC. Thank you very much for your support. The next time you visit, I suggest you leave some room for a Red velvet bonbon, which I personally make from scratch.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dont worth the trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I must say that I used to love this place. They had an AMAZING mushroom soup. My husband and I had been there about 5-6 times, alone or with friends. On early august my husband, mother and I drove almost an hour to have lunch, ohhhh boy bad idea!!! The menu had changed, the old chef was gone, and the sous-chef was not the chef, nonetheless we decided to stay.

We ordered a lobster dish (the most expensive dish in the menu), words cannot express, it was nothing more than a lobster dog, THAT IS plain lobster pieces with mayo inside of a HOT DOG BUN and 6 tiny pieces of melon on the side and THAT WAS IT!!!!!! THE WORST THING EVER!!! DONT WORTH THE DRIVE. I have eaten in many places, like a fine dining connoisseur and world traveler I was quite dissapointed, I will never set a foot in this place or recommended to anyone.

Not worth your money. On the way out talked to the owner who told us " I cannot do anything now, you already paid" "But its lobster Mam, lobster is expensive" Mediocre response, you can have the most expensive ingredients, but if you dont know how to prepare, its all a waste. We eat thru the eyes too, presentation wise, awful! I forgot the iphone in my car otherwise I would be attaching a pic!!! The owner and pseudo chef shoud go to Culinary school.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Regina8888
Raymund A, Owner at Ports of Call, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I would like to state our position regarding the customer's visit to the bistro. I sat them at their table and she asked me if we served the Mushroom soup. I informed her that we no longer serve this dish. This was our previous chef's dish and we stopped serving it when she left. I informed them that our previous sous-chef is now our head chef.

The customers proceeded to order their dishes. While having their meals, the waitstaff assigned to them indicated to me that even though they did not say anything to him, he could sense that they were not completely satisfied with their meals.

On their way out, they spoke to the other owner, Jake, and mentioned their disatisfaction with the meal. He informed them that there have not been any changes made to the Lobster roll. From the recipe to the kind of bread we use, the dish is the same as from the first day we started serving it. Jake never replied to them that " I cannot do anything now, you already paid" "But its lobster Mam, lobster is expensive".

We apologize if they were not satisfied with their meals. They can criticize our food if it is not to their liking. But I don't think its fair to personally attack the people making the effort to provide a good meal for the customers.