“Pizza was very good from the takeout; restaurant was underwhelming from the start”
Review of Bella Cucina

Bella Cucina
Ranked #33 of 86 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Host was lackluster, no warm fuzziness from him! Told me who my server would be, different from who actually took care of me (only two girls on). My server was friendly and efficient, took time to point out options within the menu. Nice that they offer reduced portion plates! Prices were high for what you get though. Pasta Carbonara was bland and greasy instead of smoky and creamy. Mozz and tomato salad had excellent cheese paired with paper thin, flavorless taro slices topped with a nice balsamic reduction. All in all, meh. Carrabbas does it better and I'm not a chain fan normally.

1  Thank EAWII

Reviewed January 27, 2013

To the left of the attached pizza place is the Ristorante. Very nice bar area with booths and tv's. Instead of being the only one in the larger formal dining room I was happy with a booth in the bar area where a couple was dining in another booth. The greeter and server couldn't be more welcoming, pleasant and helpful. My drink, soup and entree were brought in relatively short order. Very nice, good choice of restaurant.

The cream of mushroom and vegetable soup (I think that's what it was) was very good. The chicken parm was o.k., tasty, decidedly overbreaded and undercheesed, and definitely not a $19 dish. (The veal parm would have been $24!) But this is an exclusive, tourist / resort area, you say? Not in January, it isn't, and very few diners were inside.

So there is the paradox - wonderful service and facility, average food, above average prices. Will I go back? If I visit Oak Island / Southport again I might. For a pizza.

1  Thank bagelshmear
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went new years eve with 3 couples. when dinners came out my wife's was wrong. There was no urgency to bring out her dinner. As tive of us finished our diers my wife remained dinnerless. She cancelled the dinner and the waitress came back to favor us that they would not charge for the dinner that never came. A glass of wine and a coke that were ordered never came but showed up on the bill ! The previous time we were there , the waitress brought out the dinners while we were still having appetizers.
food is just o.k. and $19 for chicken cutlet or $24 for veal is heavy fo what you get and help needs to go to waiter school for basics. For a good diming experience... go elsewhere

2  Thank al S
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We eat here every year when we stay on nearby Oak Island for a week of vacation. It is the one place that we are sure to go. The Osso Bucco is delightful but I have dreams about their giant roasted garlic with bread that they bring out when you arrive. I could make a meal on that with a glass of wine and perhaps an appetizer. That's how we can go there and spend less. I wouldn't recommend wearing typical "beach attire" (i.e.: flip flops, shorts and a tank top). I don't think they would turn you away, but you may feel a tad underdressed. Men usually wear something like a pair of khakis and a golf shirt, if that helps.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very close to the hotel. Did not have to drive to the restaurant.
In fact you could walk to the restaurant.