“Amazing fresh seafood”

Ranked #2 of 82 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A longtime Southport institution, one of the top dining spots in town. Low Country-leaning menu. Good wine list
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The food and service are excellent. This is the best seafood I have ever eaten. The tuna appetizer was fresh and delicious. The mixed grill offers a wonderful variety for those who cannot decide what entree to choose! Be sure to order the fried green tomatoes; they are really good.

1  Thank Picky0656
There are newer reviews for Mr. P's Bistro

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Great appetizers, salads, wine, entrees and sandwiches. Our whole family loved it including our kids 14 and 12. Service was terrific too. Plan a night out here.

1  Thank rsparmiter
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I know it can be difficult to run a small business and make it pay and that bad reviews are the bane of small business owners, but, needless to say, I was not impressed with Mr. P's and feel somewhat compelled to write a less-than-positive review in the hopes that the issues addressed can be improved upon because the restaurant does show some promise and potential of being a top-notch place.
Upon entering, you must pass through 2 doors set about 7-8' apart. It was in this small vestibule that I thought my keen nose first detected the unpleasant smell of Country-Scented-Insectiside-Spray. If this was in fact what it was, I applaud Mr. P for endeavoring to mitigate the amount of natural protein that might inadvertently crawl its way into your meal, but it is a bit disconcerting to smell the 'Country' in a restaurant. Recklesssly, I pushed on.
What should I smell next? Capers in a wine sauce? A delicate soup of bird's beak? Broasted owl with mole sauce? (I was peckish for something a bit different, alright?) So, what was it that I smelled next in the restaurant--no, not Mr. P himself--but actual pee. It was of such a low key pungency that it might have been confused for their clam chowder. But, it was there in the air serving as a portent of things to come.
Returning to the theme of clam-chowder, we ordered that and the gumbo. I've never had anything quite like them. You know how when you eat at your mother-in-laws house and she is so proud of her Swedish-style-sweet-and-sour-coconut-BBQ-meatballs she made in the crockpot overnight from the recipe she found and improvised on from the Paula Dean Home Cookin Cookbook' and you just don't have the heart to tell her you don't want the recipe because she has been ever so kind to you since you got there and she is trying so hard to please you? Well, that's kind of how we felt. The service was so good and the waitress so nice that we felt bad bringing the subject up that we didn't like the food.
There is so much more I could say, but I hesitate to add more for fear of running the risk of sounding harsh or hard-to-please. Perhaps the best thing you can do is to go yourself, try it out, and hopefully prove me wrong.

4  Thank Epunthesis
Reviewed July 11, 2012

great food, great service. must hv a reservation and make it for early because the night we were there they ran out of several popular dishes - our reservation was for 830.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stopped into Mr. P's by chance as most everything else was packed. We weren't really up for a fine dining experience, but we were glad we stumbled in. Two people ordered the chicken special and described it as delicious. I had the vegetable lasagne and loved it. The pasta was light and fresh and the combination of veggies - great. Overall, pleasant experience and quite pleasing food.