“Nice facility. Courteous staff. They only had a few rooms...”

Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Southport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Belleville
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham Southport from 12MAR-10APR 2014. Originally, I was to stay at another hotel in Southport, but I much more prefer the Wingate (I have posted a separate review for the other hotel).

My job requires me to travel frequently and this most recent trip was my 8th or 9th time staying at the Wingate in over the past 3 years. During this time, I’ve seen many people check-in at other Southport hotels only to end up much happier at the Wingate.

Due to unavailability of rooms at the Wingate, I was not able to start my trip there. Thankfully, the owner is a gem. I wrote her an email noting that I much more prefer her hotel and hoping she could find a way to work my team into some rooms. She immediately called me with a plan based on scheduled departures and a few days later I was back in my Southport home away from home.

There are 5 things I personally enjoy about staying at the Wingate Southport:
1. The staff is always friendly, helpful and committed to customer service.
2. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable and smell new.
3. I can hook my IPAD to the TV using an HDMI cable and watch NETFLIX (a lot of places block this feature).
4. Its located away from heavy traffic and not far from great Southport restaurants.
5. The hotel is very peaceful all the time, even when every room is full.

General details:
The hotel provides a standard breakfast with juice, milk, waffles, eggs bacon or sausage and waffles. I’m not big on breakfast, so this works for me.

The gym has a treadmill, and elliptical and a combo cable workout machine. I was able to accomplish a very satisfactory workout. The only thing I might add to this room is some rubber-padded dumbbells from 1 lb to 50 lbs and a roman hyper-extension bench.

I’ve used the swimming pool to swim laps in the summer. I was usually able to catch it during times when there were no other swimmers.

Having seen multiple people move from their original hotel to the Wingate and having stayed at another hotel in Southport that has 4 points on Trip Advisor, I find this hotel to be superior. Given the choice, I always pick this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. I stay on the top floor mostly just so I don't have above neighbors.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WingateSouthpor... N, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Southport, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for being a loyal guest and for you preferring our hotel over the others located in the area. We do want all of our guest to feel like this their home away from home. The next time you are in Southport please call the hotel or email us like you did for this trip and we will make accomondations for you. Hope to see you again soon.

With Regards,
Wingate by Wyndahm
Southport NC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Comfort Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Southport? Share your experiences!