1,078 results
All reviewsfront deskroom was cleanwafflesstaff was friendlyplenty of parkingking bedbusiness tripvery nice hotelthe breakfast areacontinental breakfastbald head islandolgacrystalwalgreensncoakaccommodations
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I would definately recommend this hotel to any of my friends. When you walk into the lobby the smell is wonderful and area is very attractive. All the staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was very nice with lots of ammenities. Breakfast was everything you could have wanted from hot selections to cold. It was so nice of the general manager to evern come around at breakfast to see if we were comfortable and if we needed anything. Never had anyone ask me that at other hotels. We loved our experience in Southport this weekend and our stay at the Wingate. Staff really concerned about your needs. Will come back whenever we are in Southport. Thank you
Charlotte, NC

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have made the Wingate (Southport) our annual Labor Day vacation spot! It was extra special this year because our sweet 9 month old came along with us for the first time! She loved it! Friendly staff, super clean rooms, great service!!! Stay and you won't regret it!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was in Southport to attend my cousin's wedding at St. James Plantation and stayed at The Wingate. My experience in one short word - AWESOME! The hotel has a great energy and vibe and everything was immaculate from room to hall to elevator. I enjoyed everything they offered: Fresh coffee brewed all day long, a clean workout room and outdoor pool, and an attentive and welcoming staff. Baiju, the hotel manager, was always visible and made certain all aspects of my stay were beyond expectation. Being an extremely fussy traveler from NJ, they have definitely earned the right to my repeat business in the future.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Overwhelmed by the strong smell of stale cigarette smoke when we initially opened the door to our room in this nonsmoking hotel, we immediately requested another room. Our second room smelled musty and had an underlying faint smell of stale smoke as well. Given this was the second assigned room, we assumed that the hotel must have converted from a smoking to a nonsmoking hotel and that the smell of smoke was going to be a problem no matter where we moved. That night, after taking a shower, the bathroom floor was covered in water. We called the manager on duty who came up with a pile of towels to mop up the mess and offered to move us to yet another room. Given we had already showered and settled in we opted to stay in the room with the caveat that they bring extra towels so we could mop up any water from the leak. The next day, after putting the towels down under the sink, water still covered the bathroom floor after using the sink and shower. It was clear it was leaking up through the grout in the middle of the floor and spreading outward from there. We had a meeting scheduled so I mopped up the floor and started drying my hair whereupon the dryer stopped working. With time ticking away, I called the manager, asked her to bring me another dryer and told her I had determined where the leak was coming from. She sent housekeeping to bring another dryer. Before we left, she made her way up to our room where I showed her where the leak was whereupon she told me that we would have to move "because it's too dangerous." We had to move when we returned from our dinner meeting. When she assigned us our next room she said, "Let's give you a good room now." Why didn't the staff do that in the first place when we checked in?! We were supposed to stay for 3 nights but shortened our stay to two. The way the manager "resolved" this was by offering us a 20% discount on our next stay. Don't think that will ever happen.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank TheLTS
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Very nice room, clean, with comfortable bed. Plenty of choices for breakfast with hot and cold items. Close to Southport, but unfortunately just a little too far to be considered walking distance. I would have liked a little more water pressure in the shower and there was no fan in the bathroom, but neither of these was enough to spoil my enjoyable stay. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend the Wingate to anyone looking for a hotel in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple