“Upscale for the price - very nice”

Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Raleigh, NC
“Upscale for the price - very nice”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We spent one night to attend a seaside wedding by the shore only 3 miles away. The location is commercial, but not a problem as it is not a resort hotel. Nice exterior, sharp lobby, and nicely appointed room that is larger than normal, with free wi-fi, nice desk, stuffed chair with ottoman, large wide screen TV and a king bed. Breakfast had sausage & eggs, waffles, cereals, muffins juice, fruit, milk, yogurt etc.
Well designed and laid out rooms.
One of the nicer hotels we have stayed in for one or two night.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the back of a new strip mall on a corner lot , so drive slow so you can spot it befo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Thomasville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Very lovely hotel. It was decorated very tastefully. The bed was comfy and clean. It wasn't overly crowded. It's located in a commercial area, felt like we were in a parking lot. It was very convenient to Oak Island, which was my goal. The bar down the way was not an issue for me. I never heard anybody and I was there on a Fri. and Sat. night. I thought breakfast was actually pretty good and I'm used to cooking all of my own food. You can make your own fresh waffles, bagels, toast, fruit, juice, eggs, sausage and bacon and I thought it was great. Much better than complimentary breakfasts I have had in the recent past. I would stay here again. I got a great rate with priceline.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Poca, WV
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Oak Island does not allow new hotels to be built on the beach so this hotel is about 3-5 miles inland, but that also makes it convenient to restaurants and shopping. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and they have an excellent hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is a nice hotel but it is really hard to see from the main road as the signs are not that good. I noticed the sign for the hotel right as we passed the entrance. The hotel is in a small shopping area parking lot behind a pharmacy. It was safe, clean, and worked just fine for a hotel at the beach. The location is close to Oak Island, Southport, and close driving distance to Leland where I have family. I would not recommend making a left turn from the "main" entrance as it is really difficult, you can drive through the shopping center parking lot and get to a road where there is a stoplight intersection which is much safer. The bar in the shopping center next to the hotel can get a little rowdy at night, the patrons play games such as bean bag toss and darts outside. Drunk people + games are not a good combination usually, when walking by with my 2 year old past the store fronts we were almost knocked over by two guys having a fight and we were nowhere near the bar. The staff seemed to not really care about much of anything one way or another and the response to my asking questions was usually pointing or a shrug which was not helpful. The continental breakfast was plain gross...the fruit was rotten, the eggs powdered, and the milk seemed to be curdled. I grabbed a box of cereal and noticed the "Best By" date stamp was two-years old so I would not eat there. The staff working in the kitchen area would pick things up from the floor or out of the trash and then touch the food so I lost my appetite rather quickly. The pool is small but seemed to be clean. They are not really tolerant of children, my toddler was having a good time (quietly I might add) by peeking around the corner in the lobby at people when they passed by. My son thought this was great fun and would giggle when the people walking by smiled at him. I was really surprised when a hotel staff member told me that my son would have to leave for disturbing other guests...if he were kicking/screaming or throwing a royal fit then I totally understand that but a few giggles should not disturb anyone else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank plail30
NC
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed here on Labor Day weekend and arrived on Saturday afternoon. Check in was easy - there was no line. The woman at the front desk was pleasant. When we got to the room we immediately noticed that it was not cool and there were no controls on the a/c unit. After checking with the front desk, we found out that the thermostat was on the wall. Once we figured this out we were able to control the temp in the room as we needed. There was kind of a strange smell at first but not musty, more like a recent paint job.
The room itself was nice and clean. I check sheets, pillows, etc before anybody sits/sleeps on anything and it passed the test. We are a TALL family of 4 so the two queen beds were kind of small for us but that would be anywhere we go. Overall, the beds and pillows were comfy.
Breakfast was great. Nice variety, make your own waffles, good coffee, cereals and milk for the kids. Clean dining rooms, well stocked and a tv so you can watch the news and weather before you head out for the day.
The pool area is small with a rectangular shaped pool and a jacuzzi next to it. My kids were in the pool for no more than 5 minutes when a manager came out to tell us that the pool was closed. Apparently, they had a loose fence panel (which was tied down to keep it upright) which nobody even noticed (since it was upright) which they were concerned about. It was not windy so I didn't understand what the big deal was. It was 8 pm and we had planned on coming back to the hotel early that first night, so that the kids could go in the pool. Their sign indicated that the pool closed at 10pm. THis put a real damper on the evening since we had nothing else scheduled to do that night. If we knew that they were closing the pool we would have stayed out longer.
The next day we tried the jacuzzi and it had the strongest jets that I had ever experienced. WOW! The water was not that hot but the massage was a good one!
The hotel is located in what looks like a once thriving shopping area. There didn't seem to be anything open except a bar within walking distance.
The beaches were about a 10 minute drive away. Lots of choices for restaurants (try Bella Cucina!!) and there is a small movie theatre in town. If you go South on Howe street it takes you down to a waterfront area where you can sit on a 2-3 person bench swing and watch the boats sail by. We saw schools of fish swimming and jumping. You can walk around the town and see some of the BIGGEST oak trees ever. On the corner of Nash and Rhett Street there is the Old Brunswick Jail which was built in 1904 and used until 1971. They even have a book with the names of all the inmates that have been there and what their crimes were. This was a great little tourist spot and it was free!
Overall, Southport was a great place for a weekend trip for us.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Service = terrible
Jacuzzi = broken
Room = Smelt like old wet socks
Breakfast = Sub-Par
Staff = Unprofessional (Used profanity in hallways)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank joe R
Helena, Montana
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Everything about our stay there was very nice. The A/C thermostat quit working and the mgmt.fixed it right away. We stayed an extra night. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Comfort Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Southport? Share your experiences!