“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I was in town to attend a friend's wedding. We checked into the hotel on Friday, planned and to check out the following day. The wedding was at 3 pm on Saturday. I called the front desk and asked if we could remain in the room until 2 pm. Checkout was at 11 am. But the hotel directory located in the room mentioned that guests could call the front desk and request to extend the stay and avoid a charge. I was told that we had to pay an additional $50.00 to remain in the room for 3 hours. I thought this was unreasonable. But Olga Vadgama from the hotel staff said this was the policy because the cleaning crew left at 12 pm and no one could clean the room so the room would not be available to be used for another guest. I was very unhappy with this response. There was no manager on duty on assist. Olga refused to call the manager (family relation: Baiju Vadgama) Therefore I was forced to pay an additional $50.00 to stay in the foom for 3 hours. I will not be staying at Wingate hotels in the future due to the poor customer service I experienced.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
dancepink09, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Southport, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
This situation was address and resolved as soon as the situation was brought to the attention of our General Manager, so we are a bit surprised to see this review. We have a strong commitment to customer satisfaction and will do our very best to insure an unforgetable experience at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed March 10, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel while repairs were being done at our home. The hotel staff is very attentive, courteous and friendly. The rooms are a good size and nicely appointed. The housekeeping staff does a great job in maintaining a neat and clean facility. A good, hearty and complimentary breakfast is available each day. Southport is a quaint city to visit and the Wingate is a special place to unwind.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I have stayed in many hotels over the world - some luxurious- some catering to business only.. This hotel was the cleanest and friendliest i have ever been to. For the price - you can;t beat it. The stafff- from the manager to the desk clerk -is exceptionally accomadating to not only myself but to all members of our party.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The Wingate by Wyndham in Southport is our favorite place to stay. We come often on business and look forward to walking in to a warm greeting by the hotel's friendly staff. We have been so impressed with the genuine care and concern for our comfort during our stay from Bijou, the owner and Carrie, the general manager. They go out of their way to make our stay like a home away from home. The whole staff do an awesome job making this quality hotel one of the best we've stayed in. The rooms are relaxing, very nicely decorated, always very clean, and the beds are very comfortable. The continental breakfast has very nice choices that include hot items. The quaint town has some good restaurants, including Fishy Fishy, Cafe, and excellently cooked seafood at Pelican Seafood. The beaches, bay and historical things to see and do in Southport, make it a great place to visit any time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed January 21, 2011

My son and I stayed at the Wingate last weekend and truly enjoyed it! Free breakfast, free business center with wireless, very clean and reasonably priced room. Very close to the beach ~ 10 minute drive over the bridge. Nicely decorated and furnished rooms.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Town - Charming

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Olivehurst, California
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I have visited the Wingate several times, now. Each time I walked into the hotel, I was welcomed with the comforts of home! Great breakfast, soft pillows, flat screen T.V., and a comfortable bed awaited me each time. More importantly, the General Manager was very warm and hospitable. She goes out of her way to ensure every guest is well cared for. In addition, this establishment is military friendly. It is clean and close to the local restaurants. I am so grateful for the extra efforts provided to me and my colleagues during my stay. It makes each return seem like a welcome home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Comfort Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Southport? Share your experiences!