“Slowest sushi restaurant we have ever been to and fish had next to no flavor”
Review of Makoto

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Makoto
Ranked #60 of 111 Restaurants in Southern Pines
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 5, 2017

As of right now I am going with 2 stars because we have been here for an hour and we've gotten miso soup (which was good) our goyza (also good) and hubby had a ginger salad (dressing was nice) but size of salad was so small. It even took a while just for drinks and we asked for water, 2 green teas and a coke. Still waiting on sushi an hour later! And we wanted the sushi nachos as an app but our waitress told us she can't promise that we will get them as an app because they are so far behind in sushi orders. How does this place stay in business?!? The sushi rolls were OK but just OK. The fish (my tuna) had NO flavor. Over all this place is not worth it!

What a timely disaster!! We arrived at 7:10 and we were finally served at 8:15!! It's sushi!!! No cooking required!! The waitress told us they were behind but an hour for 6 rolls is a joke. We won't be back!!

Reviewed January 24, 2017

I don't understand why more people don't write glowing reviews of this place. We have been going since it opened have had a consistantly excellent meal each time. Run by a woman from Tokyo and her culinary -school graduate daughter the food combines home-style Japanese cuisine with cutting edge attention to freshness and taste. The tempura is light as a feather, the sushi rolls have distinctive flavors and subtle crunch, the gyoza are delicate and really tasty. There's a reason why US Open winner Martin Kaymer ate every meal here when he won at Pinehurst. If you know good food from the mush served at chains, this is your place.

2  Thank Julie W
Reviewed November 9, 2016

We go here as often as we can afford to eat sushi! Try the sushi chips, the Crispy Rice Roll, and the Makoto roll. Hands down freshest and best combinations you can find. Skip the Red Bowl and eat local - it's better!

1  Thank Deborah D
Reviewed June 26, 2016

Coming from a family who is well traveled and one that loves both seafood and Asian food, I was excited to find this Japanese restaurant. My excitement quickly turned to disappointment when the meal rolled out. Yes, the California roll was freshly made and displayed well,however it was small.. child size, and pricey. If you are going for portion size, it's definitely a disappointment. If you love sushi, depending on your favorite, The Fresh Market, trumps this place in size and price, and they'll make you a fresh sushi as you stand there, too. As an avid seafood consumer who has lived in Hawaii and Rhode Island, I have eaten a variety of it over my lifetime. When my first bite into the shrimp tempura plate had a weird after taste, I had another family member take a nip at it. They, too felt it was not right so I did not touch the rest. Needless to say, I reported it discreetly to the server. She apologized and said she would report it to the manager. The next thing that happened was appalling! An Asian woman comes out from the back holding a plate of raw shrimp, putting it up to my face saying, "this is the shrimp I use...see no smell" and proceed to take my uneaten plate of shrimp for inspection back to the kitchen. She did this without apologizing or engaging me otherwise. This was done in front of the rest of the customers... some of who I know. They,too, thought it was rude and bizarre. Talking about poor customer relations! The server continued to apologize and seemed embarrassed. It was a costly mistake to try this restaurant as most meals averaged around the $15 or more price range. I don't mind paying for a good meal and great customer service, but this restaurant is not worth the time or money spent! It's a definitely "Do Not Return or Refer" in our book of local restaurants. It's not a kid friendly restaurant either if you've got finicky eaters as the menu is limited and priced for an adult outing.

Reviewed April 17, 2016 via mobile

Great food in a very comfortable environment. Our favorite sushi place in the area. A little hard to find, but well worth the effort.

Been to Makoto? Share your experiences!