“Best sushi in The Pines”
Review of Makoto

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Makoto
Ranked #66 of 106 Restaurants in Southern Pines
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I lived in Las Vegas before moving here and we were very disappointed with the sushi selection. We were very spoiled with over the top good food there. Although Susa Sushi is very good, it didn't meet our high standards. The sushi and entrees met our sushi needs. Everything is very fresh and well made. The only reason they get 4 stars is because they are extremely slow with sometimes poor service. If you don't mind a two hour dinner, I highly recommend the food!

1  Thank Shaniqua S
There are newer reviews for Makoto

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was so please to hear that Makoto was opening after watching the sign go up knowing that they were coming.

Southern Pines needs Sushi. Southern Pines needs GREAT sushi. Makoto nailed it!!!!!

It's a very small and intimate establishment, perhaps eight tables in all, plus seating at the bar. It’s an ideal location for a romantic dinner or a comfortable meal with close friends and family.

The first thing that hooked me was whomever created the Sake list, did it properly and included some Nigori (unfiltered Sake) which to me will emphasis the true flavors of Sake as well as the sushi. Well Done!

We started at the bar and the Sushi Chef was friendly and knowledgeable. She guided us through several appetizers and then onto multiple rolls, all with incredible presentation and freshness.

It’s a family run business with the daughter behind the sushi bar and mother and father around the restaurant.

Overall it was a perfect experience and one I look forward to repeating again.

1  Thank CaptainMHB
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The restaurant serves Japanese Cuisine - the use of that descriptive word Cuisine is your first clue to what you experience in dining. Makoto is a very small, intimate establishment, with a simple, elegant decor, soft Asian music in the background. All tables were full. We sat at the sushi bar, ordered dinner and a pot of tea. The food was slow in being served but well worth the wait. Miso soup - delicate and flavorful, the Sampler: Yaritori with tender chicken on skewers drizzled with a sauce that made you yearn for another. I had Gyoza, pan fried pork dumplings that were light and tasty. My husband had Shogayaki, thin sliced pork in an understated ginger sauce. Nothing was overpowering. A long awaited and welcome addition to the area. It is definitely geared towards adult clientele.

1  Thank Karen B