“Great Date Night”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: South Page St
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Looking at other reviews it seems like people either love or hate Rue 32. Count us in the love category. My wife and I were looking for something a little different for date night. We were skeptical based on some of the negative reviews but a friend gave us verbal thumbs up on Rue 32 so we went for it. The restaurant itself is small but very tasteful and the service was wonderful. There is a decent selection of wines and craft beers and the menu has an outstanding selection of international cuisine. Rue's concept is more like a Tapas restaurant/bar than a regular entrée/dinner place. Base on the negative reviews I read, I think some of the other customers just didn't understand that concept. You can get more expensive entrée sized portions; the idea is that you order several small plates (Tapas) to share. We ordered Baked Brie, Wild Mushroom Gnocchi, Curry Shrimp, and Moroccan Chicken, and then finished it off with a Trio of flavored Crème Brule. Prices were $7-9 per plate, all were delicious but the Gnocchi was our absolute favorite. We loved the entire experience and we got the opportunity to try a number of dishes without breaking the bank. The entire meal including dessert and a couple adult beverages was $66 before tip - which is about $20 less than we normally spend at a good steak house. We left happy and satisfied, we’ll definitely go back.

1  Thank Allan G
There are newer reviews for Rue ThirtyTwo

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We moved back to So. Pines from DC in October, and we've been to this tapas restaurant 3 times already. Great drink menu and wine list, great ambience, great food! We have ordered different items each time (4-5 tapas each visit) and haven't been disappointed yet. Service is wonderful, and the servers have great recommendations for new diners. We'll be back again, likely soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I've been wanting to try this restaurant since I moved here. I went during the lunch service, but the dishes I wanted to try were on the dinner menu. My waitress was really nice and very helpful with my wine selection. I ordered the cubano locos sandwich and the regular seared scallops & figs, expecting relatively small portions, as this was a tapas restaurant. When I got my food, wow, I would have gotten by with just the sandwich! The chef had also kind of screwed up my scallops and fig order, so he gave me an extra scallop, which I appreciated, and definitely better than doing nothing. Both dishes were very tasty, I LOVED the fried bread for the sandwich, it kind of melts in your mouth. I was only disappointed in the creme brulee, a very tiny serving, which was consistent with a tapas restaurant, but given the generous portions for my meal, I thought the portion size of the dessert would also be generous. Also, the crust was overly burnt with a propane taste, and that's what kept me from giving this restaurant a 5.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Had mahi mahi that was so spicy/hot, I could no longer taste the wine. Prices are high. Service is good, but they need to focus on improving the quality of the food that is served. Does no good to have attentive service (which they do) and multiple dishes that are not well prepared. Fewer offerings and perhaps a more accomplished chef? Simpler foods that the present chef can do well? Needs improvement!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The only word to describe our evening is excellent. We had Warm Bacon Salad an it was so good with the perfect amount of everything in it. The Ribeye was very good as were the veggies they were served with. We ended with a slice of chocolate cheesecake that was marvelous. We are already planning our return, yes it was that good. Service was excellent!!!