“Fair to middling at Mid Pines”

Mid Pines Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: First opened for play in the Spring of 1921, this Donald Ross-traditional course features small, undulating greens, narrow fairways and a variety of holes to test the skill of any golfer.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Best of all, this is a trip back in time! This charming hotel and attention to your golf and housing needs tries hard but falls short in personal comfort and relaxation, particularly if you're staying on the third floor and need to get to your room. Built in the "Roaring Twenties" it makes you realize how fortunate you are to have missed the "golden era". As far as the golf course is concerned, it is not quite ready to play. If the redesign and replanting of the greens was trying to duplicate Perry Maxwell's pitch and roll, at best, it is a work in progress. Forget Donald Ross's approval! The young greens are much too firm to be taken seriously and on several of the pin placements, you had to land the ball, not in a ten foot radius, but in an exact spot to be in reasonable birdie range. The saving grace for Mid Pines is the ambiance of this pure golfing community as well as the interesting pictures and local history of this magic game. The fellows at the bag drop, the golf shop and the starter, who was from Pennsylvania, all were very nice and helped to save the day!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Finally played Mid-Pines on Sunday, first time since new fairways and green installed. The fairways and greens are perfect!. I was a little concerned about both since we've had so much rain recently, but I guess they timed the install just right because the course was perfect. They seemed to have fixed most if not all of their drainage problems. The greens were really firm and weren't able to make a mark on them, but they held really well. This has always been a hidden jewel in the Pinehurst area to me, I don't think it will stay hidden or in the shadow of it's big sister Pine Needles for very long! Really Really fun day!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I WILL START WITH THE CONS:
The golf course was great. The rooms were actually pretty bad. Small room where I was tripping all over my things. In the bathroom you must shuffle sideways like heading to the toilet at a movie theater because it is so small. A pedestal sink so your tooth brush and such has to sit on the floor next to the toilet. No fridges in rooms, you have special order one. When mine came it did not work. My A/C went out half way through my stay so I had to open windows. There were no do not disturb signs so i had to make my own that said mo room service. After I got in from a round i could tell someone had been in my room and my narcotic sleeping medicine was missing. Huge bags were left outside my room with tons of wasted towels since I asked for no room service. the weirdest thing is that they still apparently came in as stiff was moved and medication was gone. Even though i had to get up for tee times in the morning to do my job and play golf to win money for a living, I got at least 3 wake up calls a night between the hours of 2AM and 3:30AM which led to me having to stay an extra night just so i could get enough sleep to make the drive home. Also,
Lead paint is peeling from everything including the moldy stain on my ceiling.

OK HERE ARE THE PROS:
One of the only true Donald Ross layouts still around especially after they renovated back to the 1921 condition. I loved playing the course in my practice rounds and the tournament. The pro shop staff was great. The pub downstairs had a great ribeye and the bartender was awesome. Ask for Jason!! The staff at the front desk were great as well as all golf facilities.

The Inn really needs updating and better accommodations. The golf course made up for the bad stay so I gave it 3 stars. If there had been no course it would be a zero. Thanks for the great golf memories and hosting a great tournament, but if I return I would definitely recommend staying at the other inn at Pine Needles.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This may be the little sister to Pine Needles but the course was fantastic and it's not even back to 100% yet. I asked and they had just reopened the course a few weeks prior to my arrival. The greens were top dressed but it didn't matter. They rolled true and were lightning fast. Fairways have come in nicely. Mid Pines was a treat to play even in the oppressive heat. If you love classic Donald Ross layouts, you'll absolutely love this one.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of the few places in Southern Pines that has both American and Thai food! Love the lunch specials

1  Thank Mary Ellen B