“Perfect for golfers”

Pine Needles Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: A Donald Ross masterpiece, this 18-hole championship course winds through stately long leaf pine trees presenting a challenging yet enjoyable game for golfers of all levels and playing skills.
North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Perfect for golfers”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Rooms are designed for comfort and golf. Our room had a bar area with a sink, refrigerator, and microwave. Just what you need to be able to make a sandwich or have a bowl of cereal which of course allows you to splurge on dinner. Nice balconies overlook the course. We had dinner in the bar one night and enjoyed the breakfast buffet one morning. Both meals were excellent and reasonably priced.

Visited December 2012

Robbinsville, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Donald Ross golf course”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is a classic golf course. I can see why the Women's US Open was played there. I could play this golf course the entire tiem I visited the area. Don't miss this one when you are in the area.

Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Authentic Carolina golf”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The host course for three past U.S. Women's Opens is one of the true gems of the Carolina Sandhills. This is a golf resort comfortable in its own skin, with a quirky patchwork of villas and condos that are stuck in a time warp -- in the best sense of the phrase.

Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Skip Pinehurst #2 and play here 3 times”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I love everything about this place. This is a classic Donald Ross design as it should be. It's all about the golf. Generous driving areas lead to hump-backed greens. We played in late September and the course was in perfect shape. Tee to green the course is in fantasic shape. The greens were some of the best I have played in some time, firm and true. Remember to get your puts and chips to the cup because they just may come back to you if you don't!

Another thing I love about this place is that way the course seems to meander through the woods. While some of the other Ross courses seem to march back and forth, this one seldom has parallel fairways. The are some very interesting holes with some elevation change. The par 3's are all photo-worthy.

I also love the quirkiness of Pine Needles. The design of the lodge is dated, but that is it's charm. Remember, it's all about the golf. Another funny quirk, there is a halfway house between 8 and 9, not between 9 and 10. I was remarking to my playihg partner that it felt like 1973 at the course, which I consider a good thing. Five minutes later, I saw the phone booth in the lobby. Imagine paying cash to use someone else's phone!

The staff is as nice as they can be. Anything to please their guests. No lectures from starters, no marshal following you around trying to speed up play.

Personally, I think Pine Needles has the best 19th hole in the business. The bar is dark but for the wall of windows looking out over the course. The seating area is very manly with leather chairs and a fireplace. The bar is a big horseshoe affair at table height to offer better views out onto the course. The lady behind the bar is as friendly as she can be. The food is really good. I had the hot Italian sausage sandwich at it was great washed down by a cold Yuengling (or two).

For my money, I would skip Pinehurst #2 and play here 3 times. If I had one day, I would play 36 here, enjoy the 19th hole and still have money left.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Paul P
Yadkinville, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Our Second Home”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

It's like home......except for cooking, cleaning, and paying taxes and upkeep! We don't need a second home when we have a place like Pine Needles to visit!

Visited August 2012