“A fun time with friends and golf instruction”

Pine Needles Resort and Country Club
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Southern Pines
Holmdel, New Jersey
“A fun time with friends and golf instruction”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home from a week of Golfari and we had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Ross Lodge which had four bedrooms with a large common area where we had much laughter. Our rooms overlooked the instruction area and the first fairway. They were very clean and comfortable.

Our instruction was excellent, the teachers are top notch.

The food was good, especially the fried chicken. I would not call it fine dining but you do not go hungry; it is more comfort food.

I plan to return with my husband and friends.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jlramsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have been lucky enough to visit the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area of North Carolina twice in the past 30 days and have split my time between the Pinehurst Resort and Pine Needles/Mid Pines. The staff, the food, the value, and the golf
found at Pine Needles and Mid Pines far surpasses anything you will find five miles to the West. The newly renovated Mid Pines is both challenging and fun and the golf at Pine Needles is pure Donald Ross. If you are visiting the area do not let the marketing machine that is the Pinehurst Resort lure you in, resist the temptation and instead head over to Pine Needles and Mid Pines, you'll be happy you did! Pinehurst is great and you will pay for it, but Pine Needles and Mid Pines feels like home.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank 3boys2girlfam
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I just returned from my second annual trip to Pine Needles Resort in Southern Pines, NC. Although I went for the excellent golf school, directed and starring former LPGA player, Donna Andrews, I also thoroughly enjoyed the Resort. It's very true that it is rustic and a bit quirky, but the setting is beautiful and serene. This time we stayed in the Putter Lodge and had a room on the third floor. We thought the view and accomdations were worth it, but there aren't any elevators. Bellmen are available, but you have to ask. Our room had two queens with a fridge and table for 4 on the first level AND a loft with two twins (which are private from each other) and a second full bath. From our balcony, we could see at least two fairways and the practice facility. The pine trees are as plentiful as they are beautiful. Dogwoods and azaleas are also present. The food is not fine dining, but it's quite good. The service staff is universally friendly and willing. The golf course is terrific -- but look out for the greens which are very challenging. Be aware that the presence of a golf academy can lead to slower play in the afternoons. In my view, it's a great value -- not luxurious, but plenty comfortable and relatively affordable.

Room Tip: The Putter Lodge is right next to the Reception/Bar/Dining Room/ Pro Shop. We had #148.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2013

two stories for this golf resort.

The room and meal plan requires some flexibility from the guest. We have recently returned from a 5 nignt golf with meals plan. Its our 2nd stay at the resort. The rooms are rustic , clean, and comfortable. But you will encounter some quirks, There is a mini frig. but no ice machine near the lodge we stayed at. upon request we were given a dag of ice to put in the frig. after a day it was a solid block that had to be chipped . The coffee maker was located in a place that was hard to pour water into the brewer. The service staff is very friendly and they try to please,but something is wrong with the service. For example at the breakfast buffet which is very good the egg , and carving station guy would go missing. Many things go wrong but the charm of the staff makes up for the inconvience. Dinner was ok not great,in fact we went to another place on two nights for dinner even though our meals were included.

If you love old classic golf courses this is the place. We love both courses but this trip was not as much fun as the other times we played there. Play was slow 5 to 5:30 hour rounds. Guests of the resort seemed to have no better tee times than day players. I am also irked that a small group of friends paid $150 a day less than I paid for the same package. They played a week before me.

I would play the courses again but I will not book the resort package. You need to be flexible and laugh off the uneven service and quirks.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pratice range
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe B
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed there for a golf academy school. Normally I don't care much about how the accommodations are, but given the competition in the surrounding area (namely Pinehurst), I would have expected more from the resort. The room was probably very nice back in the 70s or 80s. The problem is that the room hasn't been updated since then. Since I did not see any other rooms I don't have much else to go by other than my own personal experience. One positive was my bed was quite comfortable.

The dining room and lounge fit the rustic scenery much better than my room. The food was very good. Perhaps the time of year that I visited (Mid-March) was not a fair assessment of how nice the resort could be, but given that I've been to Pinehurst, and have seen what they do in order to make visitors feel welcome, I would say that Pine Needles has some catching up to do.

Service was good. Dining service very good. Not much pleasantry from the front desk personnel. Didn't interact with any other staff.

Room Tip: The resort is set up with several split-level homes, that have been converted to 4-5 rooms per home...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel was grand and interesting,the room was clean but needed some updating. My only big criticism: the room was very warm, the ac did not work, even with windows open and outside temps at a cool 40, the room remained to warm for a comfortable night sleep. The hotel did finally provide a portable fan which did help. Also this hotel is walk up,no elevator, not a problem for us but do consider this if you have some handicap that prevents walking up stairs. All in all , a good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Yorktown, VA
Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all, I give everyone who works here that we came across 5 stars for helpfulness, service and friendliness. The people staffing the check-in desk graciously reworked our package plan when we had to leave after only 2 nights, instead of the reserved 3. The bartenders, dining room manager and waitstaff were all so friendly and attentive. They all made us feel truly welcome.
We had 2 dinners in the dining room (one a special New Year's Eve multi-course meal). Veggies were well prepared and fresh. My sirloin steak the first night there was a bit on the rare side instead of medium rare as ordered, but nevertheless it tasted very good. My husband's prime rib on New Year's Eve was definitely too rare, for he ordered it medium. After he sent it back, it was more cooked, though still a bit underdone. Good flavor, though.
The breakfast buffet each day was just all right. Our made-to-order omelettes both had an off-flavor; the danish weren't as good as they looked, but the coffee was plentiful and flavorful.
Maybe because it's winter, the main lodge reminded me of a ski resort - lots of wood on the walls, fireplaces, comfy chairs and sofas. All in all, a very pleasant, historic-feeling atmosphere.
Our king room in one of the nearby small buildings was, well, drab. Lots of brown, beige, tan; dark furniture, small windows, dim lights, cluttered. As other reviewers have pointed out, it badly needs renovation. The furniture, wood on the walls, and inexpensive woodwork are nicked and gouged. The bed was comfortable, however, and we were given 2 brand new non-feather pillows when we asked for something without feathers.
We wish they offered a king-size bed in an upgraded room, but those rooms only have 2 doubles or queens.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southern Pines
Jefferson Inn
Jefferson Inn
#1 of 12 in Southern Pines
Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club
Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club
#6 of 12 in Southern Pines
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#3 of 12 in Southern Pines
SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
#2 of 12 in Southern Pines

Been to Pine Needles Resort and Country Club? Share your experiences!