“Smell ruined potential great dinner”
Review of Christopher's - CLOSED

Christopher's
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I want to be able to say we loved our first trip to Christopher's on Saturday, May 5. The food was delicious and the service was fantastic, but we could not ignore the fact that the ENTIRE dining room smelled of body odor. It was also evident on everyone else's face as they walked in. The entrance and lounge did not smell bad at all, however. I hope it was not the dining room itself but unfortunately it will be a long time before we return to find out, if we ever do. Like I said, we wanted to love it but we just were not able to enjoy being there.

There are newer reviews for Christopher's

Reviewed April 24, 2012

First, I would like to ask the person who commented that Christopher's is "way too fancy for a beach town" if they believe people who live in a beach town don't deserve nice and/or fancy restaurants? I was confused by that comment quite frankly. Thankfully Sneads Ferry is blessed to have Christopher's and not just hot dog stands or places that welcome people wearing bathing suits. (Yes, unfortunately I have witnessed people entering restaurants here wearing bathing suits and wrapped in a beach towel more than once. Never ceases to amaze me). For the record, I have worn shorts and flip flops to Christopher's and felt perfectly welcome and comfortable. I never see anyone overly dressed up here. Blue jeans or shorts are the norm but there is no shame in dressing up for dinner now and then.

I have been a patron of Christopher's for years as they went through several different owners and presumably chefs too. My comments are only for the current chef and management, Chef Christopher. Lets just forget about the dark days of "High Steaks". Shudder.

I have sampled many different dinners and appetizers here and will tell you that most were very good. Only once did I receive a dish that was a definite "miss". It was a pasta dish with tomatoes and chicken and the cheese served over the pasta was congealed and rubbery. That is the one time I left unsatisfied and is the reason I do not give Christopher's five stars here. I subtracted half a star for that one bad dish and also subtracted half a star for their prices. The food here is great usually and I would class it as a more upscale food selection but the prices are a little high even considering those things. $18.99 for one chicken breast, one small side and a very small salad is a little steep in my book. Enlarge the salad, add a second side dish and I would be more comfortable at that price point!

Some examples of the dinners that I have loved are the pork tenderloin, the chicken piccatta is to die for, the scallops here are excellent and a personal favorite, and their Sunday brunch is great! Chef Christopher personally mans the crepe/omelet station and also interacts with the customers. I have never found him to be uncaring or unwilling to accomodate special requests, quite the opposite. He is very friendly and sociable every time I have been there for brunch.

The food is quality, the staff is friendly and always welcoming. Give Christopher's a shot. Sneads Ferry is lucky to have them.

1  Thank Floopish
Reviewed April 11, 2012

It was awesome. No complaints. Possibly the best restaurant I've ever eaten at.

3  Thank Joel C
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Me and my husband went here and were total outcasts. You do not feel comfortable in causal clothing and it's pretty expensive. Wouldn't go again.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

I just returned from Christopher's and was blown away by the horrible experience. As a local, I am eager to find good restaurants in the Topsail area because we are definitely lacking in that department. Friends told me to re-check out Christopher's so we gladly gave it a try nice and early in the season before they would be too overwhelmed with tourists.

Where do I begin? Upon entering, we were asked if we'd ever been there before? What a ludicrous question. How and why does that matter unless their format was different than a standard restaurant (tapas-style plates, family-style, etc.)? We were seated immediately, got our beverages quickly and thought all was going go well.

My husband and I both ordered the special pork chop (without being told the price--a pet peeve of mine) with baked potatoes and salads. I wanted the caesar but was informed the dressing was not made in-house--such a turn-off from a restaurant that offers hand-cut steaks. Our friend ordered the strip steak with the same sides. She asked for sauteed onions on the side but was informed, "We don't have any onions." How on earth does a restaurant not have onions? Our friend ordered sauteed mushrooms instead.

Our pork chops were delicious--though my husband's was noticeably thicker than mine. The steak looked nothing like a strip--it was thin, oval and marbled with fat--not lean and with the rectangular shape of a strip steak. The sauteed mushrooms were, in reality, a mushroom sauce. All three of our potatoes were lukewarm, at best. We called the waitress over and told her they were cold and two of us asked for the mashed potatoes instead, thinking that it would be faster to get a scoop of hot mashed potatoes rather than wait for another potato to bake through.

The waitress brought one order of mashed potatoes and fled the scene before we could ask where the other one was. After a pretty lengthy wait, she came back and said she'd didn't know we wanted two orders. I dug into mine (they were nice and hot) but it took a good eight minutes for the other order to come and when it did, they were lukewarm so she couldn't eat them.

I don't know about you, but when I have a nice piece of meat I like to eat it WITH my side, not by itself. I ate over half of my pork chop without a side dish and my friend never got to enjoy a side dish with her steak, of which she ate about only one third because she was expecting a lean strip steak.

Our waitress took our plates and delivered the checks--without even asking if we wanted dessert. We were definitely being rushed out of the place.

The bills came and no surprise--our friend was charged an additional three dollars for the mushroom sauce though she never ended up with edible potatoes and barely touched her meal.

We asked to see the manager and the cook was sent over instead. He proceeded to explain that their baked potatoes were never served hot because "they would shrivel" but he insisted that they were "warm enough for butter to melt". We told him the second order of mashed potatoes were cold and inedible and he insisted they were warm. He never really acknowledged any of the restaurant's failures, preferring to double-talk us and get argumentative. I explained that we were locals and really wanted to return but he said that they weren't corporate and he couldn't do anything further for us. I have no idea what that means but that's what we were told.

What should have been a pleasant evening out with a delicious meal turned into a fiasco. I suppose Christopher's doesn't care about locals because once rental season comes, every week brings a fresh load of tourists though their revolving door, regardless of the quality.

2  Thank omenseeker