“THE worst motel I have ever stayed at!!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Village Motor Lodge
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Smithfield
noneyabusiness
“THE worst motel I have ever stayed at!!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The rooms are small, smell, and dark. NONE of the maids speak English!! I felt like I needed a passport or green card to stay here, between dealing with the Indian owner and Mexican maids. Stayed one other week, there were young folks drinking in the parking lot, getting loud in their room (next to mine), leaning on my room door, I went to talk to the owner and asked if he would talk to them or move me to another room and his response was "They are good people, I let them stay. If you still want to move, tomorrow i move you.". Great weekly price for location, but cleanliness and service does not even deserve one star! Never staying there again!

Room Tip: DON'T stay at village motor lodge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Megan-William H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

We checked into this motel and got room 104. As soon as we opened the door, the smell hit you. The room was very dark. We could not find a light switch to turn on fhe single light hanging over the table. The wiring on the hanging light had black electrical tape on it. There was a king size bed on the left side of the room. It looked like there may have been two double beds at one time. Where the right bed would have been, the wall had been roughly spackled and no paint!
I went back to the office and told the clerk that that the room smelled. He Gave me room154, and it smelled like a combination of pipe smoke and old dirty carpet. I went back to the office and got a refund. We drove up the road and checked into the Super 8 motel for $20.00 more with a brightly lit room, and very clean and non smelly.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank els0921
Florida, null, United States
Reviewed March 23, 2012

You can not please everyone. I do not think the last review was accurate. I stayed the same evening and ran the A/C not the heat, had plenty of hot water. Well maintained with excellent helpful Staff. Room was clean and well kept. Will be back when I travel exit 95 off I-95 in North Carolina.

Room Tip: Exit 95 off I-95 go east to Village Motor Lodge
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Charles L
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Someone suggested we stay at village motor lodge when our regular motel was full. It was 8:30 pm . We travel with our dogs who are well behaved and always on a lead. I asked at check in if they had internet since it was a necessary requirement for both my and my wife's job, it absolutly critical that we have internet. I was told by Mr Ramesh Patel that was no problem and he assigned a room number to us. Since it was getting late we went to dinner, then went back to the motel to unload and unpack. Wow! what a dump...... I don't mind old, but this place is nasty. Against better judgement we decided to stay, after several hours of reports my wife attempted to file her paperwork.........................NO INTERNET! I called the front desk and was told the signal was fine, so we tried another computer......No Signal. Well up to Denny's for their wifi. Now very late we tried to turn on the heat because it was cold.............No HEAT.
It was now about 2 am and we decided to just go to sleep. Now because of the crowd staying there I pushed a chair and wedged it in front of the front door. Awoke about 8am and then tried to take a shower, MOLD growing in the tub and shower area.......well I will try it anyway, NO HOT WATER.... I needed to bid some work for my company so back up to Dennys, returned at 10:am and started packing when some young PUNK was very rude to my wife and told we had 15 mins. to leave. Well I called the front desk and Mr Patel was absolutely rude. I told him he could charge us for a late fee if that were his feelings, we packed up and will never stay at that TRASH DUMP MOTEL again. I warn anyone on 95 to avoid the motel . It is at exit 95 in North Carolina. It it is filthy and you do not feel safe in your room, the locks on the door are poor, the heat is poor, there is no hot water, and the beds are from the 1950's and of poor qualiy. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN. Please be warned.....THIS PLACE IS A DUMP.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank william t
washington dc
Reviewed July 6, 2011

it was late, i was tired, it was kind of hard to see, and i had my dog with me. i took exit 95 (driving on north on I-95N), and the first motel i came to was an old, very Bates-motel-ish looking, old-fashioned motor court. it looked like an apparition from the 1950s. However ...

the rates were great, it was pet-friendly, so we stopped. And what a treasure we found.

this motel is so clean you could eat off the floor. they had just filled the swimming pool, and the pool, the water, and the surrounding area could not have been cleaner.
from what i saw, most of the furniture and other appointments are quite old, but again -- EVERYTHING was clean as a whistle. they charged me five bucks for my dog.

one nite, with dog: less than $45. plus, they have two handicapped-equipped rooms (ramps. bars, etc.) and a sign by every appliance (lights, AC, etc.) in the room with perfect directions for how to turn on/use stuff in the room.

the staff was quite nice and accommodating. this is the PERFECT budget motel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank seawoolf
alabama
Reviewed September 26, 2010

It is very good staff, everybody helpful. Housekeeping staff is good also.New a.c. unit works great. Rooms are great from inside. We heard that one movie producer was there in August with his staff and some parts in movie he took from there. We love this place for vacations. Great location for stay.Less than 1/2 mile have a outlet there. also near golf place. and so many restarunt.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank glucksman
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This was great place to stay for the money, if you do not want spend a lot of money for a overnight stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank firstvist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Best Western Smithfield Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites Smithfield
Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, Smithfield
Fairfield Inn & Suites Smithfield Selma/I-95
Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95

Been to Village Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!