Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Smithfield-Selma I-95
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Smithfield
Niagara Falls Canada
“Very Noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My Wife and I stayed here last week Have to agree with all comments The staff were great, the Hotel was very clean and well decorated We were given a room on the 2nd Floor and were amazed by the lack of Sound Insulation we could very clearly hear the people in the next Room talking and the folks Walking around above us, Needless to say we had a difficult time getting to sleep, and then were awoken early the next morning Not a happy Stay.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on 4th Floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linjohn12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
WDC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

First and foremost - this is a new and really clean hotel and the staff were all extremely pleasant and friendly. Everyone was always greeting you with a friendly, southern smile. It's newness did lead one of the check-in staff though to be a bit clueless on rooms and process but his pleasant demeanor overcame any real issues. Location is ideally situated right off the interstate and next to the outlets. Totally agree, though, that you can hear people next door, down the hall, and above you so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: pick a top floor (4th floor) so you don't have any noise from above.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Maryland suburbs of DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

My sister and I stayed here while embarking on a stressful two-day drive to take care of a family situation, so really wanted to be able to get a good night's sleep. We were delighted with this hotel- one rarely has high expectations for hotels along i-95! I was greeted warmly, my room key was ready to go. The hotel was in its 3rd week of existence, and as such was immaculate. The staff was clearly fresh off their customer service training- and kudos to management, your staff took the training to heart. Even the fellow shining the windows at 9:00 AM greeted us and asked about our stay.

The bed was uber-comfortable, the room was quiet, the decor was lovely. Nice bath products, soft and lovely towels. Really, you cannot ask for more.

The only downside, which I hesitate to mention, is I found the breakfast disappointing-- off brand breakfast cereals, old looking fruit, and non-appealing pastries were the offerings-- oh may be some scrambled eggs but no other alternatives (I'm not a scrambled eggs fan). My sister and I grabbed a few dry mini-muffins to tide us over and ate elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Ok...this hotel had been open for about 3 days when we stayed there. It presents very well. modern appearance, free internet, nice room layout. Staff was very polite.

BUT... the owners appear to have skimped on the construction. What i mean is this: it appears "stick-built." Hard to believe but you can hear people walking down the hall upstairs. You can hear them talking next door. You can hear everything. My wife is a light sleeper and asked for a quiet room. She was shown a room on the third floor. She assumed that was the top floor. We checked in and then realized there was a fourth floor. HELLO!!!! That old coot with the limp we saw in the lobby is STOMPING AROUND up there! We also had to move because people checked into the room next door and were talking. I'm not kidding...you could hear EVERY WORD. I found myself responding to their questions to each other. We had driven all day but packed up and moved to the fourth floor. Then it was ok. Moving after you're settled in stinks, though.

Also...the room was way out of line price-wise. (It was about 125$ when rooms at other hotels at this same exit on I-95 were about 80$) It was especially frustrating because we paid extra thinking we'd get state-of-the-art only to have the noisiest room we've stayed in in a long time. Very disappointed.

The breakfast was pretty good. Mass produced but they had little baby omelets that were actually pretty tasty.

Room Tip: definitely the top floor (fourth) if you want to chance it.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mrbrutaltruth
SmithfieldHotelStaff, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Smithfield-Selma I-95, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear mrbrutaltruth,

We want to Thank You for staying with us when we first opened. We appreciate the high remarks on cleanliness, customer service & breakfast. I am extremely sorry for the noise issues you experienced while visiting. We would like for you to revisit us in the near future. We wish all our guest were as kind as you, so have a good neighbor policy in place now. We know how important a wonderful night of rest is. We hope you and your loved ones have a happy and blessed holiday season.

Highest Regards,
Joe Lynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, Smithfield
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#7 of 10 in Smithfield
Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Smithfield-Selma I-95? Share your experiences!